Tips, should I?

Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:05 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips, should I?

Originally Posted by N1cky
Sounds lovely. I think lots of people pride themselves on doing a good job

And how much do you think waiters and bartenders earn in the UK?
I would never wait tables or bartend outside of the states. Servers in the UK do not make great money. In NYC waiters and bartenders can do quite well. I make more money than some of my friends doing office work. Put it this way. I can afford a one bedroom on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. I have been in the bar/restaurant business for about 20 years. I pride myself on giving good service and that is refelected in my tips. The owner would not be able to afford to pay me in salary even close to what I make living on tips. When you are a tipped employee you usually work harder to give good service. If you don't then you shouldn't be in the business. I managed a restaurant for a while but then went back to bartending. I work less hours and make more money. I have several regular customers that only come to the abr when I work. My bar is mainly for dining not drinking. Ther customers average about $65 a head or more dining at the bar and have been rated one of the top Italian restauarnts in NYC for food and service.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:07 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
he was replying to the post that said you'd get shit service in the UK though...which proves paying better can get just as good or better service than short changing staff.
When I was in the UK last year some of the restaurants gavve quite good service and I left the waitstaff quite a nice tip. Even if it's not customary to leave 20% over ther as someone who lives on tips I still do. If the service is not good I won't leave as much but I will still tip.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
do you know my Aveda gal charges $150 for coloring?! Not doing that every 4 weeks for the, er, roots.
That's about what I was paying in London about 10 yrs ago, for my Aveda coloring. I soon gave that up!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 12:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
That's about what I was paying in London about 10 yrs ago, for my Aveda coloring. I soon gave that up!
It was lovely though, wasn't it.... sigh

I swear I buy the products just for the smell.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:12 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It was lovely though, wasn't it.... sigh

I swear I buy the products just for the smell.
Had so much blond on my hair it did not take,looks just the same as when I went in
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Read through this thread and it's a ******* minefield this tipping lark.
But QQ, when I have my gas pumped (in this part of NJ at least, they seem to do it for you) how much should you tip, generally?
What does everyone else give?
Personally I feel really lazy, because how much effort does it take to get out and do it yourself, especially with pay@pump? Although give me time, I'm sure I'll get used to it, I'll become a never leave the car queen!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYCbound
But QQ, when I have my gas pumped (in this part of NJ at least, they seem to do it for you) how much should you tip, generally?
Personally I feel really lazy, because how much effort does it take to get out and do it yourself, especially with pay@pump? Although give me time, I'm sure I'll get used to it, I'll become a never leave the car queen!
It is illegal for you to pump your own gas in NJ. You don't normally tip the pump attendant...their wages are supposed to be included in the price of the gas.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is illegal for you to pump your own gas in NJ. You don't normally tip the pump attendant...their wages are supposed to be included in the price of the gas.
Oh I never knew it was illegal.
Great to know tipping isn't required, thanks!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NYCbound
Crumbs, didn't mean to look like I was swearing! I did change the letters in the word, honestly.
I'll go wash my mouth out!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Illegal to pump your own gas in NJ?! Why??

Anyway, on the tipping front. If you go to a salon for say a cut and color. Do you tip the stylist and the shampooist (not sure that is even a word!) separately? When I got my hair done in UK a different person always did the shampooing and rinsing of my hair. I never tipped her. I always did the tip at the end when I was paying and it was the stylist taking my money, and that tip was usually £5 when the cut and color cost £66.

I do remember going to a salon in Michigan when I was an exchange student in the 90's and they had a sign saying no tips allowed so you would see people giving their tips by handshake! Was obvious what was happening but you weren't allowed to do it when paying at the end.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Illegal to pump your own gas in NJ?! Why??

Anyway, on the tipping front. If you go to a salon for say a cut and color. Do you tip the stylist and the shampooist (not sure that is even a word!) separately? When I got my hair done in UK a different person always did the shampooing and rinsing of my hair. I never tipped her. I always did the tip at the end when I was paying and it was the stylist taking my money, and that tip was usually £5 when the cut and color cost £66.

I do remember going to a salon in Michigan when I was an exchange student in the 90's and they had a sign saying no tips allowed so you would see people giving their tips by handshake! Was obvious what was happening but you weren't allowed to do it when paying at the end.
The law dates back to 1949...it was thought it was too dangerous to pump gas unless you were trained to do so.

I remember a few years ago there were rumours about the law being changed...it didn't get much support so it remained. I must say when it's 30 degs below zero F...I'd rather sit in my nice warm car than stand by the gas pump.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:44 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Illegal to pump your own gas in NJ?
it's illegal in Oregon as well
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Had so much blond on my hair it did not take,looks just the same as when I went in
Oh noes!
(good thing you went to the school!)

Will just have to go for the gradual change then.