US build quality

Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:33 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US build quality

In the UK we are used to a minimum 12 month warranty, to being protected by such nonsensical buzz phrases as "of merchantable quality".
I have bought electronic items in the US that have a 90 day warranty, 90 days FFS!
In my experience build quality is poor; my Jeep was the top of the range when it was new, but the build quality is cack. I'm glad I bought it used (sorry I mean 'pre-owned'), I would have been very upset spending good money on such a poorly constructed car. The wife has a blazer, its only 2 years old and its junk, windows stick if you try and close them when your driving, handles cracked from minimal use.
I never gave much thought to warranties in the UK; I had to adjust my shopping to buying items with at least 12 months warranty, and even consider the extended warranty for costlier items.

Originally Posted by Sally
Since moving here we bought a Westinghouse TV which broke down almost immediately and had to have a complete new board. Ford car had to have front axle replaced. American kettle only worked for about 2 weeks. Now a brand new water heater has stopped working, installer says we have to deal with it through manufacturers under warranty - no message service, I have to call them during office hours.

On this showing I would characterise American products as
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Have a google and see how much of the parts on a Boeing are actually US made.
Aye, but there are other US defence companies that make things like Apache's and the like that aren't complete poo
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:57 pm

Lets not forget all the Apple Xserves Boeing use

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but there are other US defence companies that make things like Apache's and the like that aren't complete poo
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: US build quality

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
In the UK we are used to a minimum 12 month warranty, to being protected by such nonsensical buzz phrases as "of merchantable quality".
I have bought electronic items in the US that have a 90 day warranty, 90 days FFS!

I never gave much thought to warranties in the UK; I had to adjust my shopping to buying items with at least 12 months warranty, and even consider the extended warranty for costlier items.
We try to pay for virtually everything we buy with our American Express cards. They will extend your warranty free of charge eg. if you buy a laptop and the manufacturer's warranty expires after 90 days, if you bought it with your Amex card the warranty is extended by a further 90 days. They do it for a time equal to the period on the original warranty, up to one year on warranties of 5 years or less:

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...AQ&type=intFAQ
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:44 pm

I had an Amex in the UK, but from memory they charged a fee for the card so I cancelled it. Maybe I'll look at the whole idea of an Amex again.

Thanks for the headsup

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We try to pay for virtually everything we buy with our American Express cards. They will extend your warranty free of charge eg. if you buy a laptop and the manufacturer's warranty expires after 90 days, if you bought it with your Amex card the warranty is extended by a further 90 days. They do it for a time equal to the period on the original warranty, up to one year on warranties of 5 years or less:

Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum

amex are excellent imo...i have a $ and a £ card and in both countries i have received excellent service over the years. just a few mths ago my hubs lost a pair of rather expensive sunglasses i bought him in the summer and i contacted amex as i seemed to remember that they offered insurance cover on the item if purchased with your amex card and yep they paid up straight away, no real questions asked ...i could have either a cheque or refund on the amex card.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
amex are excellent imo........
Yep - I particularly like the cashback. Should arrive with this month's statement
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Like what? What American made product has a worldwide reknown reputation for excellence?..

(and don't say "Microsoft" Bob)

Harley-Davidson Motorcycles

Jim.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
shame there shite
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
shame there shite
For the money they want for one they should be the best in the world. They cost nearly twice as much as any one of my cars.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
I had an Amex in the UK, but from memory they charged a fee for the card so I cancelled it. Maybe I'll look at the whole idea of an Amex again.

Thanks for the headsup
I have an Amex card through Costco...just Costco's annual fee to pay. The card doubles as a CC and a Costco membership card...there's a photo on the back for ID.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:12 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Yup!! I find that the American manufacturing philosophy is find a design that just about works and stick to it at all cost and don't even think about modifications or updates.

(Unless we are talking about arms or munitions)
I have to be very careful about what I say here, but I know someone who works for a company. They advertise a system as doing a certain thing, which it does not, then when they have sold a few million dollars worth, they send out an engineer the same time they send out the product to beat it to the destination, meanwhile back home the guys are working their arses off to find a way to make it do what they said it already does.

Then when the equipment gets there, they say they are sending someone out to install some free updates, then the engineer fixes it...some of the time! True story!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:38 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
If God rides a Harley, I'll take the other guy anytime! They're overpriced junk.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:49 pm
Senior Junior Member

Scott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond reputeScott Mumford has a reputation beyond repute

I drive old cars because I can fix them myself. I don’t need all the modern technology that can break and cost plenty to fix. I’m not saying it’s not great to start your car from in the house or have a DVD player in the back seat…..

I have 2 toaster ovens in my garage. One the switch is bad so you have to plug it in (that turns it on) and then unplug to turn off. The second one I have had apart several times and fixed bad connections. I suppose I should throw them away. The current new one has stopped making toast and now bakes my bread. The toast setting is the same as bake!
Some where in the garage is my Mom’s old 2 slice toaster… It worked fine when I put it away …it was just old fashioned.

I like old fashioned toast with jam
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You most definitely had not had good luck. Sorry to hear that. I would never buy any applicance from Westinghouse or Electric Electric. I've had Sears' Kenimore washing machines which have lasted well over 8 years without needing repair and presently have a Roper refrigerator which I purchased 10 years ago and it still works beautifully. I bought a brand new Ford in 1991 and passed that on to my daughter in 2000 and she only got rid of it in 2005. Never had it in for anything other than oil changes, tune-ups and brakes. Also had two Amanda <sp> a/c which were purchased in 1992 and they are still working fine. My husband has a 2001 Plymouth Neon and never had a problem with it and it has almost 100,000 miles on it. Wish I could rub a little of our luck off on you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.