Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Well, let us all hope that Salmond will indeed bring new jobs to Scotland...lots and lots and lots of them....to replace lots and lots and lots of jobs which will be lost when some very influentiual major commercial concerns and business enterprises close down their Scottish bases and move down to England in the event of a "Yes" to Independence vote in Scotland on 18 Sep 14...as they have promised..or should I say threatened ...to do in the event of that happening.
Yes there will be a period of change of course.I think some of these companies threatening to leave are the same ones that threatened to leave around the time of the Devo vote in '98 and guess what,they are still there!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:17 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Yes there will be a period of change of course.I think some of these companies threatening to leave are the same ones that threatened to leave around the time of the Devo vote in '98 and guess what,they are still there!
I started out not caring one way or the other, but I'm leaning toward hoping the YES crowd get their way now. Just because the resulting chaotic fallout is going to be hilarious.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

It doesnt matter what type of jobs just so long as its getting people work.
Doesn't the assertion that there are going to be more jobs created post- independence sort of require backing up with some idea as to what those jobs are going to be, or where they are going to come from? I've seen a few suggestions about job losses - companies threatening to leave (and yes, I acknowledge that the threats may not be realized), military operations being closed etc - but precious little about job creation other than hope and wishful thinking.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:28 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I started out not caring one way or the other, but I'm leaning toward hoping the YES crowd get their way now. Just because the resulting chaotic fallout is going to be hilarious.
I think I said something similar 40 or 50 pages ago. I actually think that opening the vote to the whole of the UK may improves Salmonds chances Although I assume all this about English-born/Scottish-resident voters being key in the referendum is just paving the way for the inevitable whining and blaming Westminster if the No vote wins.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Doesn't the assertion that there are going to be more jobs created post- independence sort of require backing up with some idea as to what those jobs are going to be, or where they are going to come from? I've seen a few suggestions about job losses - companies threatening to leave (and yes, I acknowledge that the threats may not be realized), military operations being closed etc - but precious little about job creation other than hope and wishful thinking.
Maybe the Donald will come to our rescue and build a load of golf courses.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe the Donald will come to our rescue and build a load of golf courses.
On his way to Newcastle with a sack of coal?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I see the latest claim from Salmond is that "the jobs market will improve."

The man is a numpty, living in dreamland. I have seen no concrete data on how independence would improve the business climate, yet there are many indications that independence would be disruptive, and as a businessman that concerns me.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 25th 2014 at 5:28 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile, Milliband has come with his troupe to Glasgow to tell us of his vision of the Future. You trust that lot, you need your head examined !
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Meanwhile, Milliband has come with his troupe to Glasgow to tell us of his vision of the Future. You trust that lot, you need your head examined !
I'm an equal-opportunity hater of politicians, no matter what is their country of origin.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:24 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an equal-opportunity hater of politicians, no matter what is their country of origin.
Wise words.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Do you vote?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... all this about English-born/Scottish-resident voters ..... .
It's what happens when you try to carve out a country where there hasn't been an independent country in several hundred years.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's what happens when you try to carve out a country where there hasn't been an independent country in several hundred years.
I think that's why the UN position on it is that the entire country should get a say in any referendum, but that was legislated out of this situation by Westminster....
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's why the UN position on it is that the entire country should get a say in any referendum, but that was legislated out of this situation by Westminster....
Scotland is a separate country in its own right,we are just joined in an out of date union.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland is a separate country in its own right, .....
No, it isn't. It has been a part of a fully integrated government of the UK for four hundred years, apart from a few devolved powers in recent years, and a separate legal system.

Scotland has no currency, no economic management infrastructure, no border control, no defence forces, pretty much nothing that makes a country "a country", and the last time Scotland was a country, none of those things were really necessary.

I suspect that an independent Scotland's defence policy would be the same as Ireland's: "We'll do nothing because we know that the UK will not tolerate an enemy force establishing a beachhead on the same island as the UK."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.