US build quality

Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US build quality

Since moving here we bought a Westinghouse TV which broke down almost immediately and had to have a complete new board. Ford car had to have front axle replaced. American kettle only worked for about 2 weeks. Now a brand new water heater has stopped working, installer says we have to deal with it through manufacturers under warranty - no message service, I have to call them during office hours.

On this showing I would characterise American products as
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: US build quality

Originally Posted by Sally
Since moving here we bought a Westinghouse TV which broke down almost immediately and had to have a complete new board. Ford car had to have front axle replaced. American kettle only worked for about 2 weeks. Now a brand new water heater has stopped working, installer says we have to deal with it through manufacturers under warranty - no message service, I have to call them during office hours.

Yup!! I find that the American manufacturing philosophy is find a design that just about works and stick to it at all cost and don't even think about modifications or updates.

(Unless we are talking about arms or munitions)
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Luck of the draw...some of it ain't bad....but there is a whole lot of crap out there...but then it's the throw away society, make it cheap, let it break and replace mentality...

Though the water heater bricking it would have really pissed me off
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Luck of the draw...some of it ain't bad....
Like what? What American made product has a worldwide reknown reputation for excellence?..

(and don't say "Microsoft" Bob)
Old Feb 11th 2007, 2:58 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I would check to see how many of those appliances were actually manufactured in the US. Also, generally speaking, if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Also, generally speaking, if you buy cheap, you get cheap.
Would you like a saucer of milk now?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:19 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I think its more to do with the lack of a warrenty ....in the Uk you get the standard 12 months ...here you get 30 days .... Hell Asda was giving away 3 year warrenties with any electrical item when I left the UK ...you try that one in Walmart...

The company I work for deals with Cat and John Deere ...they make tractors and earth movers for gods sake ..yet you'd think we were making stuff for NASA with the tolerances they now ask for .....
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:06 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

We're doing a tad bit of remodeling on ours at the moment. I can't wait to see my brother's face when he arrives in a couple of weeks and gazes upon the 'cardboard' walls......priceless.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My blog has a bit about our whistling fridge/freezer
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Like what? What American made product has a worldwide reknown reputation for excellence?..

Hanesbrands Inc for the wonderbra ..........
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:12 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: US build quality

yeah it stinks. the Chinese send all the good quality TVs and kettles to the UK, and send the rubbish ones to USA. we need a petition.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:09 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my list: new furnace now makes a clanking sound when it goes off and some of the pipework leaks. The company who put it in are very good about comming out to fix the leaks for free, but I don't want the leaks!!! Didn't buy those. Everything is plastic piping held together with silicone gunky stuff. I want metal pipes with proper joints!
Expensive cooker (Thermador) the door doesn't fit properly so it doesn't cook evenly. Again they are happy to fix it but it keeps on not fitting again.

Clothes that shrink the first time they are washed and continue to shrink with every subsequent wash. (No it's not me getting bigger...well not much).
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman

didn't ask for worldwide nonce

But there's generally the shitty Dell, IBM and deep blue....plenty of software, but that don't count, and Autodesk is Canadian and they bought Kinetik/Discreet and Alias.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I would check to see how many of those appliances were actually manufactured in the US. Also, generally speaking, if you buy cheap, you get cheap.

It doesn't matter where somethings built, they still have to meet QA, and if those levels are set so low, it's the companies fault, not the manufacturer.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

a no moaning day today sally so i'm keeping schtummmmm except to say good luck and buy german

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.