Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Originally Posted by verystormy
Did you fly Singapore Air? We are. Where did you stay - we have booked the Ritz Carlton. Not sure how far that is from the resort, but might try and get there on the second day as we arrive early morning on the sunday and leave the evening on the monday
Yes, Singapore Air. Baggage was 25k each with as many bags as we wanted. Hand luggage PLUS laptops/shopping etc.
We stayed at the Silosi Beach Resort on Sentosa Island. Don't know where Ritz Carlton is.
Singapore Airport is very clean, almost serene at times compared to Heathrow. Loads of food and retails outlets.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:34 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Stormy, if you want to go to Sentosa you can get the MRT (subway) from City Hall, the nearest to the Ritz Carlton, to Dhoby Ghaut interchange. Change to another line and get the MRT to Harbourfront. which adjoins Vivo City, the newish mall Paddyo mentioned. Will take you about 15 mins in all.

Alternatively if you are wandering round Chinatown, you can get there directly from Chinatown MRT.

From Harbourfront you can take the Cable Car to Sentosa, alternatively the little monorail train or a Sentosa bus. Once on the island, buses around it are free. (You pay S$2pp to get onto the island.)

TBH it's not all that, it's very man-made (including the beach) and for such a quick trip I wouldn't bother going - but then I am a jaded Asia-dweller.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:40 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Stormy, if you want to go to Sentosa you can get the MRT (subway) from City Hall, the nearest to the Ritz Carlton, to Dhoby Ghaut interchange. Change to another line and get the MRT to Harbourfront. which adjoins Vivo City, the newish mall Paddyo mentioned. Will take you about 15 mins in all.

Alternatively if you are wandering round Chinatown, you can get there directly from Chinatown MRT.

From Harbourfront you can take the Cable Car to Sentosa, alternatively the little monorail train or a Sentosa bus. Once on the island, buses around it are free. (You pay S$2pp to get onto the island.)

TBH it's not all that, it's very man-made (including the beach) and for such a quick trip I wouldn't bother going - but then I am a jaded Asia-dweller.
Seasider, I say the same thing about Stonehenge!!!!! But visitors love it!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Seasider and Paddyo. It will depend on how hard the OH wants to hit the shops lol
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:55 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by verystormy
Thanks Seasider and Paddyo. It will depend on how hard the OH wants to hit the shops lol
oh dear......you really don't know her at all do you!!!!! lol
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paddyo
Company provided the relocation agent...only cos I pushed them to do so!!
I was looking at $650 being my max rental but it is manic here at the moment and the places in Coogeee were crap! I def recommend Raleigh Park, close to Coogee and City and the best of both worlds, plus a nice gated community, just no places when we were looking!
But as soon as my wife saw the place in Manly we were doomed!! Has it all for us, as a one child family, and Manly has everything you need and then some!
Hi, glad that you are enjoying yourself out there! Friends went for saefood dinner in Manly on Sat eve...ho hum...

Please can you let me know who you used as a reloaction agent...
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Well arrived in Sydney on our 457 Visa on the 29th March. Had stopped off in Singapore for 2 days to sight see and try and reduce the jetlag....didn't work!! Colleague I knew when in the UK met us at the airport and took us to our serviced accommodation. Plan was to stay there for a month until we found a plce of our own.Started work on the 1st April and now think I am getting into the swing of things.
Bank account and Tax File Number easy to sort out, walked into the bank with my passport etc and did the TFN online. Also popped down to the Immigration Office near to Central Station and got all our passports stickered with the Visa.
Work was hectic straight away which normally I like but in the back of my mind was ' where the bloody hell shall we live???'
Prior to coming out I was set on the Northern Beaches around Collaroy. Once here all I heard was 'long time to commute mate!!'. Took a drive all around the Eastern Beaches and the Northern beaches on the Sunday after we arrived. Just to get our bearings, yes, nice beaches, nice views, etc but the properties (within our range anyway) were not spectacular.
Spent the first week trying to do my job plus pumping everybody for information on where they lived etc. On the following Sunday we took the ferry to Manly...that was it...the wife was hooked!! Nice town, nice beach, nice restaurants....everything was bloody nice!! So that was added to our home list!
This week has been spent with a relocation agent showing my wife some properties in the Eastern Beaches and an area called Raleigh Park (very nice place near Kensington). She found the properties in the Eastern suburbs grotty but loved Raleigh Park. On the Wednesday they went over to Manly, looked at 8 properties, shortlisted 3 which we put applications in for, the rationale being that any of the 3 would of been great for our purposes. Having a relocation agent meant it easier getting viewings outside of the normal times and gave you a bit of kudos with the Estate Agents.
I faxed the applications over first thing Thursday morning, by 11am two of the Agents had called me saying they had been approved and did I want the property! Bloody hell, after all the horror stories I had heard the speed of it surprised me.
So decision time, I got the ferry over myself on the Thursday afternoon, checked out the properties for myself and I knew straight away which one my wife wanted, fantastic view over manly Cove out to Sydney and all mod cons with good size rooms (kitchens here are small so I wanted a decent size one).
But, I had to be realistic and gave them both a good going over in terms of presentation, floor space, rental price, etc. But the wifes favorite won it in the end, just because I knew that she had to be there all day so why not make it a place she felt happy in!
So moving to Manly in our new home next Saturday the 18th!! Its a 2 bed apartment on $700 a week. It is at the top of our range but its worth it, but it is right, you pay extra for the views...but what a view!!
Today....had our first Yum Cha lunch...fabulous!!!
Hope you all have success coming over!
Paddy, Kelly and Calum

Hi Paddy, Nice to hear that you are happy in Sydney. We will be there end of June. I have one question - how long do you think it will take you to commute between Manly and work? OH will be working in Paddington and we thought and heard that the commute would be long... So we are looking at the eastern suburbs.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:20 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by sharonm5
Hi, glad that you are enjoying yourself out there! Friends went for saefood dinner in Manly on Sat eve...ho hum...

Please can you let me know who you used as a relocation agent...
It was provided by my company, I will endeavor to find out for you. To be honest I did a lot of research myself and used them to ferry my wife around looking at the properties. The best thing about them is that Estate Agents give you better kudos for having a relocation agent, almost does away with your need for all those references.
We also had a seafood dinner there last saturday week.....living the dream!!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:24 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Millie11
Hi Paddy, Nice to hear that you are happy in Sydney. We will be there end of June. I have one question - how long do you think it will take you to commute between Manly and work? OH will be working in Paddington and we thought and heard that the commute would be long... So we are looking at the eastern suburbs.
For Paddington the Eastern Suburbs will be the quickest for commuting, seriously check out Raleigh Park in Kensington if any places are available, it is superb. But , come on, its Sydney!!! Gotta be a beach place hasn't it!!! And catching a ferry into work taking a half hour, or 15 mins by jetcat, cruise every morning just sounds soooo good!!
From Manly to Paddington would be 1 hour max at peak time, which includes half hour on the ferry drinking coffee and reading the morning papers!! Sexual chocolate!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

For Paddington the Eastern Suburbs will be the quickest for commuting, seriously check out Raleigh Park in Kensington if any places are available, it is superb. But , come on, its Sydney!!! Gotta be a beach place hasn't it!!! And catching a ferry into work taking a half hour, or 15 mins by jetcat, cruise every morning just sounds soooo good!!
From Manly to Paddington would be 1 hour max at peak time, which includes half hour on the ferry drinking coffee and reading the morning papers!! Sexual chocolate!!
thanks Paddy - should you not be asleep now...
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:40 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Millie11
thanks Paddy - should you not be asleep now...
nah....we are 9 hours ahead of you. Bizarrely daylight saving time here is reversed, we go BACK in spring, not forward so usually 11 hours ahead but not during DST.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:41 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Millie, any reason you wouldn't fancy living in Paddington? You'll find some lovely old terraced houses on side streets there, and Oxford Street is a very cool place to go shopping and eating.

We would probably have rented there if my husband wasn't going to work way up the North Shore.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Millie, any reason you wouldn't fancy living in Paddington? You'll find some lovely old terraced houses on side streets there, and Oxford Street is a very cool place to go shopping and eating.

We would probably have rented there if my husband wasn't going to work way up the North Shore.
Hi Seasider, my husband is joining the army and they have houses all over, however I don't yet know what's available. We would of course prefer a short commute. We also have 2 young kids - so have to find a place we all enjoy. Suppose I have to wait till I'm there and then decide I have newer been to Sydney so I'm just reading posts to see what other people recommend. Thank you for your tip though
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:22 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Paddy it sounds as though things are slotting in to place nicely for you, good luck with the manly apartment,

I liked manly a lot but felt it was a bit too crowded at weekends in the summer I prefer Cronulla which is similar but a cheaper area and a bit further out

You are right your wife is the one who will really live in the apartment so it is good for her to be happy in it. Enjoy yourselves
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by sharonm5

Please can you let me know who you used as a reloaction agent...
The relocation agent chosen by my company was Australia Wide Relocations, just add .com to that name and thats their website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.