Pet Peeves?

Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:48 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well, like most places, there's good & bad - most of the Bronx is perfectly civilised. Zoo, botanical gardens, several excellent colleges & universities, beautiful parks etc....
You're right, and I have been over general however, last time I ventured up there for a biometrics, I got followed by a 'gentleman' from the subway station to the USCIS office, and leaving an hour or so later, there had been a double stabbing. Put me off solo-venturing any further
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
You're right, and I have been over general however, last time I ventured up there for a biometrics, I got followed by a 'gentleman' from the subway station to the USCIS office, and leaving an hour or so later, there had been a double stabbing. Put me off solo-venturing any further
A young guy followed me home one time and entered the apartment building behind me before the door swung shut (I was oblivious). As I fumbled for my keys, he reached up and tried to pull my knickers down (skirt length was more 60s London than 70s Bronx . . . ). I dropped the groceries and chased him out the door and down the street, much to the surprise of all the old folks sitting outside in the sun. Boyfriend emerges from the apt to find groceries and no me. I got a big lecture about what could have happened when I confronted the guy . . . but just standing and yelling isn't really me.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
You're right, and I have been over general however, last time I ventured up there for a biometrics, I got followed by a 'gentleman' ....
I hope you weren't "profiling" him?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
God's own country, the Bronx. If we move to NYC that'd be where we'd go. Might need a set of ear plugs, having lived in rural areas for many decades.
We need ear plugs due to coyotes and frogs. I never knew frogs were so loud before moving here. Triple pane windows have made a difference. Now we miss the sounds of the frogs.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
We need ear plugs due to coyotes and frogs. I never knew frogs were so loud before moving here. Triple pane windows have made a difference. Now we miss the sounds of the frogs.
From early summer to first frost there is an almost deafening cacophony in our yard at night - primarily a mix of spring peepers (frogs), and cicadas. It is much noisier than anywhere I think I have ever lived, including under the (usually) inbound flight path at LHR.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:12 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Don't worry about frog noises too much. They wont be here much longer now that Trump has castrated the EPA more or less and declared global warming a hoax
Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
From early summer to first frost there is an almost deafening cacophony in our yard at night - primarily a mix of spring peepers (frogs), and cicadas. It is much noisier than anywhere I think I have ever lived, including under the (usually) inbound flight path at LHR.
The sound of cicadas is very soothing, to me. Love it. The sound of summer
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:57 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

The frogs here do not peep, they are small, numerous and quite vocal. No cicadas however, or any other noisy critters at night except for the rare coyote.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The sound of cicadas is very soothing, to me. Love it. The sound of summer. ....
Oh, I definitely agree, which is one of the reasons we live where we do - not too much noise from traffic and city life, but plenty of mother nature's things going on.
Originally Posted by Beaverstate
The frogs here do not peep, they are small, numerous and quite vocal. ....
Spring peepers don't peep either, it's hard to believe that such a small frog can make such a loud noise, and like yours, they are small and numerous. Most are no bigger than the last bone in my thumb. I only discovered a few years ago what their name is, as they are clearly some sort of tree frog, with the pads on their toes for climbing, and they are able to climb up the windows of our screen porch. We kept some frog spawn in a small aquarium one year, and they just loved to climb the sides of the tank. ..... We put aquarium gravel in the bottom, and put in a couple of chunks of quartz, that I had dug out of the garden and scrubbed clean, for them to climb out of the water on to. As frogs camouflage themselves to match their environment we soon found we had white frogs!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 8th 2017 at 12:35 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:28 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the old days, a lot of power lines in the UK made a buzzing noise.

The first time my mum came over to the US, years ago, we were outside on a warm summer night. The cicadas were making a racket. Mum turned to DH and said "the telegraph lines certainly are noisy over here, aren't they?"

Husband was thinking "telegraph lines?" Mum was thinking cicadas, what are those?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

The frogs get really loud near me at certain times of year (they started up a few weeks ago but have gone quiet again since the cold snap). Got loads of water runoff ponds around, so they all hangout in those.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I hate frogs. I think it's the jumping I don't like. We used to get bull frogs sitting by the pool croaking away all night. Hubby used to catch them and take them to a nearby lake...but I swear they followed him home. Something else that grossed me out was snakes in the pool...swimmming round and round the side...every so often they would lift their heads out of the water.

Cave crickets...horrid things.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The sound of cicadas is very soothing, to me. Love it. The sound of summer
Me too. It reminds me of visiting the USA as a child with my parents. It was one of the first things I noticed was different between here and the UK.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I hate frogs. I think it's the jumping I don't like. We used to get bull frogs sitting by the pool croaking away all night. Hubby used to catch them and take them to a nearby lake...but I swear they followed him home. Something else that grossed me out was snakes in the pool...swimmming round and round the side...every so often they would lift their heads out of the water.

Cave crickets...horrid things. .....
Are there any animals that you do like?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any animals that you do like?
Dogs.

Don't roll your eyes at me young man!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.