British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Loblaw (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/loblaw-749906/)

Mona Lisa 69 Dec 9th 2012 4:23 am

Re: Loblaw

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10423796)
It's not flat and featureless , we live in a valley that stretches across the whole Province ,and the bugs this year didn't appear ;)
Question for any Loblaw wifes and partners ( Mona Lisa ) , do they have anyone helping new families to relocate ? Just a thought because as a few of you can't work for six months would the company like you to help out with this , finding rentals etc , someone to answer concerns and questions about things which people living here take for granted but to newbie is a big deal , you know what I mean .
It could be done on a voluntary basis , please clear it with CIC , but could be a good way of keeping busy until the work permit comes and , who knows Loblaws might appreciate the gesture when your six months are up .
Just an idea ??????????????

-------------------------------------------

Agree flat to the mat - I have tried to give as much advice as I could, but sometimes I can't help as I don't have kids etc but have offered help via others who do. I guess all new learning process for Loblaw too, an from my experience i've had some good advice and help from people who do not even live in Regina, so I think myself lucky. Although at the end of the day boils down to individual of what they are looking for. I've had on here that I should leave my hubby and it's all not worth it, but we've worked at it, not been easy by long shot! I'm here now and most know that they can contact me and i've plenty time on my hand and happy to help :thumbsup: I just hope that works out for others as seems so far has done for me. Still hoping for dog for Christmas :thumbsup: to keep me company! So Mr H you might need to pull ya finger out as not many days left :thumbup:

russjp Dec 9th 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Nikkinoo75 (Post 10423598)
HI, Just thought I'd pop in and say that my Hubby has just been offered a job with Loblaw.

We have been down this road with a couple of other companies before and things have not worked out, so I'm a bit skeptical - Hubby has no doubts though - he just needs to convince me!

Life in the UK is getting worse for us, we have three children and we both struggle with secure employment, which makes finances very difficult.

Hubby is convinced that life will be better for us and our children's futures. He has no family to leave behind though, whereas I have, and also worry how this will effect our children. Our eldest is due to start his GCSEs next September and I'm worried about damaging his education.

Sorry to ramble on. Anyway, I've read the last 10 pages of this thread and it all looks pretty positive, (apart from the cold :ohmy:).

Would be good to chat to others going through the process or those who've already made the move - especially those with children. Our children are 13, 7 and 18 months.

Nikki

Hi, I`m in the same position as your OH and will be starting with Loblaw as soon as my TWP turns up, my wife and I are moving to Regina with our 9 year old son so if you want to clash heads at any point then just let us know :D

Russ

Nikkinoo75 Dec 9th 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10424645)
Hi, I`m in the same position as your OH and will be starting with Loblaw as soon as my TWP turns up, my wife and I are moving to Regina with our 9 year old son so if you want to clash heads at any point then just let us know :D

Russ

Thanks, my Husband is working away in Morrocco at the moment, so he's planning to send off all the paperwork when he returns next week - I'm sure he'd love to keep in touch too.

Speak soon

Nikki

tattoo99 Dec 11th 2012 2:15 pm

Visa Question ....got all relevent paperwork to send to london ...but confused as to weather to send passport or a copy of the passport ...Am i actually applying for a temp resident visa or not ?
confused.com
any Help Guy's ?

tattoo99 Dec 11th 2012 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by tattoo99 (Post 10427707)
Visa Question ....got all relevent paperwork to send to london ...but confused as to weather to send passport or a copy of the passport ...Am i actually applying for a temp resident visa or not ?
confused.com
any Help Guy's ?

Think iv'e sussed this one But my passport expires in oct2013 and hope this does not effect the app

jamesmc Dec 11th 2012 2:32 pm

????
your twp lasts as long as your passport is valid.
what are you sending to London?
thought the Loblaws drivers were picking up TWP at point of entry into Canada.
you can arrive in Canada with LMO,paperwork you get TWP at airport.
if passport running out in oct2012 thats all the time you get

tattoo99 Dec 11th 2012 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10427734)
????

Yeah got the lmo number and all other docs to send ...just trying to work out the fee ..think its £100 ...but need to clarify this
Passport runs till oct 2013 so have time to re-apply for a new one :thumbsup:

meritor Dec 11th 2012 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by tattoo99 (Post 10427711)
Think iv'e sussed this one But my passport expires in oct2013 and hope this does not effect the app

GET A NEW PASSPORT.they probably won't issue anything on a passport that old,if i remember correctly i was told to have at least 3 to 4 years left on it.

MrYak Dec 11th 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by meritor (Post 10428078)
GET A NEW PASSPORT.they probably won't issue anything on a passport that old.

+1

Should be OK to apply to the Embassy with the one you have, but get a new passport before you arrive. Will save you a lot of hassle down the line.

russjp Dec 11th 2012 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10427734)
????

No mate, we have to have our TWP`s in place before our flights get booked:thumbsup:

jamesmc Dec 11th 2012 7:31 pm

ok didnt realise company insisted on twp from london instead of picking up at airport..:o
ps its -22c +windchill in MB at mo..
:thumbsup:
jimmy.

MrYak Dec 11th 2012 8:07 pm

You get your work permit from immigration when you land in Canada.

You get a letter of recommendation from the Embassy in London to give to immigration.

jamesmc Dec 11th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by MrYak (Post 10428247)

You get a letter of recommendation from the Embassy in London to give to immigration.

What ever next? thats a new one never heard o doing that but ya do it what ever way Loblaws want.

russjp Dec 11th 2012 10:14 pm

Yes, sorry mate i knew what i meant but didn`t put it very well thanks :thumbsup:

russjp Jan 17th 2013 6:37 pm

Bit confused, does your letter come in the post physically or is it emailed to you. My friend is coming over to work for Loblaws too but only sent in his paperwork 4 weeks ago and has just received an email saying he`s been approved. My paperwork has been there 4 weeks longer than his and i`ve heard nothing ?? Does this time frame sound right as i thought it was likely to be 8 weeks minimum ??

MrYak Jan 18th 2013 8:40 am

My approval letter came in an email, never got anything thru the post from the Embassy.

Timescale - Who knows how these places work, I think mine took 13 weeks!

tattoo99 Jan 18th 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by MrYak (Post 10490468)
My approval letter came in an email, never got anything thru the post from the Embassy.

How you finding it over there ?

russjp Jan 19th 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by MrYak (Post 10490468)

Thanks mate, think the frustration of waiting around is starting to kick in :frown:

russjp Jan 22nd 2013 10:15 am

Well its now official, i`ve got my work permit approval so its all systems go :thumbsup:

tattoo99 Jan 22nd 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10498288)
Well its now official, i`ve got my work permit approval so its all systems go :thumbsup:

Great to hear ....still got a couple of things
To send then should have the green light

russjp Jan 22nd 2013 8:34 pm

Shouldn't be too long hopefully mate

kb33 Jan 22nd 2013 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10498288)

Best of luck , At least you will have the bulk of winter behind you , Can still get nasty through till early April though .

russjp Jan 23rd 2013 4:27 am

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10499855)
Best of luck , At least you will have the bulk of winter behind you , Can still get nasty through till early April though .

Yeah thanks bud, will be sat in a classroom for the first couple of weeks so might miss it completely, not too bothered really as we`ve gotta deal with it at some point:D

lozhickmore Feb 5th 2013 9:44 am

Hi Guys, was just doing some research on Loblaw and found this forum. I am heading over to Regina on the 19th March to start work with Loblaw, is anyone else leaving on this date??

tattoo99 Feb 5th 2013 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by lozhickmore (Post 10526011)
Hi Guys, was just doing some research on Loblaw and found this forum. I am heading over to Regina on the 19th March to start work with Loblaw, is anyone else leaving on this date??

No but shouldn't be too far behind you :thumbup:

lozhickmore Feb 5th 2013 5:09 pm

I think there are 12 brits going over in 2 groups. have you had any news on your work permit??

tattoo99 Feb 5th 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by lozhickmore (Post 10526763)
I think there are 12 brits going over in 2 groups. have you had any news on your work permit??

still waiting sent last few docs last monday ..so shouldn't be too long now :fingerscrossed:

lozhickmore Feb 5th 2013 5:53 pm

I was shocked how quick mine was mate, sent it on the 18th December and had my visa on the 3rd of Jan so doubt you will be waiting long

tattoo99 Feb 5th 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by lozhickmore (Post 10526866)
I was shocked how quick mine was mate, sent it on the 18th December and had my visa on the 3rd of Jan so doubt you will be waiting long

Hopefully it will be end of feb gives my passport
Time to come back :-)

russjp Feb 5th 2013 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by lozhickmore (Post 10526011)

Yes mate, my family and I are travelling on the 19th march too :thumbsup: one of my friends is travelling with us too and another of my friends is in the second group going out 8 April lol

tattoo99 Feb 6th 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10527330)
Yes mate, my family and I are travelling on the 19th march too :thumbsup: one of my friends is travelling with us too and another of my friends is in the second group going out 8 April lol

I maybe on the Second Shift ....lol :thumbsup:

Stich Feb 13th 2013 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by lozhickmore (Post 10526866)

Hi lozhickmore, what kind of visa did you need?

lozhickmore Feb 15th 2013 8:13 pm

I have a 2 year working/study visa. Its about £75 for the application but was very easy. Have you had any news??

Stich Feb 15th 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by lozhickmore (Post 10548143)
I have a 2 year working/study visa. Its about £75 for the application but was very easy. Have you had any news??

Hi, ye my OH is on his way in April. Sorry its probably the word 'visa' that i'm getting mixed up with, I think it the same as the work permit my OH has. We where surprised at the speed his came through too & we had a wee glitch.

Do you have a date yet?

lozhickmore Feb 18th 2013 5:28 pm

Yeah im flying on the 19th March, just want to get over now and start work

spoilt1033 Feb 20th 2013 11:18 am

hi all,

spoilt1033 Feb 20th 2013 11:57 am

should be canada bound at end of april/ beginning of may with loblaw.

Got my Temp Working Visa authorised by Immigration and i am supposed to collect it from the airport on landing in canada. Was sent an email (Authority Letter) by Immigration saying to take it with me to airport and show on arrival.

Q. is anybody else going out around same time?

Q. Does anyone know the format for accommodation/ transport on arrival

ie: Do we sort it out or does loblaw? costs for transport/ Accommodation?)

Q. Is transport laid on for the duration of the training (2-3 Weeks?)

Just trying to find a few answers so i know what to expect when i arrive

Any help would be appreciated

russjp Feb 20th 2013 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by spoilt1033 (Post 10556668)
should be canada bound at end of april/ beginning of may with loblaw.

Got my Temp Working Visa authorised by Immigration and i am supposed to collect it from the airport on landing in canada. Was sent an email (Authority Letter) by Immigration saying to take it with me to airport and show on arrival.

Q. is anybody else going out around same time?

Just trying to find a few answers so i know what to expect when i arrive

Any help would be appreciated

Hi mate, i`m travelling over on 19th march in the first group - you`ll get an email along with your flight details answering all these questions for you from Loblaws Management team ;)

MrYak Feb 20th 2013 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by spoilt1033 (Post 10556668)

You will be met at the airport and taken to a hotel (if you have not already arranged accommodation.) You are responsible for the bill. Not sure which hotel they're now using but Loblaws usually negotiate a cheaper rate

Transport to work during training is provided (Taxi)

tattoo99 Feb 21st 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by MrYak (Post 10557485)
You will be met at the airport and taken to a hotel (if you have not already arranged accommodation.) You are responsible for the bill. Not sure which hotel they're now using but Loblaws usually negotiate a cheaper rate

Transport to work during training is provided (Taxi)

Hows the hotel settled do loblaws pay upfront then deduct ?