British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   US build quality (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/us-build-quality-425723/)

Sally Feb 11th 2007 12:08 am

US build quality

Since moving here we bought a Westinghouse TV which broke down almost immediately and had to have a complete new board. Ford car had to have front axle replaced. American kettle only worked for about 2 weeks. Now a brand new water heater has stopped working, installer says we have to deal with it through manufacturers under warranty - no message service, I have to call them during office hours.

On this showing I would characterise American products as :thumbdown: :mad:

Rushman Feb 11th 2007 2:17 am

Re: US build quality

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 4388477)
Since moving here we bought a Westinghouse TV which broke down almost immediately and had to have a complete new board. Ford car had to have front axle replaced. American kettle only worked for about 2 weeks. Now a brand new water heater has stopped working, installer says we have to deal with it through manufacturers under warranty - no message service, I have to call them during office hours.

Yup!! I find that the American manufacturing philosophy is find a design that just about works and stick to it at all cost and don't even think about modifications or updates.

(Unless we are talking about arms or munitions)

Bob Feb 11th 2007 2:21 am

Luck of the draw...some of it ain't bad....but there is a whole lot of crap out there...but then it's the throw away society, make it cheap, let it break and replace mentality...

Though the water heater bricking it would have really pissed me off

Rushman Feb 11th 2007 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4388663)
Luck of the draw...some of it ain't bad....

Like what? What American made product has a worldwide reknown reputation for excellence?..

(and don't say "Microsoft" Bob)

NC Penguin Feb 11th 2007 2:58 am

I would check to see how many of those appliances were actually manufactured in the US. Also, generally speaking, if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

NC Penguin

Rushman Feb 11th 2007 3:13 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4388700)
Also, generally speaking, if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

Would you like a saucer of milk now?

Circus-of-Power Feb 11th 2007 3:19 am

I think its more to do with the lack of a warrenty ....in the Uk you get the standard 12 months ...here you get 30 days .... Hell Asda was giving away 3 year warrenties with any electrical item when I left the UK ...you try that one in Walmart...

The company I work for deals with Cat and John Deere ...they make tractors and earth movers for gods sake ..yet you'd think we were making stuff for NASA with the tolerances they now ask for .....

TouristTrap Feb 11th 2007 4:06 am

We're doing a tad bit of remodeling on ours at the moment. I can't wait to see my brother's face when he arrives in a couple of weeks and gazes upon the 'cardboard' walls......priceless.

Ray Feb 11th 2007 5:35 am

My blog has a bit about our whistling fridge/freezer

Ray Feb 11th 2007 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4388668)
Like what? What American made product has a worldwide reknown reputation for excellence?..

Hanesbrands Inc for the wonderbra ..........

Mallory Feb 11th 2007 10:12 am

yeah it stinks. the Chinese send all the good quality TVs and kettles to the UK, and send the rubbish ones to USA. we need a petition.

jumping doris Feb 11th 2007 1:09 pm

Here's my list: new furnace now makes a clanking sound when it goes off and some of the pipework leaks. The company who put it in are very good about comming out to fix the leaks for free, but I don't want the leaks!!! Didn't buy those. Everything is plastic piping held together with silicone gunky stuff. I want metal pipes with proper joints!
Expensive cooker (Thermador) the door doesn't fit properly so it doesn't cook evenly. Again they are happy to fix it but it keeps on not fitting again.

Clothes that shrink the first time they are washed and continue to shrink with every subsequent wash. (No it's not me getting bigger...well not much).

Bob Feb 11th 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4388668)

didn't ask for worldwide nonce :D

But there's generally the shitty Dell, IBM and deep blue....plenty of software, but that don't count, and Autodesk is Canadian and they bought Kinetik/Discreet and Alias.

Bob Feb 11th 2007 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4388700)
I would check to see how many of those appliances were actually manufactured in the US. Also, generally speaking, if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

It doesn't matter where somethings built, they still have to meet QA, and if those levels are set so low, it's the companies fault, not the manufacturer.

TruBrit Feb 11th 2007 1:49 pm

a no moaning day today sally so i'm keeping schtummmmm except to say good luck and buy german ;)