Wikiposts

Pet Peeves?

Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by robin1234
The weird thing is, among the salads is this cheesecake thing with bright red jello on top, cut into big squares. Folk take a slab and it gets covered in potatoes, veg, meat, gravy etc. I've asked people about it.. that cheesecake and jello thing, is it good with the roasted veg and gravy etc.. No, they assure me, it's not cheesecake, it's a SALAD. Er what makes cheesecake and jello a salad??
Always bugged me too. "isn't that dessert?" I asked, but no it wasn't. Plenty of gravy slopped right next to it. My wife's family usually puts cherries in the jello, it's just a plain trifle. I thought that I was the weird one since I don't like sweet and savory mixed in one bite. Fruit on pizza (and pineapple of all fruits you could choose?!), even a jam sandwich tastes weird to me.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:21 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Cheesec...lad-Recipezaar

.....and here was I thinking you were all taking the p#ss.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:13 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Cheesec...lad-Recipezaar

.....and here was I thinking you were all taking the p#ss.
That's it! The very thing! "Cheesecake and Fruit Jello Salad" ????? Er, no, it's "Cheesecake and Fruit Jello"

I just looked "salad" up in the Oxford English Dictionary.
"1. A cold dish of herbs or vegetables (e.g. lettuce, endive), usually uncooked and chopped up or sliced, to which is often added sliced hard-boiled egg, cold meat, fish, etc., the whole being seasoned with salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar."
"2. Any vegetable or herb used in a raw state as an article of food, esp. in the kind of dish described in sense 1; = salad-herb n. at Compounds 2."

Nothing in the OED about jello, marshmallows, sugary glop, whipped topping, mandarin oranges, etc.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:18 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's it! The very thing! "Cheesecake and Fruit Jello Salad" ????? Er, no, it's "Cheesecake and Fruit Jello"

I just looked "salad" up in the Oxford English Dictionary.
"1. A cold dish of herbs or vegetables (e.g. lettuce, endive), usually uncooked and chopped up or sliced, to which is often added sliced hard-boiled egg, cold meat, fish, etc., the whole being seasoned with salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar."
"2. Any vegetable or herb used in a raw state as an article of food, esp. in the kind of dish described in sense 1; = salad-herb n. at Compounds 2."

Nothing in the OED about jello, marshmallows, sugary glop, whipped topping, mandarin oranges, etc.
Exactly. Also note: 'to which is often added ... egg, cold meat ...' - not 'canned meat, such as chicken or tuna with a couple of heaping tablespoonfuls of mayonnaise, for the purpose of making a sandwich'
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Someone I know was bragging about cooking up a special luncheon for the old people of her church. "What are you making?" "A lovely Jello salad".

poor buggers.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:33 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Exactly. Also note: 'to which is often added ... egg, cold meat ...' - not 'canned meat, such as chicken or tuna with a couple of heaping tablespoonfuls of mayonnaise, for the purpose of making a sandwich'
I used to like Hellmanns mayo. Now I realise it is so rich and oily, makes me feel nauseous for hours after eating it.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:33 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I used to like Hellmanns mayo. Now I realise it is so rich and oily, makes me feel nauseous for hours after eating it.
I haven't noticed that, actually, but I was never very heavy handed with the mayo anyway.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:43 am
Heading for Poppyland

I haven't noticed that, actually, but I was never very heavy handed with the mayo anyway.
I must admit I'm OK with the terms "egg salad" and "Tuna salad" what with living with an American for 40 years and all. I like both, with plenty of salt and pepper. I don't bother with the bread or lettuce though, just eat them straight out of the bowl I made them in. Then feel sick for hours.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:46 am
I have a comma problem

I must admit I'm OK with the terms "egg salad" and "Tuna salad" what with living with an American for 40 years and all. I like both, with plenty of salt and pepper. I don't bother with the bread or lettuce though, just eat them straight out of the bowl I made them in. Then feel sick for hours.

They do usually make it into sandwich form for me, but I never bother with the lettuce. It only takes up space that can be filled with more meat ...
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:17 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Chewing gum. Don't people realise they look like cows chewing the cud?!
I really can't stand people chewing away noisily while carrying on a conversation.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

They do usually make it into sandwich form for me, but I never bother with the lettuce. It only takes up space that can be filled with more meat ...
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:30 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pombat
Chewing gum. Don't people realise they look like cows chewing the cud?!
I really can't stand people chewing away noisily while carrying on a conversation.
I can't abide open-mouthed and audible chewing, of gum or anything else.

Chewing gum itself is fine, but not as good as Extra Strong Mints for minty-freshness, of course.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:45 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I can't abide open-mouthed and audible chewing, of gum or anything else.

Chewing gum itself is fine, but not as good as Extra Strong Mints for minty-freshness, of course.
The worst at this, in my opinion, are sports coaches. (Not just American either - just look at that disgusting twerp Alex Ferguson).

Another thing about chewing gum (the whole act disgusts me, actually) is people drinking, while chewing gum at the same time. Morons.

Add to this, snuff and chewing tobacco. Filthy, disgusting, indefensible habits.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:47 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
The worst at this, in my opinion, are sports coaches. (Not just American either - just look at that disgusting twerp Alex Ferguson).

Another thing about chewing gum (the whole act disgusts me, actually) is people drinking, while chewing gum at the same time. Morons.

Add to this, snuff and chewing tobacco. Filthy, disgusting, indefensible habits.
Yes, yes and yes. Especially the last one, I can't understand the chewing tobacco thing at all.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:37 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer

What a surprise that you should mention him. You've never done that before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.