WTF in America

Old Nov 6th 2021, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by caretaker
I assumed they were waiting to see if any of the ones who are in hospital are going to die.
That is what I thought last night, as it can take a while in a large attendance situation to suss out who went where and in what condition. By the next day though I would expect a number of confirmed and hospitalised, the 'wait and see's' are usually announced as updates, no? Without seeming too brusque, this isn't a situation like a mudslide or apartment collapse and it's tricky knowing the numbers because of rubble etc. Once you've cleared the mob, it shouldn't take too long apportioning loose body parts with remains and ascertaining a firm figure.
Perhaps different criteria apply when you exceed a certain number listed as critical, 11 in this case?
Old Nov 6th 2021, 7:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
That is what I thought last night, asit can take a while in a large attendance situation to suss out who went where and in what condition. By the next day though I would expect a number of confirmed and hospitalised, the 'wait and see's' are usually announced as updates, no? Without seeming too brusque, this isn't a situation like a mudslide or apartment collapse and it's tricky knowing the numbers because of rubble etc. Once you've cleared the mob, it shouldn't take too long apportioning loose body parts with remains and ascertaining a firm figure.
Perhaps different criteria apply when you exceed a certain number listed as critical, 11 in this case?
There were what seemed an inordinate number of people with cardiac problems, so possibly some could have left and then keeled over, but it seems more likely they might have some hovering at death's door. 50,000 is a stupid number of people to jam together on the ground.
Old Nov 7th 2021, 4:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

There were what seemed an inordinate number of people with cardiac problems, so possibly some could have left and then keeled over, but it seems more likely they might have some hovering at death's door. 50,000 is a stupid number of people to jam together on the ground.
Cardiac arrest results from being crushed, so the number doesn't seem particularly large when so many people were caught up in a stampede.
Old Nov 7th 2021, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the powers that be will stipulate seating only at concerts, as they did after the Hillsborough disaster.
Old Nov 7th 2021, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Perhaps the powers that be will stipulate seating only at concerts, as they did after the Hillsborough disaster.
One can hope so. This really does feel like a less deadly version of the Hillsborough disaster, thirty two years on.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to see an asshole held accountable, even if he is only 16.

Teen driver who plowed into bicyclists faces 6 felony charges, authorities say

WALLER COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- A teen is now facing six felony charges after authorities say he plowed into a group of bicyclists in Waller County.

With the charges now on the table, some people are saying it took far too long for this to happen.

The crash happened on Sept. 25 on Business 290. Witnesses told ABC13 that just before slamming into the group, the teen driver was trying to agitate the cyclists by blowing exhaust smoke into their path in a practice known as "rolling coal."

Attorney said the victims' injuries ranged from broken bones to traumatic brain injuries. Lawyers and the district attorney criticized the handling of the investigation as the teen was released from custody after questioning.

The teen was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one charge per cyclist injured.

On Monday, the teen surrendered and he is now in the juvenile justice department, according to authorities.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 1:50 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
It's nice to see an asshole held accountable, even if he is only 16.

Teen driver who plowed into bicyclists faces 6 felony charges, authorities say
I can say that this case has become a bit of a cause celebre in the cycling community. This type of dangerous driving followed by complete inaction from the police is all too common these days and something I've seen personally time and time again. This case was particularly outrageous: this kid deliberately drilled six people on the road causing injuries serious enough to require life flights...and the police LET HIM DRIVE HOME WITHOUT CHARGES. Talk to any cyclist and they have a similar story.

I've been riding on the road since the late eighties. I ride about 200 miles a week these days. I know what I'm doing on the road: riding at off hours, picking routes that avoid traffic, staying out of the way in intersections, staying visible, signaling my intent, using lights etc... and still about once a week someone deliberately and dangerously tries to intimidate or kill me on the road. The police are less than worthless in these situations as then encourage this behavior through their inaction.

Everyone has a story about that time that cyclist did something dumb. Many people love to immediately recount these stories any time cycling is mentioned. The mere sight of lycra and helmets immediate triggers many people's insecurities. Lots of drivers like to believe they know better than experienced cyclists how to ride a bike and will helpfully offer "advice" such as "you should illegally ride on sidewalks... at 25 mph... in a group". Through their actions, police are revealed to believe that road cyclists as entitled jerks who deserve what's coming to them, despite what any law actually says. After years of this, you start to get outraged and angry. Stories like what happened in Waller, TX enrage you because you've seen the exact same thing happen yourself and you recognize the pattern. Nothing is going to change until more people agree that roads aren't the sole province of cars and that being in a car doesn't grant you special privileges.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 1:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I can say that this case has become a bit of a cause celebre in the cycling community. This type of dangerous driving followed by complete inaction from the police is all too common these days and something I've seen personally time and time again. This case was particularly outrageous: this kid deliberately drilled six people on the road causing injuries serious enough to require life flights...and the police LET HIM DRIVE HOME WITHOUT CHARGES. Talk to any cyclist and they have a similar story.

I've been riding on the road since the late eighties. I ride about 200 miles a week these days. I know what I'm doing on the road: riding at off hours, picking routes that avoid traffic, staying out of the way in intersections, staying visible, signaling my intent, using lights etc... and still about once a week someone deliberately and dangerously tries to intimidate or kill me on the road. The police are less than worthless in these situations as then encourage this behavior through their inaction.

Everyone has a story about that time that cyclist did something dumb. Many people love to immediately recount these stories any time cycling is mentioned. The mere sight of lycra and helmets immediate triggers many people's insecurities. Lots of drivers like to believe they know better than experienced cyclists how to ride a bike and will helpfully offer "advice" such as "you should illegally ride on sidewalks... at 25 mph... in a group". Through their actions, police are revealed to believe that road cyclists as entitled jerks who deserve what's coming to them, despite what any law actually says. After years of this, you start to get outraged and angry. Stories like what happened in Waller, TX enrage you because you've seen the exact same thing happen yourself and you recognize the pattern. Nothing is going to change until more people agree that roads aren't the sole province of cars and that being in a car doesn't grant you special privileges.

Nothing is going to change until this society lowers its levels of violence and aggression, and stops accepting them as methods of expression, as ways to "resolve" disagreement, or to "be safe" when they feel threatened.

Don't ask me how or when that will happen though.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 2:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Nothing is going to change until this society lowers its levels of violence and aggression, and stops accepting them as methods of expression, as ways to "resolve" disagreement, or to "be safe" when they feel threatened.

Don't ask me how or when that will happen though.
I'm getting really sick of the whole "you wronged me in an arbitrary, self-defined way, which means I now have an excuse to assault you" attitude that prevails all over the place.

Humans have an unsettling fetish for revenge that makes me wish I was never accidentally thrust into this neo feudal hellscape in the first place because I can't see any will for that to change.

Not that it's specific to Americans, it's endemic to imperialism so the Brits, Spanish, French, etc., were at it long before they were even a thing.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 2:57 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
it's endemic to imperialism so the Brits, Spanish, French, etc., were at it long before they were even a thing.
Imperialism is fine when it's done properly. I mean sure, of course the French are gonna give it a bad name. I mean, they're French. And you cant trust the Spanish, that goes without saying. But good, British imperialism? That's a step too far. You'll be dissing the Empire next if you aren't careful, and then where would we be?

Old Nov 10th 2021, 2:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Imperialism is fine when it's done properly. I mean sure, of course the French are gonna give it a bad name. I mean, they're French. And you cant trust the Spanish, that goes without saying. But good, British imperialism? That's a step too far. You'll be dissing the Empire next if you aren't careful, and then where would we be?
Is that from something because I'm drawing a blank

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; Nov 10th 2021 at 3:22 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Nothing is going to change until more people agree that roads aren't the sole province of cars and that being in a car doesn't grant you special privileges.
Even in a very liberal city like San Francisco I see this attitude. And woe betide you each and every time bike lanes are added or parking spots removed for bike sharing etc.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting really sick of the whole "you wronged me in an arbitrary, self-defined way, which means I now have an excuse to assault you" attitude that prevails all over the place.

Humans have an unsettling fetish for revenge that makes me wish I was never accidentally thrust into this neo feudal hellscape in the first place because I can't see any will for that to change.

Not that it's specific to Americans, it's endemic to imperialism so the Brits, Spanish, French, etc., were at it long before they were even a thing.
Originally Posted by Nutek
Is that from something because I'm drawing a blank

If it isn't, it ought to be.

But yeah. It's primitive and we don't seem to be making nearly the amount of progress in changing it that we should.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:16 pm
I have a comma problem

If it isn't, it ought to be.
Yes, it was very good.

But yeah. It's primitive and we don't seem to be making nearly the amount of progress in changing it that we should.
We're primitive. We screw everything up in the end. Any promising new technology is either weaponized or privatized and I'm honestly sick of breathing in and out at this point because everything I loved about space or science growing up has been slowly eroded into some gross, misshapen monument to greed.
Old Nov 10th 2021, 4:20 pm

Yes, it was very good.

We're primitive. We screw everything up in the end. Any promising new technology is either weaponized or privatized and I'm honestly sick of breathing in and out at this point because everything I loved about space or science growing up has been slowly eroded into some gross, misshapen monument to greed.

Well I suppose that was always there. It made us successful, in a manner of speaking, as a species. Dominant, anyway. We've just used our giant brains to be destructive. Advances have been made, too, but using space for weapons instead of to save the human (and other) species should be right out. The Final Frontier should be a place to draw a line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.