Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Americans bolt their food and go ?

Originally Posted by exvj

I don't judge though
Quit fooling yourself. Just read through what you said and you honestly think that you aren't judging someone because they decide to take excess food home?? You act like they've committed some cardinal sin of etiquette by having the bad form to actually want to take excess home with them. I suppose it's better for that food to be tossed out in the landfill than to actually get eaten. You should be ashamed of yourself that you think it's ok to waste food, given there are many that are starving in this world. :curse: No wonder many people in other cultures think the West are wasteful gluttons.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 6th 2009 at 9:16 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I'm beginning to think you are a bit of a snob young man
He's a spurtle is what he is.
And thinks it's clever.

What's most irritating is that there are some little ha has in his meanderings but he can't help going for the obvious by posting things like this thread. No, what's most irritating is leading others into doing the same thing.
People take him at his word (like sunflwrgrl just did) and then he plays offended when he gets abused for throwing out inaccurate and inflammatory generalities.

Anyway, since when is the backwater of Eastern Washington representative of 'fine dining' in all of 'America'? oops, I forgot that it's Whine Country out there now.

Perhaps, just perhaps, my lovely criticizers, "Americans" just use restaurants differently than you have in the Old Country.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
And thinks it's clever.

What's most irritating is that there are some little ha has in his meanderings but he can't help going for the obvious by posting things like this thread. No, what's most irritating is leading others into doing the same thing.
People take him at his word (like sunflwrgrl just did) and then he plays offended when he gets abused for throwing out inaccurate and inflammatory generalities.

Anyway, since when is the backwater of Eastern Washington representative of 'fine dining' in all of 'America'? oops, I forgot that it's Whine Country out there now.

Perhaps, just perhaps, my lovely criticizers, "Americans" just use restaurants differently than you have in the Old Country.
Are you saying I just fed the troll?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:36 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
But you just did......
Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Quit fooling yourself. Just read through what you said and you honestly think that you aren't judging someone because they decide to take excess food home??
And who says the British and American sense of humours are different
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:43 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
My O/H was raised in Canada also, and he throws down food like lightning. He says so as it doesn't get cold
Surely you don't believe him when he's pichforking salad down ?
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:44 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you don't believe him when he's pichforking salad down ?

only if it's warm asian beef
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:46 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Are you saying I just fed the troll?
Dont call moxy that she cos she is the first one to get personal
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
And who says the British and American sense of humours are different
They don't get it - they take everything literally

I bet they only laugh at Python because everyone else is laughing
Actually that was a line out of 'as good as it gets'

Nicholson calls the cafe owner a pr*** and then says 'but I don't judge'

Its hilarious and most of America must be able to get it or it wouldnt be good box office

So I used it here after an OBVIOUS to everyone all over the world, frivolous tongue in cheek observation and they all say 'but you do judge'

oh dear... no wonder they can't sell yorkie bars here
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Amazes me that we spend $100 dollars going out for a meal and then prize the $1 worth of food that we take home (slarting up the car seats in the process) and put in the fridge overnight before throwing it way the next morning

The $100 is for the ambiance and the food itself is of little value

Rather have beans on toast for brekky than warmed up spare ribs with congealed sauce and dried out rice... That practise belongs to Dickens' days when people were starving

When I see people asking for doggy bags, I think what a set of peasants, they must have no food at home...why don't they stay in and buy some food instead of wasting what little money they have in a restaurant

I don't judge though

Yer funny.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

They don't get it - they take everything literally

I bet they only laugh at Python because everyone else is laughing
Actually that was a line out of 'as good as it gets'

Nicholson calls the cafe owner a pr*** and then says 'but I don't judge'

Its hilarious and most of America must be able to get it or it wouldnt be good box office

So I used it here after an OBVIOUS to everyone all over the world, frivolous tongue in cheek observation and they all say 'but you do judge'

oh dear... no wonder they can't sell yorkie bars here

Sometimes.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 10:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by meauxna
And thinks it's clever.

We have just had 7 pages of pleasant banter with lots of chuckles, and now, just because you personally loathe me from the past, you enter the thread and post this. You can't criticize East Washington without criticizing part of the U.S. you know. It's a fine place actually and not to be demeaned or simply used to make me out to be a hick.

I guess its time to exit stage left as you have found me - again
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
But you just did.

Yes, I consider myself a peasant. No illusions of grandeur or Rockefellerism for me. If I ordered a meal and it was delicious and I find that I cannot eat but 1/2 of the meal, I will most certain take the remainder home if it is the type of dish that will reheat well.

Some leftovers can't be reheated, i.e. prime rib, steak, but others are better the next day, i.e. pasta.

Taking home the leftovers is not a matter of not having food at home as you so provincially think but rather good sense. After all if I spent $25 to 40 for an entree why would I throw another day's meal in the garbage. After all there are straving children in Africa.

My only exception would to not ask for a doggie bag at a white glove establishment. Although I would love to do it one day just for the shock appeal.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

Yer funny.
Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Sometimes.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:47 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
This reminds me, when DH before he was DH came over to visit for a week, we splurged and went to a place in Savannah (sadly no longer open) that had 10 tables and a 7 course surprise menu. The chef announced that he would prepare whatever, except for sweetbreads and brussels sprouts (cue Sprout Boy's indignant response). So we started off and were enjoying the meal and I look over and DH is FALLING ASLEEP!!!

I don't know if the meal wasn't fast enough for him or what, but it was pretty bizarre.

This is also the night I took off my shoes once we left the restaurant and then HAD to take off my slip in public, but that's another story.
Humph!

P.S. Apologies for delay - just got back from UK.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:03 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Humph!

P.S. Apologies for delay - just got back from UK.
Well okay, we'll let it go this time,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.