British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Loblaw (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/loblaw-749906/)

man240utd Mar 24th 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Loblaw

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9970170)
I'm still waiting for my doctors letter
If I get nothing between now and Monday I night email Kelly
It does sound desperate but Kelly did say everyone who was interviewed would know by the end of the week

yeah, like I said before, because I had everything with me on the day, I was offered the job on the day. I had my medical the day before the interview & got my doctor's letter the same day as my medical. I also got my employment contract within half an hour of the interview.

man240utd Mar 24th 2012 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by man240utd (Post 9970314)
yeah, like I said before, because I had everything with me on the day, I was offered the job on the day. I had my medical the day before the interview & got my doctor's letter the same day as my medical. I also got my employment contract within half an hour of the interview.

look at your PMs.

flat to the mat Mar 25th 2012 5:37 am

Originally Posted by man240utd (Post 9970031)
Got an e-mail last night welcoming me to the company. Hope you hear something soon.:fingerscrossed:

Good on you.Welcome to Saskatchewan man24ridernation,(you'll see :D).

man240utd Mar 25th 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 9970993)
Good on you.Welcome to Saskatchewan man24ridernation,(you'll see :D).

Thanks mate, can't wait to get there.:thumbsup:

cmetty41 Mar 29th 2012 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9962954)
Regina isn't a busy place but I've been told it's an ok place are you going to take the job??

Hello mate I have now had all my paperwork and job offer from loblaws in the process of getting my work permit don then im off to Regina $1400 to $16oo a week can't be bad mate. R u Going?

man240utd Mar 29th 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by cmetty41 (Post 9978340)
Hello mate I have now had all my paperwork and job offer from loblaws in the process of getting my work permit don then im off to Regina $1400 to $16oo a week can't be bad mate. R u Going?

When are you going?:thumbsup:

cmetty41 Mar 29th 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by man240utd (Post 9978368)
When are you going?:thumbsup:

Have to wait until all the paperwork is done ie work permit it would be the July date for me mate have my house to sell and have to sort out my wife getting there as well Have you got your paperwork sent off to london yet?

dustyhoward Mar 29th 2012 11:45 am

I will do it tonight I'm working away this week I'm home tonight then the wife will send it tomorrow

cmetty41 Mar 30th 2012 7:22 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9978455)
I will do it tonight I'm working away this week I'm home tonight then the wife will send it tomorrow

.Thats good mate R u taking the wife with you or waiting to see what it's like first.Have you applied for your wife yet or again are you waiting???

Big Truck Mar 30th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by cmetty41 (Post 9978340)

Mate,

you badly need to do more RESEARCH!!!!!

The ACTUAL Loblaws(ex Geordie-land UK) recruiter is on another UK Ex-Pats trucking site stating that your "AVERAGE take home pay" will be $700 PER WEEK.

Now you got to work out is doing night-shifts with "turn-pike" doubles in a Canadian Winter worth $700!!!!:unsure:

Also just what "disposable income" you will have left AFTER paying all your normal everyday bills in Regina.:blink:

I wish all you guys going to Loblaws the very best of luck but your all talking among yourselves and you need to ask the ex-UK guys who have been there for a right few years maybe since 2004 IF they would work in Regina for Loblaws@ that type of work for that kind of money!!!!!!;)

dustyhoward Mar 30th 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by cmetty41 (Post 9979831)
.Thats good mate R u taking the wife with you or waiting to see what it's like first.Have you applied for your wife yet or again are you waiting???

Hello mate my wife is staying here while I'm there and will come out and have a look who do work for here

cmetty41 Mar 30th 2012 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9979887)
Mate,

The ACTUAL Loblaws(ex Geordie-land UK) recruiter is on another UK Ex-Pats trucking site stating that your "AVERAGE take home pay" will be $700 PER WEEK.

Now you got to work out is doing night-shifts with "turn-pike" doubles in a Canadian Winter worth $700!!!!:unsure:

Also just what "disposable income" you will have left AFTER paying all your normal everyday bills in Regina.:blink:

I wish all you guys going to Loblaws the very best of luck but your all talking among yourselves and you need to ask the ex-UK guys who have been there for a right few years maybe since 2004 IF they would work in Regina for Loblaws@ that type of work for that kind of money!!!!!!;)

Big Truck I have a signed contract stating I will be paid no less than $23 per hour with add on IE load unload hitch un Hitch etc I will be doing a 10hr day with breaks,running from Regina to Winnipeg either 5 on 2 off or 6 on 2 off.That my friend does not add up to $700 a week.The distance between Regina and Winnipeg is 355miles or 571km X each mile by 53cents and still I don't get $700 a week.I can't see Loblaws bringing over at least 16 to 24 family's and then hitting them with $700 a week wages,that would criminal.And after a good Interview with the Transport manager i feel he is more than open with us all.Remember Loblaws are going Very BIG in the next few months with a new rail road being built next to their new facilities.

cmetty41 Mar 30th 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9979948)
Hello mate my wife is staying here while I'm there and will come out and have a look who do work for here

Hello Dusty,I am currently self employed as a driving Instructor,but work is slack so I also work for Tesco's on a self employed basis.I do about 40hrs a week for them doing class 1 work delivering to all the stores here in Northern Ireland.I see Big Truck reckons we will be getting $700 a week or £439 our money.I don't think so mate.No one would move half way round the world for that money.Has trevor gave you the hotel details where we wil staying.It's the Ramada hotel downtown in Regina looks nice.

Mona Lisa 69 Mar 30th 2012 10:10 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9979948)

Hello Hun

Look we decided I was not going out, so pleaes don't be telling people I am.

dustyhoward Mar 30th 2012 10:18 am

Ok

dustyhoward Mar 30th 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by cmetty41 (Post 9979961)
Hello Dusty,I am currently self employed as a driving Instructor,but work is slack so I also work for Tesco's on a self employed basis.I do about 40hrs a week for them doing class 1 work delivering to all the stores here in Northern Ireland.I see Big Truck reckons we will be getting $700 a week or £439 our money.I don't think so mate.No one would move half way round the world for that money.Has trevor gave you the hotel details where we wil staying.It's the Ramada hotel downtown in Regina looks nice.

No he didn't say yet are you going in may

cmetty41 Mar 30th 2012 11:07 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9979994)
No he didn't say yet are you going in may

No mate it will be July at the earliest for me a lot to do here before I go.

dustyhoward Mar 30th 2012 12:11 pm

By the time I get my work visa it will probably be July

Mona Lisa 69 Mar 30th 2012 12:44 pm

Oh well another couple of months with you wife won't kill ya! You've got rest of your life out there.

dustyhoward Mar 30th 2012 3:37 pm

What's the address of the place u send the work permit to

man240utd Mar 30th 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9980412)
What's the address of the place u send the work permit to

Canadian High Commission
Immigration Section
38 Grosvenor Street
London
W1K 4AA, United Kingdom

dustyhoward Mar 30th 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks I see the hotel we will stay at the ramada in Regina and it costs 89 a night

dave_lol66 Mar 30th 2012 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9979887)
Mate,

BT let me think long and hard about this....:eek::eek::banghead::banghead::banghead: NOT A CHANCE:rofl:

dave_lol66 Mar 30th 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cmetty41 (Post 9979955)
I can't see Loblaws bringing over at least 16 to 24 family's and then hitting them with $700 a week wages,that would criminal.And after a good Interview with the Transport manager i feel he is more than open with us all.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Isn't being naive such a sweet thing :thumbsup::thumbsup:

dustyhoward Mar 30th 2012 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by man240utd (Post 9980417)
Canadian High Commission
Immigration Section
38 Grosvenor Street
London
W1K 4AA, United Kingdom

Who is the fee payable too

man240utd Mar 30th 2012 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dave_lol66 (Post 9980575)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Isn't being naive such a sweet thing :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You must have such a sad little life to be interferring in everybodys business. If it says there gonna get $23 per hour in the contract, then that's what they're get.

dave_lol66 Mar 30th 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by man240utd (Post 9980813)
You must have such a sad little life to be interferring in everybodys business. If it says there gonna get $23 per hour in the contract, then that's what they're get.

I really couldn't care less what it says in the contract. Hope you have done your research because under Canadian employment laws it is practically worthless to have a contract as an inter provincial / cross border trucker :p they are not even required by law to give you any notice to terminate employment but neither are you :thumbup:
No one is saying not to do it but find out what you are getting yourself into and if you truly believe that this is a good opportunity then good luck with your decision but to base your decision on what you have been told by the recruiter well :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Big Truck Mar 30th 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by cmetty41 (Post 9979955)
Big Truck I have a signed contract stating I will be paid no less than $23 per hour with add on IE load unload hitch un Hitch etc I will be doing a 10hr day with breaks,running from Regina to Winnipeg either 5 on 2 off or 6 on 2 off.That my friend does not add up to $700 a week.The distance between Regina and Winnipeg is 355miles or 571km X each mile by 53cents and still I don't get $700 a week.I can't see Loblaws bringing over at least 16 to 24 family's and then hitting them with $700 a week wages,that would criminal.And after a good Interview with the Transport manager i feel he is more than open with us all.Remember Loblaws are going Very BIG in the next few months with a new rail road being built next to their new facilities.

Cmetty,

your "rose tinted glasses" are tinted so heavy that you can't even see out of them!!!!!:rofl:

Read this from start to finish then come back and eat humble pie:
http://www.*********************.com...php?f=4&t=1971

(That is british truckers abroad all one word were the stars are)

BTW,

DaveLoL66 has been over there a right few years and has been "round the block" a few times too, you'd be better heeding his advice than your totally honest:unsure: Transport Manager!!!!:nod:

Big Truck Mar 30th 2012 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by man240utd (Post 9980813)

Your off your rocker mate and I can easily see trouble ahead!!!!!:blink:

Some VERY good advice from a well known UK ex-pat Canadian OTR trucker:

In all seriousness, you guys should really do a research trip and speak to lots and lots and lots, did I say lots? of drivers who have worked there, they don't have to go halfway around the world to find drivers for nothing You could end up neck deep in poo if you make the wrong decision, if you realise you've made a mistake when you're already over here then it's a thousand times worse than making a bad decision at home, you have no family/friends etc to help you out and no official back up either.

Canada can offer you a dream life......but it can also turn out to be the worst nightmare you ever had, and the line between the two is so thin that it's very hard to spot.

kb33 Mar 30th 2012 9:30 pm

Scaremongering again BT ? Thought you would be bored of all this by now , if I had listened to your advice 5 years ago I woudnt be sat in my ivory tower right now .
Fact is there are hundreds of happy ex pat truck drivers living in Canada right now and I I have said many times before it works for some and not for others , and the only way to find out is to suck it and see , yes it's a gamble but so are a lot of things in life .
I still haven't been back to the UK in nearly 5 years and don't plan doing so anytime soon , from what I read a lot of people don't have a lot to loose by moving out here .
Do your sums and if you think it's right for you give it a go .

Big Truck Mar 31st 2012 8:12 am

Show me the post were I told them not to go?:confused:

I said they need to stand back and look at it more,
thinking they will be easily earning $1400/week when a Loblaw recruiter on another site has stated it will be approx $700/take home is showing naivety in the extreme!!!

Pulling turnpike doubles on nightshifts across the prairies in a Canadian Winter is hardly a handy wee job is it?:eek:

Looks as if the first trucking company who came along got the "full thumbs up".:unsure:

Would you live/work in Regina SK?:ohmy:

cmetty41 Mar 31st 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9981633)

thinking they will be easily earning $1400/week when a Loblaw recruiter on another site has stated it will be approx $700/take home is showing naivety in the extreme!!!

Pulling turnpike doubles on nightshifts across the prairies in a Canadian Winter is hardly a handy wee job is it?:eek:

Looks as if the first trucking company who came along got the "full thumbs up".:unsure:

Big Truck you are so far of the mark mate.The Job is not nightshift for a start.You leave Regina to Winnipeg around 1pm roughly 8 hr drive and a 2 hr tip head down for the night return in the morning.By the sounds of your comments you had a bad expericence,but that is not always the case for everyone.At the end of the day if it doesn't work out I shall simply jump on a big plane and head elswhere EASY AS THAT.

Sats72 Mar 31st 2012 9:19 am

For my 2 pennies worth, I think it depends on your own family's circumstances.
If these guys are going out there by themselves and maybe just their wives, then it might not be that much of a gamble. If they have kids and extra mouths to feed, then it could be too big of a risk.

Do plenty of research on the cost of living etc. I've read for example a family of 2 could spend nearly $3000 pm on just basics, that's not including cigs or alcohol. Reading things like this and the fact I've 2 children to consider, then going by what the TM has said on the forum BT mentions above, he says $1400 bi-weekly take home. Taking all this into consideration, I came to the conclusion that my wife would need to get a good paying job out there, if we were to have any chance of a comfortable living.

To me this represents too big of a gamble for my family, if my kids where grown up and fending for themselves, then it's a gamble that might be worth taking.

delboy9135 Mar 31st 2012 9:26 am

hi guys new on here been offered a job with loblaw too im married with 1 son ill prob going out thier by myself at first to see wot its like were did a couple of you get your information from ref:training pay and where you will be staying when you get out thier and do you have to pay for the hotel some of you are staying in thanks lads

man240utd Mar 31st 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by delboy9135 (Post 9981689)
hi guys new on here been offered a job with loblaw too im married with 1 son ill prob going out thier by myself at first to see wot its like were did a couple of you get your information from ref:training pay and where you will be staying when you get out thier and do you have to pay for the hotel some of you are staying in thanks lads

Dellboy look in your PMs.

delboy9135 Mar 31st 2012 10:45 am

man240utd thanks mate but it wont let me read it

Sats72 Mar 31st 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by delboy9135 (Post 9981796)
man240utd thanks mate but it wont let me read it

Hello Delboy, I think you need a certain amount of posts before you can use pm's. I think it's 5, but I'm not 100%.

kb33 Mar 31st 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9981633)

Didn't say you you did say that did I ? :confused:

But you can't make a move like this with such a negative attitude thinking everything will go wrong , because it usually does , If something like this dosen't excite you , well you shouldn't be doing it in the first place .

No I wouldn't live in Regina or anywhere east of Calgary , I'm quite happy here thank you :thumbsup:

But if I was stuck in a dead end job with no prospects in the recession hit UK well yes I would defiantly get across for a research trip and consider it .

delboy9135 Mar 31st 2012 6:10 pm

Just go for the job I say if you don't like it or its not for you nothing stopping any one getting on a plane and cominghome

dustyhoward Mar 31st 2012 6:21 pm

Exactly have 3 years of fun