Wikiposts

Pet Peeves?

Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:33 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Businesses conducting advertising by getting the public to compete with each other in social media to obtain charity.

It has always been a bit distasteful the way businesses use charitable giving as a way to advertise and publicize their business; but the money gets given. What I really hate now, is that they are getting the public and charitable groups to do all the work for their advertising by getting people and groups to compete with one another for votes and exposure in social media. I am getting tired of requests to view such and such a thing and vote for it, so little Johnny or his school get so many dollars, and I can get exposed to the wonderful generous spirit of such and such a company.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 6:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Websites that have you log in, but when you do, not putting you back on the page you were looking at...meetup for instance, get a email about a new group, check it out, go to make a post, then find you have to log in and now can't find the group as you're on the home page or what not.

How crap is that.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Websites that insist on redirecting you to the "mobile" version of their web site any time you attempt to connect from a mobile device and simply don't let you get to the "real" web site despite the fact that their "mobile" site is horribly broken or doesn't have the information that you want.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:02 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

1. Getting up at 4:00 in the morning to watch the footie.

2. Becoming accustomed to saying "in the morning" because so many people can not read the time al la 24 hours
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

You are now giving ol' Bob a run for his money as King of Pet Peevedness.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Books that get a different name in the US from the UK, so get all excited thinking it's a new one, to realise it isn't.

Reprints of a book having a completely different cover design, so not realising you've actually read the book...blurb doesn't help if the book was that amazingly unmemorable, or if you browse through so many books and it does sound familiar but you're unsure if you've actually read the book or not.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:55 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Books that get a different name in the US from the UK, so get all excited thinking it's a new one, to realise it isn't.

Reprints of a book having a completely different cover design, so not realising you've actually read the book...blurb doesn't help if the book was that amazingly unmemorable, or if you browse through so many books and it does sound familiar but you're unsure if you've actually read the book or not.
This is a big one. Publishers do this deliberately. I work in an academic library, and I reckon we spend thousands of dollars a year inadvertently buying first the UK edition then the US edition of books, because the US publisher gives the book a different title. The contents of the book will usually be identical - just the title page different.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Random people requesting a LinkedIn invite, without explaining who and why...just the default message....lazy shitsticks, bonus points if they're a useless recruiter.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:05 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Maybe not moronic, just getting older. She may not have realised she didn't remember the pin until she needed to enter it.. I've forgotten my pin before now, and just switched to a credit card. Of course in the UK etc. you need a pin for the credit card too.
Pet peeves - Moronic old people using their age as an excuse for not knowing how their debit card works.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Pet peeves - Moronic old people using their age as an excuse for not knowing how their debit card works.
My mother was 84 years old when my father died. She had never had to use a debit card before his death because for their 65 year marriage he did all the banking and ensured my mom always had cash. At 84 she had to learn to do something she's never done before so yeah, she forgot how to use it a couple of times. And even had the gall to forget her PIN now and then. I'll be sure to remind her what a moron she is next time I talk to her.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

People who slow down to 2 mph in order to negotiate speed bumps that are intended to limit traffic speed to 15 mph and which can be safely driven over at up to 20 mph in any normal vehicle.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:23 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My mother was 84 years old when my father died. She had never had to use a debit card before his death because for their 65 year marriage he did all the banking and ensured my mom always had cash. At 84 she had to learn to do something she's never done before so yeah, she forgot how to use it a couple of times. And even had the gall to forget her PIN now and then. I'll be sure to remind her what a moron she is next time I talk to her.
It will be interesting how this develops as the decades go by, and as the succeeding cohorts get old and doddery. My father died in 2000, my mother in 2006. Neither of them had ever used a computer or a mobile phone. They had a cheque guarantee card I believe, but neither of them used a debit card or credit card. They paid for things with cash or a cheque, didn't use direct debit for anything. Certainly they received credit card offers in the mail and the bank kept sending them debit cards, but they were able to use their old methods till the end.

Now we are getting into a period when folks who've been using computers, plastic cards, emerging technologies all their adult lives are retiring & in some cases unfortunately getting senile. Hard to see how they will juggle the multifarious accounts, systems, pins and passwords as they progressively lose their marbles...
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

People who sign up to BE, thinking that it is a viable alternative to familarising themselves with the operations of an internet search engine such as, for instance, Google.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:09 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Be sure to find your sense of humour, and learn to recognise irony, before you do so, Dorothy. The joke was specifically aimed at Robin, who makes no secret of being older.. hence the "" emoticon.

I'd made no mention of age in my original post, but to clarify, the person in question was a late 40's/early 50's, redneck. Ok?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Be sure to find your sense of humour, and learn to recognise irony, before you do so, Dorothy. The joke was specifically aimed at Robin, who makes no secret of being older.. hence the "" emoticon.

I'd made no mention of age in my original post, but to clarify, the person in question was a late 40's/early 50's, redneck. Ok?
And that's ok, why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.