WTF in America

Old Dec 4th 2021, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It's these emotive words like "hiding" that make it so hard to know. And "fugitive" earlier. I can well imagine that they wanted to be off the map, away from hotel staff who will call journalists. I assume the person who gave them access was a relative or friend. The authorities seem to be selecting words that have the connotation to turn the public against them, which seems unnecessary as I think we the public are against them enough already. $4,000 seems a trivial amount for two to go on the run with.
Would we give the same benefit of doubt to anyone else? I think the wordfs chosen may have been the ones that fit what happened, because if they aren't, that helps the defence lawyer.

Maybe $4,000 was allthey had immediate access to?
Old Dec 4th 2021, 9:47 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Would we give the same benefit of doubt to anyone else? I think the wordfs chosen may have been the ones that fit what happened, because if they aren't, that helps the defence lawyer.

Maybe $4,000 was allthey had immediate access to?
Police and authorities often use more neutral language. Its notably absent here. neutrality Is usually part of the process.
Although "unconscionable", "criminal", and "egregious" have been from the prosecution, which is perhaps more understandable, as that is their job..

Last edited by kimilseung; Dec 4th 2021 at 9:55 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Police and authorities often use more neutral language. Its notably absent here. neutrality Is usually part of the process.
Although "unconscionable", "criminal", and "egregious" have been from the prosecution, which is perhaps more understandable, as that is their job..
Fair point..
Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a world where children have to learn tactics to avoid being slaughtered at school.

Old Dec 4th 2021, 11:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We live in a world where children have to learn tactics to avoid being slaughtered at school.
I am a little skeptical of the barricading the door, as it will be an impediment to getting out when the shooter goes outside.
If I was a shooter I would go for the outside windows, however I noted on some of the phone uploads from Oxford that the alleged shooter was in the corridor claiming to be police to try to entice people to leave the room, The word "Bro" was interpreted as a red flag by students and they fled through the windows. It is unknown if it was the shooter or if it was the police, but if it was the shooter he chose to stay in the corridor. So should one go with the precedent of what shooters have done previously, being inside, using the corridors, trying to get in to barricaded doors; or assume the next shooter will have a think about it, see that being outside in many instances will give a much clearer view of rooms (door windows get covered by paper in the event of a lock down, exterior windows don't, and in practical terms cant be covered, because of area.), easily accessible, and have a corralled group of people who have blocked their own means of escape.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 12:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I am a little skeptical of the barricading the door, as it will be an impediment to getting out when the shooter goes outside.
If I was a shooter I would go for the outside windows, however I noted on some of the phone uploads from Oxford that the alleged shooter was in the corridor claiming to be police to try to entice people to leave the room, The word "Bro" was interpreted as a red flag by students and they fled through the windows. It is unknown if it was the shooter or if it was the police, but if it was the shooter he chose to stay in the corridor. So should one go with the precedent of what shooters have done previously, being inside, using the corridors, trying to get in to barricaded doors; or assume the next shooter will have a think about it, see that being outside in many instances will give a much clearer view of rooms (door windows get covered by paper in the event of a lock down, exterior windows don't, and in practical terms cant be covered, because of area.), easily accessible, and have a corralled group of people who have blocked their own means of escape.
All that makes perfect sense Kim. My problem, no, my horror is that children, some not much more than toddlers, have to learn how to protect themselves from being killed. At school.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's these emotive words like "hiding" that make it so hard to know. And "fugitive" earlier. I can well imagine that they wanted to be off the map, away from hotel staff who will call journalists. I assume the person who gave them access was a relative or friend. The authorities seem to be selecting words that have the connotation to turn the public against them, which seems unnecessary as I think we the public are against them enough already. $4,000 seems a trivial amount for two to go on the run with.
$4k may be their bank's limit for daily cash withdrawals. But given what we know about this couple, they're probably not making rational decisions anyway.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 2:23 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
$4k may be their bank's limit for daily cash withdrawals. But given what we know about this couple, they're probably not making rational decisions anyway.
Listening to how the arrest happened, it does look like they were not going to surrender, I wonder what their plan, if any, was?
Old Dec 5th 2021, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Every state has different rules and with a wide range building designs some things are more easily employed/dismissed than others and it is worth bearing in mind that when there is talk of barricading doors we aren't necessarily talking about wedging a chair under a door handle, some of the barricade locks employed can be operated a dang sight quicker than fumbling with a key in the lock.
Paper to cover windows of interior classroom access doors? Not how it's done in the South. Look at the floor of the classroom and you'll see tape on the floor corresponding with the line of vision afforded from the corridor outside the classroom. A teacher can then coral their students out of sight line.
Both the counties in FL and SC that my wife has taught in require doors to be locked during class sessions and unlocked only to allow passage in and out. Getting shot through exterior windows isn't an issue in windowless classrooms but it is when the A/C packs up in 90F heat!!
In yesterday's lockdown, the teacher in the classroom next to my wife's was pissed because his teaching assistant would not shut up and talked continuously for four hours - fairly pointless giving the impression of an unoccupied room if some garrulous twat won't shut up!

Unfortunately, scaring our kids shitless with repeated shooter drills and turning our schools into partitioned fortresses is not going to change until society collectively decides that the freedom to live is greater than the freedom for every Tom and Dickless Harriet to arm themselves, pretty much unchecked, to the teeth.

I had do a bit of a WTF double take this morning. An advert on the radio spreading the Christmas message of peace and love....sponsored by none other than a large local gun dealer, range, etc. The irony.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 1:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas Massie and his family. He’s a US congressman from Kentucky. The “own the libs!” smirk seems obligatory these days, among the republicans..
Old Dec 5th 2021, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Luckily it's not her first rodeo but this semester has been a bit of trip down memory lane for her, it's been a while since she's had to deal with the kind of things you find at the more 'lively' schools. Last week she had to write up a couple of boys who were simulating a BJ in class and it's the second lockdown this semester (escaped fugitive last time!).
She did say that the kids were scared shitless and at least one staff member freaked out, she was more miffed because she was the one who relayed the airdrop details from the kids to an administrator and got stuck minding the kids who were in the canteen at the time, ie a good number of them, while her lunch and phone were in her classroom - miffed because no bags were checked until almost four hours after the incident started.
The kid transferred in from a private 'no rules' whackjob school and won't be coming back, I'm not sure if that's for the schools welfare or the perpetrator's - he was responsible for the cancelling of two sports events and a music do, things tend to get a bit lairy here in the South when you start messing with their sports...
Sorry your wife had to experience this but super glad there was no shooting.

However, I'm at a loss as to what "airdrop" means.

FOUND MEANING: You need an Apple phone to send/receive pictures, videos, maps, etc. from others

Last edited by Rete; Dec 5th 2021 at 3:38 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 3:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

Thomas Massie and his family. He’s a US congressman from Kentucky. The “own the libs!” smirk seems obligatory these days, among the republicans..

Sensitive kind of guy, isn't he?
Old Dec 5th 2021, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The young girl in the middle looks in danger of shooting the mother's head off ...
Old Dec 5th 2021, 7:13 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The young girl in the middle looks in danger of shooting the mother's head off ...
Now that would make a better card.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 7:23 pm
He/him

What is odd about these people, is that they are the group that consider the USA to be the greatest country ever created. At least that is what their words tell us. But the image tells us that they feel they are in a dystopian nightemare where they fear everything, and everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.