First weeks in Cairns

Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First weeks in Cairns

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Thanks somme
House sale is still ongoing, we're on second lot of buyers now with a much lower offer certainly had our fair share of challenges over the last few months, latest today...phone call from landlord of a house we're supposed to be renting from Saturday, all been arranged for months, she announces they've decided to sell it...they're having open house sat and sun while I'm trying to move in said we can pay rent week by week and if it sells we'll have a month to leave
Hubby and kids arriving next week so that's one good thing

So sorry to hear about the house situation..think I would be looking for a new rental in the meantime!! Bet you can't wait for your family to arrive..it has been a long hard slog for you but things will come together..we have all this to come yet!!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:19 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
So sorry to hear about the house situation..think I would be looking for a new rental in the meantime!! Bet you can't wait for your family to arrive..it has been a long hard slog for you but things will come together..we have all this to come yet!!
Yes I'll be looking for a new place straight away, I've arranged for a load of furniture to be delivered there on sat and if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't move in at all. Seen a place I like the look of in Caravonica so might arrange a viewing.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Yes I'll be looking for a new place straight away, I've arranged for a load of furniture to be delivered there on sat and if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't move in at all. Seen a place I like the look of in Caravonica so might arrange a viewing.
Go for it you can always have your furniture delivered somewhere else, good luck
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with it all. How are you enjoying Cairns (apart from not having your family there)? Is it what you thought it would be, how are the shops, how does fresh produce compare, how freindly is it? We got good first impressions but because I had interviews all over the East Coast we only got to spend 3 days in Cairns itself. Any tips etc would be very grateful. how difficult was it to find a rental? Did they need references or anything or just a months deposit..is it a months deposit and a months rent upfront normally?

Sorry for all the questions..we are just doing finances here..nightmare!!!!

havn't sold our house yet either..market is sooo slow!! if we don't it will be a juggling act financially when we get to oz.

From march am going to try to get a regular get together going..starting with a move in BBQ at wherever I end up renting..you are very welcome. I figure we are all in the same situation and the more people you know the easier it is to settle in...
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by somme
Go for it you can always have your furniture delivered somewhere else, good luck

I agree, if you can view before wekend and take on the renatl straight away you should be entiltled t any deposits back you have paid on the other place..it is them who have broken the rental agreement by deciding to sell it.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:06 pm

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Good luck with it all. How are you enjoying Cairns (apart from not having your family there)? Is it what you thought it would be, how are the shops, how does fresh produce compare, how freindly is it? We got good first impressions but because I had interviews all over the East Coast we only got to spend 3 days in Cairns itself. Any tips etc would be very grateful. how difficult was it to find a rental? Did they need references or anything or just a months deposit..is it a months deposit and a months rent upfront normally?

Sorry for all the questions..we are just doing finances here..nightmare!!!!

havn't sold our house yet either..market is sooo slow!! if we don't it will be a juggling act financially when we get to oz.

From march am going to try to get a regular get together going..starting with a move in BBQ at wherever I end up renting..you are very welcome. I figure we are all in the same situation and the more people you know the easier it is to settle in...
Hi Trip
aside from all the hiccups I'm enjoying Cairns, I'd been here before a couple of times when I was much younger so knew what to expect. It's a very friendly place, people seem genuinely interested in others and always keen to help out if they can. The rental that has just let me down was arranged privately through someone I work with....well a friend of a friend sort of thing and at the moment I'm just lodging with a colleague so I don't yet have any experience of getting a place via an agent but I know the bond is a months rent and they also usually want two weeks rent in advance. Others I've spoken to seem to have found places without problems and I'll keep you posted onhow I get on. It's low season now so should be a bit more available.
There's plenty of shops...everything you could need is here, major shopaholics might yearn for big city boutiques but I'm happy with what's on offer.
We'll definately be up for a BBQ look forward to meeting you all
Old Nov 1st 2007, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Gonna chip in here. Me and the missus arrived in Cairns on 12/10 and so far are really liking it. We're from Wales but have spent 6 years in NZ before coming out here. Luckily enough to find a rental in Kewarra Beach, 10 minutes walk from the beach.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billy_NoMates
Gonna chip in here. Me and the missus arrived in Cairns on 12/10 and so far are really liking it. We're from Wales but have spent 6 years in NZ before coming out here. Luckily enough to find a rental in Kewarra Beach, 10 minutes walk from the beach.
So I now know who to ask to look out for a rental for us in kewarra beach!!!! Around march time!!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

So I now know who to ask to look out for a rental for us in kewarra beach!!!! Around march time!!
If everything goes to plan, you could get this one. We've got a 6 month lease but possibly hope to buy in the new year.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That's crap luck Karen.
2 rentals were sold under us so know what it's like but worse in your case cos we had contracts so they couldn't kick us out.

Do you need any help on Saturday ?

Me boot is quite big and the back seat goes down to make it even bigger..
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
That's crap luck Karen.
2 rentals were sold under us so know what it's like but worse in your case cos we had contracts so they couldn't kick us out.

Do you need any help on Saturday ?

Me boot is quite big and the back seat goes down to make it even bigger..
Thanks Bix, to be honest Westcourt wasn't my ideal location but I felt obliged to keep my word that I'd rent the place ...obviously the owners don't have the same scrupels letting me down 3 days before moving day but hey ho I'm not going to let it get me down as soon as we find a new place we'll be out of there.
The kids want to go to the state school in Redlynch so we'll be looking to move out that way.
Thanks for the offer of help on Saturday I think I'm OK, my present landlady/housemate has a friend with a ute so hopefully I'll get my bed and other stuff on that.
Nigel and the girls arrive next week so I hope you and the boss will come and have a drink with us, be good to catch up
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:56 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bix, to be honest Westcourt wasn't my ideal location but I felt obliged to keep my word that I'd rent the place ...obviously the owners don't have the same scrupels letting me down 3 days before moving day but hey ho I'm not going to let it get me down as soon as we find a new place we'll be out of there.
The kids want to go to the state school in Redlynch so we'll be looking to move out that way.
Thanks for the offer of help on Saturday I think I'm OK, my present landlady/housemate has a friend with a ute so hopefully I'll get my bed and other stuff on that.
Nigel and the girls arrive next week so I hope you and the boss will come and have a drink with us, be good to catch up

Give us a call if anything goes wrong and you need anything.

And we'll see you for that drink
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
Give us a call if anything goes wrong and you need anything.

And we'll see you for that drink
Will do, see you soon
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Will do, see you soon
Ooh Im getting sooo excited its coming around quickly my tickets came from trailfinders today we are all coming now son aswell. still no sale on the house. Things will settle when your little brood arrive. It will feel nice to have someone to have your tea ready when you get in from work aswell. Our men do have their uses sometimes. Im looking forward to cream tea at lake barrine when we get settled. Love that place. Hi Bixxy
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billy_NoMates
If everything goes to plan, you could get this one. We've got a 6 month lease but possibly hope to buy in the new year.
Can you send me a Private Message with your e mail details..if you don't mind??? Will be very interested....even if it's in April/May. easy for the landlord too..we have a dog though so it depends how they are with pets!!
How much do you pay a week? How many beds is it?

Thanks
Liz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.