Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Ah well...................

There's a few of us on here that are in the Mafia, Vampires, Castle Age, and of course my first love, Pirates.
I might give it a whirl. But I don't like the sound of the Hydra.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:21 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I might give it a whirl. But I don't like the sound of the Hydra.
The trick on that is you have to gather up a gang to help attack, because it takes more and more people to set off the weapons to fight it.

I learned this the hard way.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:22 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah, so let's get onto the good stuff, Alan. Maybe we can get to the root of your issue here, we all love to help. Is it PTSD? Delusions? What is it that causes these strange twists in logic? Did she hurt your head? Does she still exist? Do you project all these stuff onto the American women here because you can't/don't dare with your own American woman?

Funny, I just karma'd Manc for his siggy line. And of course, I am a California Girl and have actually stayed at The Hotel. You've been doing your homework!
Oh, were you trying to make some other point?
Yes it's time we bottomed this. You know I don't like bland postings such as 'I am eating a biscuit, what are you eating' I like a subject that is not necessarily controversial, but something we can explore and learn from. Unfortunately, cultures do come into this and any observation about life in the US is often met by a shower of defensiveness from Americans. This is followed up at some stage by people throwing obscenities, doctoring peoples quotes and downright bad behavior. I never engage in doctoring quotes and hurling obscenities and I ask you to acknowledge that.
There is paranoia going on here but it isn't mine - I don't care whether people agree with me on doggy bags or say I am this or that - but some people are incensed and driven wild by someone saying it's cheap. The wild behaviour isn't coming from me at all - it's people who have never learned to discuss issues without getting belligerent or throwing obscenities.
Do I have a sometimes condescending style - yes. Are the English known for that - yes always have been. So what do you do, wipe out all the people who display some English attributes ? On a British Expats Site ? I have a Yorkshire style - somebody doesn't like it ? What do I do - try and become a become a Zulu ?

If we stamp out diversity on this site then it just leaves a few mid west housewives talking about chocolate buns and that is what the USA forum will have become.
As has been noted, I post page after page day after day with no trouble and much fun and shared info - then some gets really nasty at one of my opinions and calls me a sexual name and I resent it and push back. Shouldn't the mods be doing that for me instead of adding to the name calling ? What's all this about is my wife beating me ? Is that supposed to be some attempt at improving the peaceful flow of the forum ?

I simply cannot believe that one of you ladies doesn't a have a fairness bone somewhere in your body. I have much enjoyment on this site before people start this stuff - then you all gather and throw more and more insults while saying all the time that it's me who is provoking it. Read back the last 2 pages and say who is doing the provoking - say who the peacemakers are - say who the conciliatory messages are coming from...

Last edited by exvj; Nov 9th 2009 at 1:24 am.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The trick on that is you have to gather up a gang to help attack, because it takes more and more people to set off the weapons to fight it.

I learned this the hard way.
So you need a bigger gang?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:25 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So you need a bigger gang?
yes. I already got the bigger buns.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes. I already got the bigger buns.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by exvj
Yes it's time we bottomed this. You know I don't like bland postings such as 'I am eating a biscuit, what are you eating' I like a subject that is not necessarily controversial, but something we can explore and learn from. Unfortunately, cultures do come into this and any observation about life in the US is often met by a shower of defensiveness from Americans. This is followed up at some stage by people throwing obscenities, doctoring peoples quotes and downright bad behavior. I never engage in doctoring quotes and hurling obscenities and I ask you to acknowledge that.
There is paranoia going on here but it isn't mine - I don't care whether people agree with me on doggy bags or say I am this or that - but some people are incensed and driven wild by someone saying it's cheap. The wild behaviour isn't coming from me at all - it's people who have never learned to discuss issues without getting belligerent or throwing obscenities.
Do I have a sometimes condescending style - yes. Are the English known for that - yes always have been. So what do you do, wipe out all the people who display some English attributes ? On a British Expats Site ? I have a Yorkshire style - somebody doesn't like it ? What do I do - try and become a become a Zulu ?

If we stamp out diversity on this site then it just leaves a few mid west housewives talking about chocolate buns and that is what the USA forum will have become.
As has been noted, I post page after page day after day with no trouble and much fun and shared info - then some gets really nasty at one of my opinions and calls me a sexual name and I resent it and push back. Shouldn't the mods be doing that for me instead of adding to the name calling ? What's all this about is my wife beating me ? Is that supposed to be some attempt at improving the peaceful flow of the forum ?

I simply cannot believe that one of you ladies doesn't a have a fairness bone somewhere in your body. I have much enjoyment on this site before people start this stuff - then you all gather and throw more and more insults while saying all the time that it's me who is provoking it. Read back the last 2 pages and say who is doing the provoking - say who the peacemakers are - say who the conciliatory messages are coming from...
Blah blah...Yorkshire...look at me...somebody swore at me once...blah blah.

Who cares??
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:32 am
Sursum corda

Alan, you can only become a Zulu only if you can make this claim- "A Zulu regiment can run…. RUN!!!! 50 miles and fight a battle at the end of it……!!!!"

Now I don't know about you, but I can just about make 50 yards before I fall over. I can also make a few swatting motions but that's about it.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:44 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Alan, you can only become a Zulu only if you can make this claim- "A Zulu regiment can run…. RUN!!!! 50 miles and fight a battle at the end of it……!!!!"

Now I don't know about you, but I can just about make 50 yards before I fall over. I can also make a few swatting motions but that's about it.

Yes I watched Zulu last week too (again) - excellent.
Did you like the bit at the start where Michael Caine says to the other officer who is building a bridge 'well have fun with your mud pies old fruit - toodle pip'

Yes I inherited that infuriating English style to a small extent, and it got the Zulus and the Welsh equally angry - so the Americans/Scots/Irish need not feel alone in that.

But changing something so ingrained would be like telling Elvis not to move on stage
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is paranoia going on here but it isn't mine - I don't care whether people agree with me on doggy bags or say I am this or that - but some people are incensed and driven wild by someone saying it's cheap. The wild behaviour isn't coming from me at all - it's people who have never learned to discuss issues without getting belligerent or throwing.

Alan please stop playing the victim...we can all see through it. You are correct...you do not throw obscenities around or doctor quotes...what you do is much more subtle then that. You are as sly as they come...you like playing sneaky games. You open a thread...knowing full well the response you will get. Then in the words of Cindy you We go along just fine, trading posts and observations, and then you insert some little snide zinger is and wham. Then you sit there and say "what?", "what did I do, I only said". Just as you have done now.

This is not the first time I have asked you to stop the martyr act...the last time was a few months ago. True to form you took off for a while until the dust had settled...then as usual you come back and play the same old sneaky games. It was tedious then and as you can see from the response you've had...it's getting extremely tedious now.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Alan please stop playing the victim...we can all see through it. You are correct...you do not throw obscenities around or doctor quotes...what you do is much more subtle then that. You are as sly as they come. You open a thread...knowing full well the response you will get. Then in the words of Cindy you We go along just fine, trading posts and observations, and then you insert some little snide zinger is and wham. Then you sit there and say "what?", "what did I do, I only said". Just as you have done now.

This is not the first time I have asked you to stop the martyr act...the last time was a few months ago. True to form you took off for a while until the dust had settled...then as usual you come back and play the same old sneaky games. It was tedious then and as you can see from the response you've had...it's getting extremely tedious now.
So what's this martyr stuff - I have shown that I can take being called all sorts of things and I can take being rubbished in general. I only object to two things and that is having quotes doctored and being called sexual names.
Those 2 things are probably against the rules - not that anyone ever gets pulled up over them and I never report them

If it's not ok for me to object to those 2 things and those 2 things only - let me know so I know where I stand
If I have to be sworn at and have my quotes changed and agree to change my English style, then please just say so and then I know where I stand and I can decide what I should do

thanks
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:00 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

You have some nice words there, but your actions don't match your words. The problem is you talk about diversity, however you're not willing accept that others have different opinions and different perspectives, so in the same way that you are not interested in what biscuits people are eating, could it be that others are not interested in your esoteric meanderings.

Personally, I find your posts to be amusing, but you shouldn't take the replies so personally. If you're going post something controversial you've got to expect some flak. As a fellow Yorkshireman, I'm disappointed that you don't have a thicker skin...
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:06 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I personally would like to point out that I have not signed up for Mafia Wars, FarmerBollockville, Yoville, Gangster Battle, Bedazzlejewelwitched or any of the other games on faceache. I'm on there under duress as I wouldn't have got any of my cousins wedding pictures otherwise

You lot can all go back to having opinions now - my missus has got mine somewhere and apparently its not allowed out tonight.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

being called sexual names.
I'm sure you wish.....
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by zargof
You have some nice words there, but your actions don't match your words. The problem is you talk about diversity, however you're not willing accept that others have different opinions and different perspectives, so in the same way that you are not interested in what biscuits people are eating, could it be that others are not interested in your esoteric meanderings.

Personally, I find your posts to be amusing, but you shouldn't take the replies so personally. If you're going post something controversial you've got to expect some flak. As a fellow Yorkshireman, I'm disappointed that you don't have a thicker skin...
Greetings fellow Yorkshireman. Your words of support are welcome and your anti words are acceptable too as they are not embedded in acid.
Really I dont mind people thinking that taking plate scrapings home is ok. It's a free country.
But when I say something like 'my maiden aunt used to do that and we giggled' then I dont expect to be vivisected and called every kind of nasty todger - and I dont expect the glee club to arrive and start pasting me.
Still that is how it works and I have to accept it.
Yes they are not interested in my esoteric meanderings - its such a pleasure to encounter someone with clear perceptions and expressive vocabulary and wonderful powers of summation - the results of which I entirely accept. I was slowly coming to the same conclusion myself - but as you can imagine, it was couched in alternative phraseology..Matthew 7:6

Many thanks for your invaluable help - problem solved

ta muchly

Last edited by exvj; Nov 9th 2009 at 2:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.