Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:09 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Took wifey out for an airing last night as it was our 4th wedding anniversary.
Restaurant had about 25 tables - 2 were occupied. She got a small steak for $30 and the wine was $45

Now what strikes me as odd in the land of ace marketing, is why they whip the food out fast and then harry you to say if you want anything else and then plonk the bill in front of you and make it clear you should leave.

If I was the manager I would try and keep the clients there as long as poss in the hope they would buy more food/booze. I can understand it when its busy and people are waiting - but in a big empty expensive joint ?

My son has a business in Tenerife and I used to go 6 times per year. The waiters will do anything to avoid bringing the bill as they want you there for hours and hours till you get hungry again and order a sweet plus another bottle of vino

Can anyone explain this apparent marketing faux pas ? Rope em, kneel em, brand em and slap their backsides and send em back to the herd. Can the managers really be following cowboy tradition ?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Congrats on the anniversary. Lunchtimes I can understand because people here get very little or no time for lunch, maybe around 1/2 hour. Dinner time, I suppose the wait staff are just used to plonking the bill down when they see you have just taken the last mouthful of food. Dosen't matter if the restaurant is half empty or there is a line out the door. We have, in different places, have had the bill plonked down, and other places we have had to ask for the bill.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:41 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
Took wifey out for an airing last night as it was our 4th wedding anniversary.
Restaurant had about 25 tables - 2 were occupied. She got a small steak for $30 and the wine was $45

Now what strikes me as odd in the land of ace marketing, is why they whip the food out fast and then harry you to say if you want anything else and then plonk the bill in front of you and make it clear you should leave.

If I was the manager I would try and keep the clients there as long as poss in the hope they would buy more food/booze. I can understand it when its busy and people are waiting - but in a big empty expensive joint ?

My son has a business in Tenerife and I used to go 6 times per year. The waiters will do anything to avoid bringing the bill as they want you there for hours and hours till you get hungry again and order a sweet plus another bottle of vino

Can anyone explain this apparent marketing faux pas ? Rope em, kneel em, brand em and slap their backsides and send em back to the herd. Can the managers really be following cowboy tradition ?
I go to a restaurant to eat. Why would I want to stick around forever after I finish?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't recall having that issue when we dine out for dinner and it isn't usually in an expensive restaurant. We don't dine out often at chain restaurants so that might be the difference.

Also my DH is a Canadian and no one, but no one, bolts his food down faster than he does. I'll still have 1/2 a plate left and he is ready for his brandy.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I go to a restaurant to eat. Why would I want to stick around forever after I finish?
<<<sigh>>>

Would this be another aspect of the cultural divide?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my pet hates has always been waiting for a bill - so I actually think its a good thing to get it in your hand.

I've never felt pressured to leave anywhere, even if the bill is sitting on the table for a while afterward whilst chatting - I'd sooner have that scenario than want to leave, but can't because the waiter has forgotten about you.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:53 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

The whole dining out scene over here is bizarre. One set of cutlery to use for spreading bread, appetizer and entree. Appetizers so large there is no way you can ever get to dessert. Entrees being served before your appetizers are finished. Other diners plates being removed before you are finished eating. I also think its funny when you see a couple share an appetizer, entree and dessert - hasn't anyone realised that if they served smaller portions they could charge for 2 meals!

Yes it's great if you are in a rush but as OP says if you want to enjoy a nice relaxed meal you have no chance.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
The whole dining out scene over here is bizarre. One set of cutlery to use for spreading bread, appetizer and entree. Appetizers so large there is no way you can ever get to dessert. Entrees being served before your appetizers are finished. Other diners plates being removed before you are finished eating. I also think its funny when you see a couple share an appetizer, entree and dessert - hasn't anyone realised that if they served smaller portions they could charge for 2 meals!

Yes it's great if you are in a rush but as OP says if you want to enjoy a nice relaxed meal you have no chance.
All that...... and 'side salads' being served before the main course...
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:09 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Entrees being served before your appetizers are finished
That one really bugs me, they even bring them all together sometimes

I like to leave a time period of at least 15 minutes between entree and dessert, and quite often longer. When you are sat drinking their wine I don't see why this should be a problem, but they do seem to want to rush you off here.

They don't seem to have cottened on to maximizing the bill, you are never offered a dessert wine, brandy.... Lucky if you are offered coffee
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:14 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
<<<sigh>>>

Would this be another aspect of the cultural divide?
Tried that after dinner conversation thing. Wife and I critiqued everyone else in the restaurant, which took about 4 minutes. After another few minutes of sitting there staring awkwardly at each other trying to remember what the hell we used to talk about before we had kids, we grabbed our doggie bags and left.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:15 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Thing about alcohol is that it makes you want more. Also many people get hungry again after alcohol. That's why all the yobs in England go for a curry or a burger afterwards (and then hurl the results into a shop dooorway or a parked convertible if it's Tenerife)

Wifey often digs into a load of grub when she gets home - even when she was full in the restaurant

Keeping people there is also good because it is a better ambiance than when the place is empty - and it saves on heating bills with the warm bodies.
If there is street window, it's looks more inviting than an empty place.

If I am a quarter way down my gassy beer substitute when they try and shut me, there is every chance I will be tempted into another bevvy or eclair if the waiters just wait.

In Tenerife the first g&T is free so it loosens you up to start buying. In the US they loosen you up and then cut the selling opportunity short.

If I just wanted to eat I would stay at home as my wife makes superb meals every night - most people go out for the ambience and to relax - not to acquire calories in any form and then leave. That's the deal at McDonalds but this was an independent restaurant and not a chain food factory

It doesn't sound like good business

My point is - is it good business ?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj

My point is - is it good business ?
Yes, actually it is.

What was your bill for the main course and all that? Say $60. You spent $60 in 30 minutes. Now if you stay another 30 minutes how much more are you going to buy? Another $10-$15-$20? A drink, ice cream, a piece of cake?

Contrast this to another patron who comes in, spends another $60.

1 hour, 2 patrons = $60+$60=120
1 hour, 1 patron = $60 + $15 = $75

Churn them in and out. Every minute you are debating the state of the world over an after dinner coffee the average money they make per minute / per table goes down.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yes, actually it is.

What was your bill for the main course and all that? Say $60. You spent $60 in 30 minutes. Now if you stay another 30 minutes how much more are you going to buy? Another $10-$15-$20? A drink, ice cream, a piece of cake?

Contrast this to another patron who comes in, spends another $60.

1 hour, 2 patrons = $60+$60=120
1 hour, 1 patron = $60 + $15 = $75

Churn them in and out. Every minute you are debating the state of the world over an after dinner coffee the average money they make per minute / per table goes down.
How so when there are 2 tables occupied and 23 free ?

What opportunity are they losing ?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:27 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

I can recommend a nice relaxed venue in Pearland - serve great Pasta
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:27 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Tried that after dinner conversation thing. Wife and I critiqued everyone else in the restaurant, which took about 4 minutes. After another few minutes of sitting there staring awkwardly at each other trying to remember what the hell we used to talk about before we had kids, we grabbed our doggie bags and left.
This is too funny - we should do a poll on this one to see how many people experience this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.