Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Salma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Originally Posted by kunjal and shamir
sorry just realised you arent going till next summer!
I work at agency side but plan on going next summer but if i dont get the package i want with my employer will look to move jan/feb as i have some commitments so cannot leave before 2009.

I did send my CV but as it is a uk detals probably went staright for delete button!

where are you guys planning on going Manley?

it is lovely was there on holiday last yr and loved it!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

spsspence will become famous soon enoughspsspence will become famous soon enough

Hi Paddyo,

When were you in the RN? What were you?

I take it you stayed in the field with your civvy job?

Spencer.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:25 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spsspence
Hi Paddyo,

When were you in the RN? What were you?

I take it you stayed in the field with your civvy job?

Spencer.
I was in from 80 to 03. Started as Radar Op and left as Chief Air crewman.
The job I do now has nothing to do with my previous service life but there have been some parallels and synergies along the way.
Why do you ask?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

spsspence will become famous soon enoughspsspence will become famous soon enough

Just struck a cord as I was in from '87 to '94. Left as a Kilick Pinkie.

My first draft was supposed to be the Arck for Outback '88 but the bloke I was due to relieve extended and I got bumped to the Juno doing nav sea training for baby officers. Lol. Couple of my mates were on that trip and always remind me what fun it was, gits! Lol.

It's a funny thing but a lot of my ex Navy buddies are down under either in Oz or NZ, must have a draw. Other than a couple of years when I left getting used to being a civvy again I've been working abroad. I've been back for a couple of years and I'm looking to finally get out there late this year or early next. I live near Croydon and work in Slough so the sooner the better.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

kunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nice

Originally Posted by Salma
I work at agency side but plan on going next summer but if i dont get the package i want with my employer will look to move jan/feb as i have some commitments so cannot leave before 2009.

I did send my CV but as it is a uk detals probably went staright for delete button!

where are you guys planning on going Manley?

it is lovely was there on holiday last yr and loved it!
we are planning to go on a holiday working visa at the end of the year... or if i can get sponsored for a 457 may be early 09...

would love to live in manly, but really depends on what we can afford/ where jobs are etc...

I just want to go now!!!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:44 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Just struck a cord as I was in from '87 to '94. Left as a Kilick Pinkie.

My first draft was supposed to be the Arck for Outback '88 but the bloke I was due to relieve extended and I got bumped to the Juno doing nav sea training for baby officers. Lol. Couple of my mates were on that trip and always remind me what fun it was, gits! Lol.

It's a funny thing but a lot of my ex Navy buddies are down under either in Oz or NZ, must have a draw. Other than a couple of years when I left getting used to being a civvy again I've been working abroad. I've been back for a couple of years and I'm looking to finally get out there late this year or early next. I live near Croydon and work in Slough so the sooner the better.
lol...Slough!!! What an armpit!! I worked there for a while, our head office was on the Industrial estate, across the road from the building where they filmed the outdoor shots for The Office series.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Which building is that then? I work for O2 in Brunel way, behind the bus station and infron of the train station. I tell you, I have worked, and been to, some dumps in my time and this hole is right up there with them.

Croydon is not much better and thankfully I live nearer to Godstone. Jeez do I hate it here. Just counting the days.

Do you intend to try and gain pr out there?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:52 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Which building is that then? I work for O2 in Brunel way, behind the bus station and infron of the train station. I tell you, I have worked, and been to, some dumps in my time and this hole is right up there with them.

Croydon is not much better and thankfully I live nearer to Godstone. Jeez do I hate it here. Just counting the days.

Do you intend to try and gain pr out there?
Dunno yet, been here 2 months and not making a single decision until we have been out at least a year. Some things are good but some things are stupid. I have come out with my eyes open and just going with the flow at the moment.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Best way, as you say, just enjoying the coffee and paper on the ferry in the morning. Beats the M25 mate.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:56 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Best way, as you say, just enjoying the coffee and paper on the ferry in the morning. Beats the M25 mate.
**** me, the Beirut tram commute would be better than the M25 commute!! lol
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

we are planning to go on a holiday working visa at the end of the year... or if i can get sponsored for a 457 may be early 09...

would love to live in manly, but really depends on what we can afford/ where jobs are etc...

I just want to go now!!!
im fortunate that my mother in law has an apartment in manly so will live there and save and buy later on.

When my OH lived in syd he use 2 live in manly and commute to near the airport but which took a while but was a pleasent commute.

Unlike his commute from colo which is just past Windsor 2 hrs each way!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

kunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nice

Originally Posted by Salma
im fortunate that my mother in law has an apartment in manly so will live there and save and buy later on.

When my OH lived in syd he use 2 live in manly and commute to near the airport but which took a while but was a pleasent commute.

Unlike his commute from colo which is just past Windsor 2 hrs each way!
ouch!!
well i do nearly an hour on the Northern line - HELL on earth!
I would love to make my friends jealous and say i take a ferry to work!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

ouch!!
well i do nearly an hour on the Northern line - HELL on earth!
I would love to make my friends jealous and say i take a ferry to work!
well i can vouch for the ferry it is very nice unlike Northern line which can be a pain most of the time!

but he did commute to the airport if your in marketing you will be based in the cbd which is just about 40 mins from Manly ferry and then walk or bus!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Default Re: Sydney - Two weeks in!! UPDATE 1 Year!!

Hi all,
I won't make this too long, just a quick precis of my perceptions!!
Still live in Manly, still commute by Ferry/bus and still love it! Rentals have gone down in price and we actually have stayed where we are and got reduced from 700 to 650 a week!! Bonzer!!!
Visited some great places now we have a car, Blue Mountains, Windsor, Kurangai Park, Palm Beach, The Entrance, Canberra.....loads and all free!!!
Wife has a great job in Seaforth and is convenient for our lads childcare which is still of a very good standard.
I am really into it here, the food, the lifestyle and with the summer the beach!! I used to hate sea water and sand but now, almost every day (well, until this week with the onset of Autumn!!) me and the boy trot across the road barefoot in our budgie smugglers and enjoy playing in the water. His confidence in water, and life in general I would say, has grown immensely.
Every now and then my wife misses her mates in the UK, the girly chats, the gossip and her family. But, when she feels a bit low she grabs a glass of wine and sits on the balconey and almost immediately capturs the essence of why we are here. Christmas was a bit bizarre being in this hemisphere but I had made some great friends with work and we spent Christmas with some wonderful peiople, their families and friends on a vineyard in the Canberra Yass wine district. That particularly made my wife enjoy it more and I have just realised that wine plays an important part in our enjoyment of Oz!!!
Anyone wants any answers to questions just fire away and I promise to be as honest and objective as possible!! Will we stay?? Dunno, we do like it here and on a 3 year 457 so will have a good look at our options in another years time!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Jaidee is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to see alls going well........! Can I ask are you guys in a unit? I felt quite "pinned in" in their units? Quite small in size even though they mostly have the open plan feel.....Manly is so beautiful! Lucky guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.