WTF in America

Old Oct 28th 2021, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

I have the misfortune to often work on the same construction sites as a chap who is best described as the real life 'Tim nice but dim', for those of you that remember Harry Enfield. To give you some idea of how intense it can be working with him, he wasn't on site with the rest of his crew today and when I asked their lead man where he was he said he's with another crew, apparently the company rotate him among crews on a two week basis because he's 'hard work', beats me how he copes with trim fitting!

He's quite the inquisitive type which means that whenever we are working the same room he bombards me with questions about life in Britain, yesterday was a doozy. 'We' were chatting all things military and then drifted towards politics, when he asked if all our elected officials were ex-military like they are in the US... ... he seemed quite surprised when I said no and I think it blew his tiny mind when I said that he only had to look at his favourite president to dispel that that myth. He seriously thought that Trump was ex-military and was quite disappointed when I told him that not only was he never military he went out of his way not to serve his country. Poor chap was in quite a quandry.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 11:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

he seriously thought that Trump was ex-military and was quite disappointed when I told him that not only was he never military
They didn't call him 'Cadet Bone Spur' for nothing...
Old Oct 30th 2021, 12:46 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Florida Bars State Professors From Testifying in Voting Rights Case

After being hired as expert witnesses for groups opposing a restrictive voting law, three University of Florida academics were told they could not participate in the lawsuit against the state.

Old Oct 30th 2021, 2:35 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't pull into anyone's driveway in Texas.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...box=1635507194
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

That's beyond ****ed. I use driveways to turn around when I'm lost all the time, it never occurred to me that it's justifiable to lose my life over it
Old Nov 1st 2021, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of this case where a Japanese exchange student was shot dead whilst trick or treating. Of course that was also in the south (Louisiana) and of course the homeowner was found not guilty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...hihiro_Hattori

Old Nov 1st 2021, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I really truly don't understand the mind set of those who pull guns and shoot out of fear over these sorts of things, never in my life when someone accidently came to my door lost, or pulled into my driveway thought oh crap I am in danger, I wish I had a gun, I just kept an eye out the window, car comes in, car leaves, people knocked, I look out, they realize wrong house and leave.

Never encountered anyone trying to cause harm, and sure some people are out to cause harm, but if a car pulls into your driveway or a person walks to your door, the chances are greater they are not there to do harm.

Unfortunantly it seems the most paranoid often have access to guns and use them without thinking and determinting if they truly are in danger.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 11:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I really truly don't understand the mind set of those who pull guns and shoot out of fear over these sorts of things, never in my life when someone accidently came to my door lost, or pulled into my driveway thought oh crap I am in danger, I wish I had a gun, I just kept an eye out the window, car comes in, car leaves, people knocked, I look out, they realize wrong house and leave.

Never encountered anyone trying to cause harm, and sure some people are out to cause harm, but if a car pulls into your driveway or a person walks to your door, the chances are greater they are not there to do harm.

Unfortunantly it seems the most paranoid often have access to guns and use them without thinking and determinting if they truly are in danger.
This is the culture of violence, that exists in America, not everyone, not everywhere, but few places are so recently, so personally tied to what they have now, or maintained, being aquired through violence.by people who may be sitting on the mantle in a sepia photo.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 11:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This is the culture of violence, that exists in America, not everyone, not everywhere, but few places are so recently, so personally tied to what they have now, or maintained, being aquired through violence.by people who may be sitting on the mantle in a sepia photo.

Culture of violence, culture of fear. And permission to act on both. Two sides, one coin.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Culture of violence, culture of fear. And permission to act on both. Two sides, one coin.
My perception could be skewed coming from a state with relatively strong gun laws for US standards.

Or I have just spent so much time in Canada now, these things seem more out of place than they did when I was younger.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 1:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I read that article to scouse as a salutary lesson of where driveway aggression can lead. We live on a busy road and at least a couple of times a day people pull into our driveway, usually to answer their mobiles. He can just about stomach that, but sees red when they sit there and chatter on and on.

His solution is to open the garage remote door, stand by the open door of the car and glare at them. Works every time, whether because they're polite enough to get out of his way or because his death stare frightens them. Of course he doesn't really need to get the car out, he's just being a grumpy old shit
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 1:48 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I read that article to scouse as a salutary lesson of where driveway aggression can lead. We live on a busy road and at least a couple of times a day people pull into our driveway, usually to answer their mobiles. He can just about stomach that, but sees red when they sit there and chatter on and on.

His solution is to open the garage remote door, stand by the open door of the car and glare at them. Works every time, whether because they're polite enough to get out of his way or because his death stare frightens them. Of course he doesn't really need to get the car out, he's just being a grumpy old shit
He should just shoot them.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 2:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
He should just shoot them.
The thought of a vehicle leaking oil on his pristine driveway doesn't make him angry enough to shoot anyone, just hopping mad. He hop hop hops all over the place.

In any event, Hoppy wouldn't be able to get a gun here. In most States you even need a licence to own a paintball gun, can only use it on designated paintballing premises, and have to keep it in a locked cabinet at home.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 2:09 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The thought of a vehicle leaking oil on his pristine driveway doesn't make him angry enough to shoot anyone, just hopping mad. He hop hop hops all over the place.

In any event, Hoppy wouldn't be able to get a gun here. In most States you even need a licence to own a paintball gun, can only use it on designated paintballing premises, and have to keep it in a locked cabinet at home.
Excuses, excuses…
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 2:17 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Nutek
Excuses, excuses…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.