British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Loblaw (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/loblaw-749906/)

russjp Nov 18th 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Loblaw

I`m on my way - had the phone call today offering me a position so my work permit application is going in and we`re coming to Canada :D

dustyhoward Nov 18th 2012 7:54 pm

Congratulations good stuff see you soon well done you will love it here

russjp Nov 19th 2012 3:43 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10389337)
Congratulations good stuff see you soon well done you will love it here

Cheers Dusty will hopefully see you around March time :thumbsup:

MrYak Nov 19th 2012 6:17 am

Well Done russjp congrats.

Big Truck, Loblaws do have trucks based in Calgary. The work from there is all currently to Alberta so wouldn't qualify as long haul for an LMO.
Nothing to stop you relocating there after sucking it up in Regina for a couple of years.
Regina's not a bad place really.

kb33 Nov 19th 2012 2:30 pm

Now BT is going to tell you how rich he is and moving over here just woudnt be worth it for him .
Been over this subject for the last six years . ;):p

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 19th 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10389288)
I`m on my way - had the phone call today offering me a position so my work permit application is going in and we`re coming to Canada :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations russjp, well done!

I know you have a friend out here but if there is anything we or OH can help you with let us know and we'd be glad to try and help :thumbup: We'll look forward to seeing you in the New Year:thumbsup:

dustyhoward Nov 19th 2012 7:31 pm

It's good here in Regina people moan about saying stomaching Regina
There is a fair amount to do here and of course there's Regina beach too which is really nice

dustyhoward Nov 19th 2012 7:34 pm

Well let's face it BT when are you going to be a man and venture to the wild west or are you going to stay in Belfast and be told what to do by Brussels
Or is the winters just too cold for you

dustyhoward Nov 19th 2012 7:35 pm

The job is far from boring

dustyhoward Nov 19th 2012 7:37 pm

The roads are clear the scenery is great the wild life is amazing the weather is bizarre keeps things interesting does the weather and to top it off you get paid more than you would ever get paid in the uk

flat to the mat Nov 20th 2012 12:00 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10391100)
The job is far from boring

So tell us what sort of runs you get ? Same all the time or whatever you're given etc , are they still itching to get rid of the portacabin dwellers or have their standards improved drastically ? You running pikes/singles ?
Only 8 weeks until you can apply for nomination , who's looking after that aspect ,you or them ?

dave_lol66 Nov 20th 2012 12:26 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10391104)
To top it off you get paid more than you would ever get paid in the uk

Must have had some very bad jobs in uk then. I will never earn as much as I did then but still manage a much higher standard of living.

russjp Nov 20th 2012 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 69 (Post 10390558)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations russjp, well done!

I know you have a friend out here but if there is anything we or OH can help you with let us know and we'd be glad to try and help :thumbup: We'll look forward to seeing you in the New Year:thumbsup:

Thanks very much and dont worry, i`m sure i`ll still have plenty of questions for you, it`ll be nice for my friend and his wife to be less pestered too lol :D

russjp Nov 20th 2012 5:24 am

Originally Posted by dave_lol66 (Post 10391554)
Must have had some very bad jobs in uk then. I will never earn as much as I did then but still manage a much higher standard of living.

Think it depends which part of the UK you are in really mate, There are vacancies still being advertised in our part of the country for less than £7 per hour and this is not much more than the National Minimum Wage. I am quite sad to be part of industry which has slid so far downhill in the last 5-10 years. If you speak to the old boys still in the business they`ll all tell you they were earning more money 20 years ago and i think you`d have to fall quite lucky nowadays to find a top paying job here anymore. Its sad but true i`m afraid:thumbdown:

Big Truck Nov 20th 2012 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10390480)
Now BT is going to tell you how rich he is and moving over here just woudnt be worth it for him .
Been over this subject for the last six years . ;):p

Doing Ok Kev,
thanks for asking!!!:thumbsup:

Defo for somebody in my position the Loblaws job does look attractive.:thumbup:

Thanks for the PM "Sats72" I will get back to you shortly!!!

BTW,
Don't you miss the "Shankill Protestant Boys"?!!!!!!!:D

dave_lol66 Nov 20th 2012 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 10392396)

BTW,

More of a Govan Proddy Boys myself but Shankhill were brilliant in their day;)

pat..sue Nov 21st 2012 12:25 am

I have had an offer of employment from Loblaws in Regina, can any of you guys who are there now give me your experience of working for them. Was finding accomodation easy, is it expensive, did the company help you in any way...did the company do most of the paperwork for you pr status or did you have to do it? What kind of money and hours are you getting if you don't mind me asking? I would appreciate any info you can provide.

thanks
Pat..Sue

Sats72 Nov 21st 2012 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 10392396)
BTW,

I was in the SMFB when i was a kid, but I always liked the Shankill Road Defenders, far classier band i thought. ;)

flat to the mat Nov 21st 2012 3:33 am

Originally Posted by pat..sue (Post 10393407)
I have had an offer of employment from Loblaws in Regina, can any of you guys who are there now give me your experience of working for them. Was finding accomodation easy, is it expensive, did the company help you in any way...did the company do most of the paperwork for you pr status or did you have to do it? What kind of money and hours are you getting if you don't mind me asking? I would appreciate any info you can provide.

thanks
Pat..Sue

The paperwork for PR is simple , download the relevant forms from tinternet and away you go ,it's not in any company's interest to hurry the process along .By doing it yourself you'll probably save months and it's not so daunting , you'll be in charge of your affairs rather than your employer .

heydon1983 Nov 21st 2012 5:14 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10393560)
The paperwork for PR is simple , download the relevant forms from internet and away you go ,it's not in any company's interest to hurry the process along .By doing it yourself you'll probably save months and it's not so daunting , you'll be in charge of your affairs rather than your employer .

the forms are easy to fill out you can do it online and print them off just remember to print them all at the same time not as you go along as there will be a bar code on the bottom and if you print it out at different times you get different bar codes and they will send it straight back to you if you fill them in by hand there isn't a bar code to worry about its neater to fill it online and looks more professional also you can save it and come back to it again look at Alberta immigration forms you should be able to goggle it they tell you which forms you need and what proofs you need to send ie work history letters of former employers to back your application things like that

dustyhoward Nov 21st 2012 9:37 am

Hi pat..sue
Welcome to loblaws it is a good company to work for I've been with them for 4 and a half months
Really nice mix of people to work with
Shifts vary with pretty much what you want
It's mostly night work you can have fixed weeks or varied what ever floats your boat money's good
I will send you a pm

pat..sue Nov 21st 2012 12:40 pm

thanks for your quick reply dustyhoward...yep sounds good thanks for the advice iv got my az licence already just a matter of gettin the keys and go...:thumbsup: thanks pat..sue sent you a pm

tattoo99 Dec 3rd 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Guys just had conformation of job after interview on 19th nov
Getting mixed feelings trawling through the forum .."Should i stay or should i go" i ask myself ......anyone working for loblaws that could give me the heads up ..would be appreciated

Mona Lisa 69 Dec 3rd 2012 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by tattoo99 (Post 10413635)
Hi Guys just had conformation of job after interview on 19th nov
Getting mixed feelings trawling through the forum .."Should i stay or should i go" i ask myself ......anyone working for loblaws that could give me the heads up ..would be appreciated

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tattoo99 - this is the question we all ask on here should I stay, should I go! This is something that everyone will tell you that only you can answer. I think if you are doubting it then the answer is probably no. Very difficult to answer this question as everyone has a different expectation and different circumstances. I will say though that there are a lot worse companies out there to work for than Loblaw and is a good route into Canada, albeit some people cannot stand Regina, I guess it's not for everyone, but we are happy here :)

For us (my hubby works at Loblaw) it was a yes all the way, well for him anyway, i've just gone with the flow in the end and had not major expectations. The weather has not surprised me one bit as really did expect the weather conditions we are getting, just never experienced them before. I guess on a brighter note the summer was good this year too, so maybe I have that to look forward to next year :thumbsup:

Just think about it seriously though as the Loblaw job is not as easy as people make out and you will find yourself moaning about the job the same as everyone else. No job is perfect, so to speak, all jobs have their problems and by personal experience being British, we love to moan. One thing I will say, is seriously think about the weather conditions, Sask (Regina), does have seriously bad weather conditions, changing from hour to hour from fog, freezing rain (strange experience of -12 degrees and raining!), snow, ice etc etc. An these will be nothing like you would of experienced in the UK. Really boils down to what you are looking for in a job. The roads are not as great as what you think either and they are an go on for miles with not a sole in sight - not necessarily a problem. For my hubby most of the time this is fine as not stuck on M25 car park or London traffic, so he kinda enjoys it.

With regards to Regina, this is a fairly small place and a lot of people I reckon would out grow it fairly quick, but suits us down to the ground. There is enough here for us and we were both sick of the London lifestyle (although we lived in Essex), hussle and bustle of that rush rush rush attitude we seem to have in the UK.

With regards to the job at Loblaw and shifts etc, i'm sure one of the guys will personal message you once you have posted three time on here to give you a heads up on what this entails.

All in all in my experience Canada is not as cheap as you think, although wages compensate I guess in some respects (well for us they do). Regina is small but bigger than I expected. The weather conditions (so far) have not been as bad as I imagined, but then I'm not driving in them and I'm fairly local to most of the shops I need. I think here is a lifestyle that you are moving to not just a job.

I'm not sure any of the above will help, but is an opinion :thumbsup:

mickfly Dec 3rd 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 69 (Post 10413845)

With regards to the job at Loblaw and shifts etc, i'm sure one of the guys will personal message you once you have posted three time on here to give you a heads up on what this entails.

That's the biggest PITA on these forums, so many people ask for info, but it's not posted on the open forum...why? Isn't everyone here to help everyone?

Mona Lisa 69 Dec 3rd 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by mickfly (Post 10413903)
That's the biggest PITA on these forums, so many people ask for info, but it's not posted on the open forum...why? Isn't everyone here to help everyone?

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if offended, but sometimes people like to ask personal questions too which they do not want to put on forum. I was only saying :thumbsup:

tattoo99 Dec 3rd 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by mickfly (Post 10413903)

I suppose everyone is entitled to there own opinion and for what i have read and heard there is a lot of playground squabbles when posting in an open forum ....I however would Happily take Opinion's/experiances ..either in open format or pm :thumbup:

tattoo99 Dec 3rd 2012 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 69 (Post 10413845)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tattoo99 - this is the question we all ask on here should I stay, should I go! This is something that everyone will tell you that only you can answer. I think if you are doubting it then the answer is probably no. Very difficult to answer this question as everyone has a different expectation and different circumstances. I will say though that there are a lot worse companies out there to work for than Loblaw and is a good route into Canada, albeit some people cannot stand Regina, I guess it's not for everyone, but we are happy here :)

For us (my hubby works at Loblaw) it was a yes all the way, well for him anyway, i've just gone with the flow in the end and had not major expectations. The weather has not surprised me one bit as really did expect the weather conditions we are getting, just never experienced them before. I guess on a brighter note the summer was good this year too, so maybe I have that to look forward to next year :thumbsup:

Just think about it seriously though as the Loblaw job is not as easy as people make out and you will find yourself moaning about the job the same as everyone else. No job is perfect, so to speak, all jobs have their problems and by personal experience being British, we love to moan. One thing I will say, is seriously think about the weather conditions, Sask (Regina), does have seriously bad weather conditions, changing from hour to hour from fog, freezing rain (strange experience of -12 degrees and raining!), snow, ice etc etc. An these will be nothing like you would of experienced in the UK. Really boils down to what you are looking for in a job. The roads are not as great as what you think either and they are an go on for miles with not a sole in sight - not necessarily a problem. For my hubby most of the time this is fine as not stuck on M25 car park or London traffic, so he kinda enjoys it.

With regards to Regina, this is a fairly small place and a lot of people I reckon would out grow it fairly quick, but suits us down to the ground. There is enough here for us and we were both sick of the London lifestyle (although we lived in Essex), hussle and bustle of that rush rush rush attitude we seem to have in the UK.

All in all in my experience Canada is not as cheap as you think, although wages compensate I guess in some respects (well for us they do). Regina is small but bigger than I expected. The weather conditions (so far) have not been as bad as I imagined, but then I'm not driving in them and I'm fairly local to most of the shops I need. I think here is a lifestyle that you are moving to not just a job.

I'm not sure any of the above will help, but is an opinion :thumbsup:

Going to take the Plunge anyway ....Got to get away from the all day rush hour that is now on the M6 ...lol :lol:

Mona Lisa 69 Dec 4th 2012 12:15 am

Originally Posted by tattoo99 (Post 10413971)
Going to take the Plunge anyway ....Got to get away from the all day rush hour that is now on the M6 ...lol :lol:

Go for it! :thumbup:

flat to the mat Dec 4th 2012 1:04 am

Congrats tattoo99 , but don't come here just as a way of escaping the crap that is now Britain . If the plunge is taken it's because you want to live in the free world , well worth doing but not a decision made lightly .

Mona Lisa 69 Dec 4th 2012 2:26 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10414528)
Congrats tattoo99 , but don't come here just as a way of escaping the crap that is now Britain . If the plunge is taken it's because you want to live in the free world , well worth doing but not a decision made lightly .

------------------------------

Maybe Mark Carney might sort England out lol :fingerscrossed:

russjp Dec 4th 2012 4:18 am

Congrats tattoo99. we are in the same position as you having just sent off for my work permit yesterday after being offered a position a couple of weeks ago. I already know someone who works for Loblaws so i`m at a slight advantage when it comes to inside info but you should get help on here, they`re a good bunch ( allegedly :D ).

I think with regard to settling in Regina, it greatly depends on the place you are moving FROM to go there. I would imagine moving there from a large, bustling city would be a bit of a culture shock for anyone. We only live in a small town currently but as we have moved around quite a bit during our lives, we just see it as a new start and the next part of the jigsaw called life. Everyone in our house is really excited at the prospect of moving out there but nobody can make the decision for you, all I would say is if you are having doubts now, then you should think very hard about what you and whoever may be travelling with you REALLY want.

Mona Lisa 69 Dec 4th 2012 4:29 am

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10414730)
Congrats tattoo99. we are in the same position as you having just sent off for my work permit yesterday after being offered a position a couple of weeks ago. I already know someone who works for Loblaws so i`m at a slight advantage when it comes to inside info but you should get help on here, they`re a good bunch ( allegedly :D ).

I think with regard to settling in Regina, it greatly depends on the place you are moving FROM to go there. I would imagine moving there from a large, bustling city would be a bit of a culture shock for anyone. We only live in a small town currently but as we have moved around quite a bit during our lives, we just see it as a new start and the next part of the jigsaw called life. Everyone in our house is really excited at the prospect of moving out there but nobody can make the decision for you, all I would say is if you are having doubts now, then you should think very hard about what you and whoever may be travelling with you REALLY want.

Least you guys will be joining when moving into the warmer weather - or so they say!!!!! Keep us all updated, i'm sure u will :-);)

flat to the mat Dec 4th 2012 4:40 am

Nah , we've got another 5 months of this crap still to come , can only hope the temps drop soon so no more freezing rain rubbish . Happy days eh ? :rofl:

Mona Lisa 69 Dec 4th 2012 5:24 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10414752)
Nah , we've got another 5 months of this crap still to come , can only hope the temps drop soon so no more freezing rain rubbish . Happy days eh ? :rofl:

The freezing rain not funny not from my side and i I dont even drive!
:fingerscrossed:

tattoo99 Dec 4th 2012 10:37 am

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10414730)

Not really Doubts ..Just mixed feelings Been wanting this lifestyle change for a long time and now the kids Grown up and moved ..Think this is an Oppertunity not to be missed ..Hey if it all goes wrong it's only a flight away ..Fingers crossed it will be fine :thumbsup:

Nikkinoo75 Dec 8th 2012 10:53 pm

HI, Just thought I'd pop in and say that my Hubby has just been offered a job with Loblaw.

We have been down this road with a couple of other companies before and things have not worked out, so I'm a bit skeptical - Hubby has no doubts though - he just needs to convince me!

Life in the UK is getting worse for us, we have three children and we both struggle with secure employment, which makes finances very difficult.

Hubby is convinced that life will be better for us and our children's futures. He has no family to leave behind though, whereas I have, and also worry how this will effect our children. Our eldest is due to start his GCSEs next September and I'm worried about damaging his education.

Sorry to ramble on. Anyway, I've read the last 10 pages of this thread and it all looks pretty positive, (apart from the cold :ohmy:).

Would be good to chat to others going through the process or those who've already made the move - especially those with children. Our children are 13, 7 and 18 months.

Nikki

alandoug Dec 9th 2012 12:39 am

Nikki,
The only warning I would voice is that Regina is in the Prairies. It's flat & featureless. Yes, cold too.
In the summer it's hot with plenty of bugs, which usually bite.

Would finance stretch to a Recife trip? Might save a lot in the long run?

Nikkinoo75 Dec 9th 2012 1:09 am

Originally Posted by alandoug (Post 10423659)
Nikki,
The only warning I would voice is that Regina is in the Prairies. It's flat & featureless. Yes, cold too.
In the summer it's hot with plenty of bugs, which usually bite.

Would finance stretch to a Recife trip? Might save a lot in the long run?

Thanks - I'm afraid finances would not stretch to a trip over there - we already did that back in 2006, but to Calgary - spent far too much :(

We had been hoping to move to Calgary area but that's not possible at the moment, although my Husband expressed this in his interview and was told that the company could help with relocating at a later date as they have work in Alberta too - but restrictions on emigration and work permits apparently.

flat to the mat Dec 9th 2012 4:12 am

It's not flat and featureless , we live in a valley that stretches across the whole Province ,and the bugs this year didn't appear ;)
Question for any Loblaw wifes and partners ( Mona Lisa ) , do they have anyone helping new families to relocate ? Just a thought because as a few of you can't work for six months would the company like you to help out with this , finding rentals etc , someone to answer concerns and questions about things which people living here take for granted but to newbie is a big deal , you know what I mean .
It could be done on a voluntary basis , please clear it with CIC , but could be a good way of keeping busy until the work permit comes and , who knows Loblaws might appreciate the gesture when your six months are up .
Just an idea ??????????????