British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Loblaw (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/loblaw-749906/)

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 5th 2012 6:29 am

Re: Loblaw

Originally Posted by Chicken lights and chrome (Post 10366001)
Turkey bulb, I like that:rofl:

So seeing as you've sussed out the banter side of things and are playing nicely, how about telling the masses about the job?

Has it lived up to your expectations?

What are the runs like?

Are you getting the miles and the home time you were promised?

What does an average week consist of?

How are you and your family enjoying living in Regina?

Would you recommend the job to others?

Do you think you will still feel the same in 6months?

What do you think of the weather and the road conditions so far?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably not best person to answer questions above, but have a rough idea and again just an opinion - For my husband yes job has lived up to his expectations, as working in UK he would leave on a Monday morning at around 3am/4am and most weeks not return until Friday around 8pm. So thought of being able to sleep in his own bed every day a bonus in itself!:thumbsup:

With regards to the runs, depends on what run you land up picking or getting, again my hubby happy with his run. Roads maybe not as good as originally thought, but in general he was lucky enough to get something that suited him, but this might not suit everyone depending on what your original job was in the UK.

As said above he manages to sleep in his own bed everyday so for him the hours he is doing are fine, but some of the other runs some of the guys are doing could of left him being away from home for days on end (not weeks though).

Ok, fair play to those out for days on end and they might be earning a bit more money than my hubby, but at end of day, it has to also be a quality of life too, as no point him killing himself to earn a few extra dollars. He appears to be earning enough to pay the bills and still have money left over to have a few beers and do the enjoyable things he likes.

I think for us it is about lifestyle and not all about earning a fortune and that we get to spend more time together and be able to enjoy things.

Personally I think it's difficult to recommend to others as everyone has different situations and expectations. I think in our case it was more of wanting to get out of the UK and Canada seemed appealing. An Canada would provide a better environment and lifestyle for us, again not for everyone. An in our situation we didn't have kids we were bringing over and having to put through school, so slightly easier as only having to settle ourselves.

Can't comment on how hubby will feel in 6 months as not got there yet and as for weather conditions. Snow only barely just started so could be a whole different scenario. -30 conditions still to experience, but i have been told by a fair few Canadian friends that it is one of those things that you just deal with and at least Canada is prepared. Unlike the UK where I know we don't have this weather regular so the whole country hits a standstill!

I know the west country had 6 inches of snow yesterday and really freak weather conditions, so something that was so not predictable!:thumbdown:

I guess at least in Canada your expecting it and deal with it! I know going to work sometimes in London was chore in itself with wrong leaves on the tracks, so if snow arrived was always a no no to be able to get to work.

Not sure any of the above would help anyone, but just our experience so far!

I'd like to hear from anyone else out there who have done the same and how they are getting on.:thumbsup:

I think moving anywhere will never be smooth. My sister moved recently from Luton to Torquay and her husband is still looking for work 9 months later, although better lifestyle for them its not been easy and a big step for them after living somewhere for nearly 25 years. :thumbup:

WAKKA Nov 5th 2012 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chicken lights and chrome (Post 10366001)
Turkey bulb, I like that:rofl:

So seeing as you've sussed out the banter side of things and are playing nicely, how about telling the masses about the job?

Has it lived up to your expectations?

What are the runs like?

Are you getting the miles and the home time you were promised?

What does an average week consist of?

How are you and your family enjoying living in Regina?

Would you recommend the job to others?

Do you think you will still feel the same in 6months?

What do you think of the weather and the road conditions so far?

I would also add whats the cost of living like?

And how long did it take you to get into your own rented accommodation

WAKKA Nov 5th 2012 2:22 pm

Still cant help but get a little excited and it is only an interview

flat to the mat Nov 6th 2012 12:20 am

Mona Lisa you're bang on with the quality v quantity attitude , why move all the way out here and have a lifestyle that's no better ?
There is so much work in SK that once hubby is free from his obligations he can pick and choose whatever suits him ,be it Loblaws or whoever . A good situation to be in :D Did you manage to get your TWP at arrival ?

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 6th 2012 11:58 am

Originally Posted by WAKKA (Post 10367038)
I would also add whats the cost of living like?

And how long did it take you to get into your own rented accommodation

-------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, can't comment on cost of living realistically as our rent includes, electric, water, cable TV, Internet etc so individually do not know what they cost. This seems comman as few other lads doing it this way too.

Hubby managed to secure a house after being there a month so not too bad an the other two lads he was out there with did too. Think you can be fairly lucky with accommodation as seems plenty just have to be careful of certain areas rougher than others :thumbup:

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 6th 2012 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by WAKKA (Post 10367043)
Still cant help but get a little excited and it is only an interview

--------------------------------

Understand where your coming from as my hubby felt same way an was more or less out there within three months being interviewed, so if u believe it can happen. Think you have to go with open mind though an take each day as it comes. Also think my hubby wanted to move so much he would made anything work :)

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 6th 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10367877)
Mona Lisa you're bang on with the quality v quantity attitude , why move all the way out here and have a lifestyle that's no better ?
There is so much work in SK that once hubby is free from his obligations he can pick and choose whatever suits him ,be it Loblaws or whoever . A good situation to be in :D Did you manage to get your TWP at arrival ?

---------------------------------------

Agree has to be lifestyle!

Hubby happy with his job at the mo so reckon unless something goes seriously wrong he'll do his time as such with Loblaws.

Never tried for TWP at port of entry thought might as well take some time off to chill out an look at applying when get there an see how it goes. Means I can do some baking an cooking at build up to Christmas lol the quiet life no more hour an half journey in morning an evening back an forth to London going to be pure bliss! :thumbsup:

flat to the mat Nov 7th 2012 4:20 am

He might as well stay there now , remember to apply for nomination as soon as he has worked there for six months , do not wait for Loblaws to do it for you , it's not in their favour to have hubby on parole .

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 11th 2012 6:53 am

Well I've finally landed got my visa to stay here as long as hubby. Need to now look into getting work visa next. Arrived to -12 which not too bad but dropping to -22 tomorrow brrrrr with fair amount of snow, which had been expected. Least I have someone to put my cold feet on when hopefully he comes home in next few hours :eek:

russjp Nov 11th 2012 11:18 am

Well i think its time to put my tin hat and flak jacket on and post that i have an interview with Loblaws on 15th Nov in Leeds. I am in the fortunate position of knowing someone who already works there so no rose tinted spectacles here for you to slag off i`m afraid lol.

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 11th 2012 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10376846)
Well i think its time to put my tin hat and flak jacket on and post that i have an interview with Loblaws on 15th Nov in Leeds. I am in the fortunate position of knowing someone who already works there so no rose tinted spectacles here for you to slag off i`m afraid lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wish you well russjp at your interview on 15 November :)

I'm not sure people were slagging off about rose tinted glasses I just think they were trying to give some advice and it is each individuals choice if they take that advice or not ;)

Always good to have people's opinions though, well it was for me, at the end of the day we knew what we were working towards, just a case of having to make it work and we did in the end. I'm am sure still a hard slog ahead though as winter seems to have arrived in Regina. I guess you take everyday as a challenge :thumbsup:

russjp Nov 11th 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for the good luck, been looking at the snow today as I was talking to my friend there on Skype:D Looking forward to the challenge and its an opportunity to change mine and my familys lives. We are renting out our house here so if it doesnt work out we can always return but hopefully that wont happen. Any tips on places to avoid for renting property would be appreciated as we are just checking out rentals at the moment. As I said I am fortunate enough to have a friend who is already there working for Loblaws so i`m getting some great info and advice from him but any extra pointers would be more than welcome - cheers ;)

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 12th 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10377238)
Thanks for the good luck, been looking at the snow today as I was talking to my friend there on Skype:D Looking forward to the challenge and its an opportunity to change mine and my familys lives. We are renting out our house here so if it doesnt work out we can always return but hopefully that wont happen. Any tips on places to avoid for renting property would be appreciated as we are just checking out rentals at the moment. As I said I am fortunate enough to have a friend who is already there working for Loblaws so i`m getting some great info and advice from him but any extra pointers would be more than welcome - cheers ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the snow has arrive and experienced -22 today although I must admit found the -12 with wind chill factor of -28 a lot harder than -22. I think it is something you put up with rather than get used to :thumbup:

With regards to places to live, my hubby sorted all that out we live in the Lakeridge area which is largest housing estate but we live on outskirts of this, more for my benefit due to me not driving so means I can pop to supermarket and even a few local pubs/bars so suits us down to the ground.

I guess for yourself if you have a family I'm probably not best person to answer your questions as not sure about schools etc, but sure someone else will be able to help you out with that and be better placed to advise you.

Lucky enough for us all bills included so means one off payment and the rest of wages that left over is ours :) I think this again is common in a lot of places you rent, but unfortunately does not give you an idea of what monthly outgoings are with regards to rent, electric, water etc.

I hope someone else might be able to give you more of an idea with regards to your questions and as you say you know someone out here so that always helps. Although we knew no one and my hubby managed to get by with help from people both English and Canadian working a Loblaw. One thing will say people come across as more helpful here and willing to give a helping hand if they can which is nice.

Good luck in your adventure and keep us informed :thumbsup:

flat to the mat Nov 13th 2012 4:25 am

Record snowfall in one storm since 1941 ,welcome to Canada .
Best piece of advice for you would be to keep hubbys gob muted ,he's not doing him or yourself any favors .

russjp Nov 13th 2012 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 69 (Post 10378721)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes the snow has arrive and experienced -22 today although I must admit found the -12 with wind chill factor of -28 a lot harder than -22. I think it is something you put up with rather than get used to :thumbup:

With regards to places to live, my hubby sorted all that out we live in the Lakeridge area which is largest housing estate but we live on outskirts of this, more for my benefit due to me not driving so means I can pop to supermarket and even a few local pubs/bars so suits us down to the ground.

I guess for yourself if you have a family I'm probably not best person to answer your questions as not sure about schools etc, but sure someone else will be able to help you out with that and be better placed to advise you.

Lucky enough for us all bills included so means one off payment and the rest of wages that left over is ours :) I think this again is common in a lot of places you rent, but unfortunately does not give you an idea of what monthly outgoings are with regards to rent, electric, water etc.

I hope someone else might be able to give you more of an idea with regards to your questions and as you say you know someone out here so that always helps. Although we knew no one and my hubby managed to get by with help from people both English and Canadian working a Loblaw. One thing will say people come across as more helpful here and willing to give a helping hand if they can which is nice.

Good luck in your adventure and keep us informed :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, my wife has listed some areas to live after spending hours trawling the internet lol and Lakeridge is at the top of the list !!

Will keep you posted as to our progress !

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 13th 2012 8:00 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10379595)
Record snowfall in one storm since 1941 ,welcome to Canada .
Best piece of advice for you would be to keep hubbys gob muted ,he's not doing him or yourself any favors .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes snow has really fallen!!!!

I'm not sure what hubby has said and I'm sure he's not intentionally tried to upset anyone! I've made my buddies so don't think he needs to do me any favours. I guess he has a right to his opinion, but I guess he's said the wrong thing at the wrong time and maybe in the wrong way :)

Big Truck Nov 13th 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 69 (Post 10378721)
--------------------------------------------------------------------more for my benefit due to me not driving so means I can pop to supermarket and even a few local pubs/bars so suits us down to the ground.

This is just my opinion but BEFORE you imigrated all the way to Canada and knowing how bad the Winters can get there especially in the Pairie provinces you maybe should have learned how to drive!!!!!!!:unsure:

Your husband I guess will be working long hard NIGHTSHIFT hours (mostly) at Loblaws and when he gets home he'll need to rest, NOT run around driving about sorting the "honey do's" for the house!!!!!:blink:

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 14th 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 10380303)
This is just my opinion but BEFORE you imigrated all the way to Canada and knowing how bad the Winters can get there especially in the Pairie provinces you maybe should have learned how to drive!!!!!!!:unsure:

Your husband I guess will be working long hard NIGHTSHIFT hours (mostly) at Loblaws and when he gets home he'll need to rest, NOT run around driving about sorting the "honey do's" for the house!!!!!:blink:

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for advice, I'm not totally isolated where we live supermarket a five min walk, so not so bad an can get by without license at the moment but something to consider.

Hubby's hours not too bad all considering but sure with winter settling in already. Sure we'll cope :-)

dustyhoward Nov 14th 2012 11:34 am

My wife is correct I only work 10 hours a night

dustyhoward Nov 14th 2012 11:35 am

Loblaws is a good place to work

dustyhoward Nov 14th 2012 11:39 am

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10376846)

Hello mate who do you know who works at loblaws

russjp Nov 14th 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10382164)
Hello mate who do you know who works at loblaws

I`m a friend of <snip>, we worked together at Aldi in Darlington ;)

russjp Nov 15th 2012 4:23 am

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10382852)
I`m a friend of <snip>, we worked together at Aldi in Darlington ;)

Thanks Sue, just came back to do that - half asleep :D

Big Truck Nov 15th 2012 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10382156)
My wife is correct I only work 10 hours a night

What are you doing during the 10hour shift?

Drive the pikes from Regina to the Peg, tip both trailers and turn around and drive straight back again?;)
Sounds like a handy enough job plus are you earning the quoted $1400/1600gross week for 5on/2off?:confused:

Are you expected to work the majority over the weekends or does it even itself out?

Big Truck Nov 15th 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 69 (Post 10381975)
-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for advice, I'm not totally isolated where we live supermarket a five min walk, so not so bad an can get by without license at the moment but something to consider.

Hubby's hours not too bad all considering but sure with winter settling in already. Sure we'll cope :-)

I'm not an expert but a five minute walk with your groceries might be a tad TIGHT in minus30!!!!!:blink:

CurtNIR Nov 15th 2012 3:37 pm

You wouldnt be playing a bit of devils advocate here BT? ;)
Realistically, you know yourself, it wont be -30 every single day. And youd be a fool not to get the correct winter clothes to deal with it in the first place. I dont think its something anyone should be getting pernickety about - after all, not everyone in Canada owns a vehicle, and it gets pretty nippy in a lot of cities.
Just my thoughts. :)

Mona Lisa 69 Nov 15th 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 10384272)
I'm not an expert but a five minute walk with your groceries might be a tad TIGHT in minus30!!!!!:blink:

--------------------------------------

Understand what your saying but won't constantly be -30, an I think you prepare yourself if anyway. Just my opinion I guess if you ask me once winter season over might have whole different opinion who knows, least I'll be able to say I tried :)

dustyhoward Nov 15th 2012 5:55 pm

It's more than 1600 a week gross and there's no tipping I do work weekends but it evens out

dustyhoward Nov 15th 2012 6:02 pm

What has made me smile about creating this loblaw thread is that so many people are interested which is great and hopefully helps the drivers who are having interviews which is why I created the thread and after being here for 4 months now my Canadian dream has gone so well and the job has been really good and continues to do so and people on here who moan about loblaws make me smile too because they have not got a clue what goes on at work
But it's their choice to moan
All I will say is this if you have an interview for loblaws who you get interviewed by they are really nice people and the job is really worth taking

Chicken lights and chrome Nov 17th 2012 12:28 am

I don't remember seeing anyone moaning about Loblaws. It was mentioned that there were different pay structures being posted on different forums and a note of caution was attached to some posts because of that ambiguity (get your wife to explain what it means)

There have been quite a few cases where jobs in Canada have not delivered what they promised, so some advice was given in respect of that. It was taken completely out of context and dustyhoward, bless ya, you really got the wrong end of that stick didn't you, never mind it seems that it was all scaremongering anyway, which is a good thing.

I see you guys out on the road, so dusty, how are you liking it? The driving can be very boring in the Prairies, especially when you first arrive from crowded British roads, I know it took me a couple of years to stop hating it because it was so dull. I like it now, especially at night as it means even less people getting in your way, I came from Winnipeg through Regina yesterday evening and never passed or got passed by a single vehicle the whole way, just the way I like it, although the roads have been a bit slippery the last week or so.

So how are you finding it? What shifts do you work? How many round trips do you do each week? What systems are in place for when they shut the Trans Canada down because of weather?

russjp Nov 17th 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10384625)
What has made me smile about creating this loblaw thread is that so many people are interested which is great and hopefully helps the drivers who are having interviews which is why I created the thread and after being here for 4 months now my Canadian dream has gone so well and the job has been really good and continues to do so and people on here who moan about loblaws make me smile too because they have not got a clue what goes on at work
But it's their choice to moan
All I will say is this if you have an interview for loblaws who you get interviewed by they are really nice people and the job is really worth taking

Sent u a pm Dusty - Had my interview on Thursday with <<snip>> and it appeared to go well but no-one is getting a decision till Sunday so the wait is killing me:eek: You are right though, they seemed like very nice people and helped to make my wife and I at ease with everything. I`d just like to add for the doubters that at no point did they try to fill my head full of magic about the job and were totally straight about anything we needed to know.

Big Truck Nov 17th 2012 6:09 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10384611)
It's more than 1600 a week gross and there's no tipping I do work weekends but it evens out

Ok seems like its a great job and your more than happy which is good.:thumbup:

Over $1600gross/week and not having to drive long haul must make it one of the best paid "local" trucking jobs going in Canada does it not?:confused:
(Apart from the oilpatch trucking jobs)

I then can't get my head around why Loblaws have to travel 3000miles+ to look for drivers to fill the seats, are there simply not enough "bodies" in Regina to drive trucks?!!!!!:huh:

russjp Nov 17th 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 10387062)
Ok seems like its a great job and your more than happy which is good.:thumbup:

Over $1600gross/week and not having to drive long haul must make it one of the best paid "local" trucking jobs going in Canada does it not?:confused:
(Apart from the oilpatch trucking jobs)

I then can't get my head around why Loblaws have to travel 3000miles+ to look for drivers to fill the seats, are there simply not enough "bodies" in Regina to drive trucks?!!!!!:huh:

Hi BT, from what i was told in my interview, it is just that. They used the comparison of population to highlight the difficulty, 200,000 people in regina to recruit from or come to the uk which is not that different in size to their own province and have a catchment population of approximately 56 million.

heydon1983 Nov 17th 2012 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10387245)
Hi BT, from what i was told in my interview, it is just that. They used the comparison of population to highlight the difficulty, 200,000 people in regina to recruit from or come to the uk which is not that different in size to their own province and have a catchment population of approximately 56 million.

It also comes down to people not wanting to drive trucks lots of people i have met prefer to work inside as trying to keep a big juggernaut on the road in winter conditions isn't for everyone and then you have so many companys fighting to get the drivers since i have been here have seen 12 drivers come and go because there isnt enough hrs being paid and another company is paying a couple of bucks more

dustyhoward Nov 17th 2012 5:28 pm

It is mainly because as you say people don't want to drive trucks in winter and the company will do what it can to fill the positions
And Britain is not a good place to be for drivers so why not start there

dustyhoward Nov 17th 2012 5:30 pm

Well big truck you are not even here and you dont see what's going on here
Why judge

heydon1983 Nov 17th 2012 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10387788)
It is mainly because as you say people don't want to drive trucks in winter and the company will do what it can to fill the positions
And Britain is not a good place to be for drivers so why not start there

Im really enjoying driving out here the roads arnt as congested the scenery is super people are friendly and sometimes you can drive to different jobs without seeing a car when you compare it to the UK and the m25 around London on a Friday afternoon when its like a car park its a whole new ball game out here i`ve been back and fore BC on a regular basis and even with all the snow everyone still goes to work where in the UK you sh*t a snowflake and the whole country grinds to a halt:confused: canada is better geared up for the winter

mickfly Nov 17th 2012 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10387789)
Why judge

He wasn't judging, he was asking!

Big Truck Nov 18th 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10387789)
Why judge

I'm ASKING (as Mick says;)),
as it would have been (at one time) a job that would be up my and other guy's streets who have a young family and didn't do the continental work in the UK, so don't really know what its like to be away for 7/14 days at a time.

In common with other people "nights away" living in a truck no matter how good/easy/well paid the "lifestyle", long haul work is just not an option for me and Loblaws looks a good bet for those guys who think along similar lines.:thumbup:

I could easily put up with the monotonous nature of your work back and forth across the TC1 but just a pity Loblaws don't have something similar set up around Calgary or maybe even Nova Scotia on similar money as I just don't fancy Regina/Sask as a place to live.

dustyhoward Nov 18th 2012 10:28 am

Well I don't spend any nights away from home
And living in Regina is actually a lot better than I thought its ok here plenty to do