Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Old Apr 12th 2008, 4:30 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Well arrived in Sydney on our 457 Visa on the 29th March. Had stopped off in Singapore for 2 days to sight see and try and reduce the jetlag....didn't work!! Colleague I knew when in the UK met us at the airport and took us to our serviced accommodation. Plan was to stay there for a month until we found a plce of our own.Started work on the 1st April and now think I am getting into the swing of things.
Bank account and Tax File Number easy to sort out, walked into the bank with my passport etc and did the TFN online. Also popped down to the Immigration Office near to Central Station and got all our passports stickered with the Visa.
Work was hectic straight away which normally I like but in the back of my mind was ' where the bloody hell shall we live???'
Prior to coming out I was set on the Northern Beaches around Collaroy. Once here all I heard was 'long time to commute mate!!'. Took a drive all around the Eastern Beaches and the Northern beaches on the Sunday after we arrived. Just to get our bearings, yes, nice beaches, nice views, etc but the properties (within our range anyway) were not spectacular.
Spent the first week trying to do my job plus pumping everybody for information on where they lived etc. On the following Sunday we took the ferry to Manly...that was it...the wife was hooked!! Nice town, nice beach, nice restaurants....everything was bloody nice!! So that was added to our home list!
This week has been spent with a relocation agent showing my wife some properties in the Eastern Beaches and an area called Raleigh Park (very nice place near Kensington). She found the properties in the Eastern suburbs grotty but loved Raleigh Park. On the Wednesday they went over to Manly, looked at 8 properties, shortlisted 3 which we put applications in for, the rationale being that any of the 3 would of been great for our purposes. Having a relocation agent meant it easier getting viewings outside of the normal times and gave you a bit of kudos with the Estate Agents.
I faxed the applications over first thing Thursday morning, by 11am two of the Agents had called me saying they had been approved and did I want the property! Bloody hell, after all the horror stories I had heard the speed of it surprised me.
So decision time, I got the ferry over myself on the Thursday afternoon, checked out the properties for myself and I knew straight away which one my wife wanted, fantastic view over manly Cove out to Sydney and all mod cons with good size rooms (kitchens here are small so I wanted a decent size one).
But, I had to be realistic and gave them both a good going over in terms of presentation, floor space, rental price, etc. But the wifes favorite won it in the end, just because I knew that she had to be there all day so why not make it a place she felt happy in!
So moving to Manly in our new home next Saturday the 18th!! Its a 2 bed apartment on $700 a week. It is at the top of our range but its worth it, but it is right, you pay extra for the views...but what a view!!
Today....had our first Yum Cha lunch...fabulous!!!
Hope you all have success coming over!
Paddy, Kelly and Calum
Old Apr 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
I'm really a monkey!

Normal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Originally Posted by paddyo
Well arrived in Sydney on our 457 Visa on the 29th March. Had stopped off in Singapore for 2 days to sight see and try and reduce the jetlag....didn't work!! Colleague I knew when in the UK met us at the airport and took us to our serviced accommodation. Plan was to stay there for a month until we found a plce of our own.Started work on the 1st April and now think I am getting into the swing of things.
Bank account and Tax File Number easy to sort out, walked into the bank with my passport etc and did the TFN online. Also popped down to the Immigration Office near to Central Station and got all our passports stickered with the Visa.
Work was hectic straight away which normally I like but in the back of my mind was ' where the bloody hell shall we live???'
Prior to coming out I was set on the Northern Beaches around Collaroy. Once here all I heard was 'long time to commute mate!!'. Took a drive all around the Eastern Beaches and the Northern beaches on the Sunday after we arrived. Just to get our bearings, yes, nice beaches, nice views, etc but the properties (within our range anyway) were not spectacular.
Spent the first week trying to do my job plus pumping everybody for information on where they lived etc. On the following Sunday we took the ferry to Manly...that was it...the wife was hooked!! Nice town, nice beach, nice restaurants....everything was bloody nice!! So that was added to our home list!
This week has been spent with a relocation agent showing my wife some properties in the Eastern Beaches and an area called Raleigh Park (very nice place near Kensington). She found the properties in the Eastern suburbs grotty but loved Raleigh Park. On the Wednesday they went over to Manly, looked at 8 properties, shortlisted 3 which we put applications in for, the rationale being that any of the 3 would of been great for our purposes. Having a relocation agent meant it easier getting viewings outside of the normal times and gave you a bit of kudos with the Estate Agents.
I faxed the applications over first thing Thursday morning, by 11am two of the Agents had called me saying they had been approved and did I want the property! Bloody hell, after all the horror stories I had heard the speed of it surprised me.
So decision time, I got the ferry over myself on the Thursday afternoon, checked out the properties for myself and I knew straight away which one my wife wanted, fantastic view over manly Cove out to Sydney and all mod cons with good size rooms (kitchens here are small so I wanted a decent size one).
But, I had to be realistic and gave them both a good going over in terms of presentation, floor space, rental price, etc. But the wifes favorite won it in the end, just because I knew that she had to be there all day so why not make it a place she felt happy in!
So moving to Manly in our new home next Saturday the 18th!! Its a 2 bed apartment on $700 a week. It is at the top of our range but its worth it, but it is right, you pay extra for the views...but what a view!!
Today....had our first Yum Cha lunch...fabulous!!!
Hope you all have success coming over!
Paddy, Kelly and Calum
Nice to hear things are falling into place for you. It must be scary sitting at work wondering where you will live etc! My OH and I (subject to 457 visa granted) will be moving in July and will also rent. We were in Sydney over New Year and spent some time in Manly and thoroughly enjoyed it and share your view that is is very attractive place. My job is in North Sydney so would be approx 1hr commute and therefore we will try to find somewhere nearer.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk
Nice to hear things are falling into place for you. It must be scary sitting at work wondering where you will live etc! My OH and I (subject to 457 visa granted) will be moving in July and will also rent. We were in Sydney over New Year and spent some time in Manly and thoroughly enjoyed it and share your view that is is very attractive place. My job is in North Sydney so would be approx 1hr commute and therefore we will try to find somewhere nearer.
It was scary, not least cos I am a complete control freak and was out of my comfort zone!! 1 hour commute is not unusual by the way!! Just like the UK it depends on the time you travel. But as we are on a 3 year 457 we thought we should at least try and enjoy the 'style' while we can and not just live in a grey house in a grey street that could be any other city, has to have the views and lifestyle with it.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paddyo
Glad thing are working out for you. We have a similar attitude about where to live, though $700 is just above our price range, more like $600. I dont need to commute other than once a every three weeks to the airport, so not too fussed about where, other than nice, place with nice view and things. How did you get a relocation agent - was this something the company provided? We have been looking at Manly, Mosman, Coogee etc.
Maybe i will see you at one of the Sydney meet up - we will be in Singapore 4 weeks today
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck, Paddyo.

We looked at Manly, Mosman, etc., but I thought it might be a bit yummy mummy over there for me. No kids, no SUV, no designer handbag, what to do?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:01 pm
I'm really a monkey!

Normal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really niceNormal for Norfolk is just really nice

It was scary, not least cos I am a complete control freak and was out of my comfort zone!! 1 hour commute is not unusual by the way!! Just like the UK it depends on the time you travel. But as we are on a 3 year 457 we thought we should at least try and enjoy the 'style' while we can and not just live in a grey house in a grey street that could be any other city, has to have the views and lifestyle with it.
I understand the control freak attitude - regrettably I am too. To the extent that I am capable of rationalising and taking the no risk option of staying in UK. However, at late 30's looking for some more excitement and adventure that Australia will provide. I was never too fussed about the place until two years ago, first trip, we had our first night in Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. When we arrived and stepped out of the car the smell of eucalyptus was so strong and the town setting idyllic it felt like paradise and we fell for Aus then. Any tips / links on sorting out pensions? We know the score re Super - we are more interested in pension planning when we return in 2-4 years time. I am transferring with my UK company.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:21 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Seasider
Best of luck, Paddyo.

We looked at Manly, Mosman, etc., but I thought it might be a bit yummy mummy over there for me. No kids, no SUV, no designer handbag, what to do?
lol......well in defence of my wife I think she is yummy...but, certainly not a SUV or PTA type...just a down to earth gorgeous wife and mother. No designer handbag either....just a recycle food bag from Woolworths!! The good thing about Manly is that there is no 'beach god/goddess' must have look...its very accepting of us normal bloaters!!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:24 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi Paddyo
Glad thing are working out for you. We have a similar attitude about where to live, though $700 is just above our price range, more like $600. I dont need to commute other than once a every three weeks to the airport, so not too fussed about where, other than nice, place with nice view and things. How did you get a relocation agent - was this something the company provided? We have been looking at Manly, Mosman, Coogee etc.
Maybe i will see you at one of the Sydney meet up - we will be in Singapore 4 weeks today
Company provided the relocation agent...only cos I pushed them to do so!!
I was looking at $650 being my max rental but it is manic here at the moment and the places in Coogeee were crap! I def recommend Raleigh Park, close to Coogee and City and the best of both worlds, plus a nice gated community, just no places when we were looking!
But as soon as my wife saw the place in Manly we were doomed!! Has it all for us, as a one child family, and Manly has everything you need and then some!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:27 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Normal for Norfolk
I understand the control freak attitude - regrettably I am too. To the extent that I am capable of rationalising and taking the no risk option of staying in UK. However, at late 30's looking for some more excitement and adventure that Australia will provide. I was never too fussed about the place until two years ago, first trip, we had our first night in Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. When we arrived and stepped out of the car the smell of eucalyptus was so strong and the town setting idyllic it felt like paradise and we fell for Aus then. Any tips / links on sorting out pensions? We know the score re Super - we are more interested in pension planning when we return in 2-4 years time. I am transferring with my UK company.
Would love to help but personal finance and pensions is not my forte!!
I already have a very good RN pension so am using my own company pension as a back up/holiday money!! When returning you can transfer your Super payments back into your UK fund, will be like you have never been away!!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:40 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Hi Paddyo
BTW.......if going to Singapore, try Sentosa Island...velly good!!! Plus Vivo City is the big Mall there, also its the main entrance to Sentosa!! Recommend both very highly!!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Paddyo...

we are a early 30's couple with a 3 yr old boy..have a 457 sponsorship going through at the moment and are hoping to get out to sydney in late september...my wife loves Manly too and we have been looking online at properties to rent..

got a question for you..i am going to be working in chatswood...is it feasable would you say to commute on public transport from Manly each day??

we are moving out from Dublin, my commute to work in the mornings can be anything up to 1hr..but coming home can sometimes take 2!!..hoping to not have that sort of scenario out there..

also..we are looking to rent an unfurnished place out there..ideally 3 beds..but 2 would do...is your place rented furnished??

thanks.

Russ
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

BTW.......if going to Singapore, try Sentosa Island...velly good!!! Plus Vivo City is the big Mall there, also its the main entrance to Sentosa!! Recommend both very highly!!
Thanks Paddyo.
Dont know if we will get to Sentosa as we are only staying one night and will probably just try and relax, maybe when we fly again
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:00 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
Paddyo...

we are a early 30's couple with a 3 yr old boy..have a 457 sponsorship going through at the moment and are hoping to get out to sydney in late september...my wife loves Manly too and we have been looking online at properties to rent..

got a question for you..i am going to be working in chatswood...is it feasable would you say to commute on public transport from Manly each day??

we are moving out from Dublin, my commute to work in the mornings can be anything up to 1hr..but coming home can sometimes take 2!!..hoping to not have that sort of scenario out there..

also..we are looking to rent an unfurnished place out there..ideally 3 beds..but 2 would do...is your place rented furnished??

thanks.

Russ
Hi, use this link http://www.131500.info/realtime/newjourney.asp to check your routes and times. Just find two streets in both towns and use them as reference points for your journey. The bottleneck in the area is a place called Spit Bridge, but, bus lanes work well there and they shoot past the rest of the traffic. Check out that site and see what is brings up.
As for rental, we have a 2 bed unfurnished (most of the long term lets here are unfurnished) as our furniture is on its way from UK. For a 3 bed place that will be expensive,but, if you are prepared to not be close to the sea you could find a place with some searching around.
By the way, Dubliners are not allowed in Manly....only Limerick boys!! lol
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:03 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Thanks Paddyo.
Dont know if we will get to Sentosa as we are only staying one night and will probably just try and relax, maybe when we fly again
lol....relax.....that was our plan, to try and reduce the jet lag. We did a night flight thinking it was the best option but not so sure now. We got to Singapore at 2.30pm, none of us had slept on the flight and when we hit the bed we were out for the light, woke up briefly at 11pm and then the next thing we knew it was 10am!!!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Did you fly Singapore Air? We are. Where did you stay - we have booked the Ritz Carlton. Not sure how far that is from the resort, but might try and get there on the second day as we arrive early morning on the sunday and leave the evening on the monday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.