Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
US...appetizers = UK...starters or hors d'ourves

that's what I had thought (after looking and ordering from UK menus), but a couple of previous posts had confused me.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Clarki is an unknown quantity at this point

...but the word 'entree' means enter. It is what you have at the beginning of a meal, not as a main.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
US...appetizers = UK...starters or hors d'ourves

To me they are one and the same.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarki
...but the word 'entree' means enter. It is what you have at the beginning of a meal, not as a main.

No, it is the main course, as per Webster's dictionary. You are entering the main course of the meal. You have already had the appetizer, now you are having the entree, and then the dessert.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:56 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
that's what I had thought (after looking and ordering from UK menus), but a couple of previous posts had confused me.
Whats wrong with the good old fashioned, starter, main and pud

Also, while I'm here its dinner at lunch time and tea at dinner time.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Whats wrong with the good old fashioned, starter, main and pud

Also, while I'm here its dinner at lunch time and tea at dinner time.
That's the difference between DH and I ( I would hesitate to say Brits, since he's the only one I've eaten with regularly, either here or the UK)- he would prefer a starter and so on. Me, unless it's someplace known for a special item for a starter, I'd just get on to the main course (entree).

Alls I know is bring on the grub.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That's the difference between DH and I ( I would hesitate to say Brits, since he's the only one I've eaten with regularly, either here or the UK)- he would prefer a starter and so on. Me, unless it's someplace known for a special item for a starter, I'd just get on to the main course (entree).

Exactly! Because often the appetizers are so huge, you don't have any room in your belly for the main meal!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:09 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Exactly! Because often the appetizers are so huge, you don't have any room in your belly for the main meal!
I must say, I do like Outback's onion thingies, well I like onion thingies anyway, but I LOVE the sauce that comes with it.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thats because all the courses are massive out here, you could feed an entire family on some entree's.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

Which is one of the reasons why when I get together for a night out of certain friends all we do is order a few appetitizers and call that dinner.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why do they call a main call an entree? Isn't that a term for a starter?
Is your google broken?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entr%C3%A9e
Usage may differ in North America where the disappearance in the early 20th century of a large communal main course such as a roast as a standard part of the meal has led to the term being used to describe the main course itself.[2] In that case what would otherwise be called the entrée is called the first course, appetizer or a starter.

North America is where the United States is.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:16 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, it is the main course, as per Webster's dictionary. You are entering the main course of the meal. You have already had the appetizer, now you are having the entree, and then the dessert.
Originally Posted by meauxna
Is your google broken?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entr%C3%A9e
Usage may differ in North America where the disappearance in the early 20th century of a large communal main course such as a roast as a standard part of the meal has led to the term being used to describe the main course itself.[2] In that case what would otherwise be called the entrée is called the first course, appetizer or a starter.

North America is where the United States is.
Yea, well done guys - that told him/her. The very cheek of pointing out a cultural difference on an american expats website like this, we don't need their type posting here, they can go and get their own british website if they want to talk about that sort of stuff.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

chew chew chew
** GULP **
Gotta go!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused now-DH means appetizers when he refers to starters.
The French term entree means starter/appetizer/hors d'oevre - something you eat before the main meal.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:41 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Rete
Which is one of the reasons why when I get together for a night out of certain friends all we do is order a few appetitizers and call that dinner.
We've done that a few times.

ps don't mention doggie bags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.