New adventures

Old Jan 9th 2023, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventures

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Very smart and sophisticated
smart maybe. Sophisticated ...not so much. I like plain and simple.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Try a razor-blade - the type you can buy at Home Depot or Ace Hardware. If you splurge and get the $5 holder, it's even easier to use, but not necessary.

Or, if you have a box-cutter, remove the blade and use it.

Hold it at a very shallow angle, and you'll find the stuff comes off really well. Brand new blades make all the difference and avoids any possibility of scratching. When we moved into our new place, the stove-top had those 'baked on' rings and nothing seemed to work, until I tried the razor blades. I've also used razor blades on glass shower enclosures to get rid of hard-water stains.
Cheers. I'll have to see what they have in NZ.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good

Backsplash tiles in place!
It DOES look smart and sophisticated. Enjoy it after all your hard work.
Old Jan 31st 2023, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

So winter time in Pennsylvania.

Up until now it really hasn't been to bad. Snow on and off since November. Some days with really cold icy rain but on the whole it hasn't been too bad. On the really bad days we have just hunkered down and found plenty to do to keep us busy or just had a lazy day reading or watching a movie.

Until yesterday. Our heating quit working Last night it got pretty chilly.
The heating guy came out this morning and of course he has to order a part. We might be lucky and he'll have it by Thursday.We do have an electric fireplace so mostly today I am not leaving the living room

Old Jan 31st 2023, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Up until now it really hasn't been to bad. Snow on and off since November. Some days with really cold icy rain but on the whole it hasn't been too bad. On the really bad days we have just hunkered down and found plenty to do to keep us busy or just had a lazy day reading or watching a movie.

The heating guy came out this morning and of course he has to order a part. We might be lucky and he'll have it by Thursday.We do have an electric fireplace so mostly today I am not leaving the living room
Do you have a split unit with AC and gas furnace in same cabinet? Heat pumps are getting very efficient these days with a recent news blurb that the cold climate state of Maine is actively subsidizing heat pump installations. In my present and previous neighborhood we have no natural gas so in my old house I went with propane and new house heat pump. The heat pump is working out great and now I don’t have to deal with propane delivery and it’s also cheaper.
Old Jan 31st 2023, 4:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's handy having a weather site that you find reliable for what happens resembling what they say may happen. If there's anything that looks like it might be unpleasant out or just not practical because the snow plow is likely to put a wall across your drive you can make sure you have what's needed.

Those magic bag things are good for keeping warm. I often heat one up a bit (microwave) and just sort of hug it if it's a bit chilly and not worth adjusting the house heating. Great bed warmers too and much better than hot water bottles.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Do you have a split unit with AC and gas furnace in same cabinet? Heat pumps are getting very efficient these days with a recent news blurb that the cold climate state of Maine is actively subsidizing heat pump installations. In my present and previous neighborhood we have no natural gas so in my old house I went with propane and new house heat pump. The heat pump is working out great and now I don’t have to deal with propane delivery and it’s also cheaper.
The a/c and gas furnace are together and both were installed only 3 years ago. The problem is with the blower motor. Fingers crossed they can fit it on Thursday.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's handy having a weather site that you find reliable for what happens resembling what they say may happen. If there's anything that looks like it might be unpleasant out or just not practical because the snow plow is likely to put a wall across your drive you can make sure you have what's needed.

Those magic bag things are good for keeping warm. I often heat one up a bit (microwave) and just sort of hug it if it's a bit chilly and not worth adjusting the house heating. Great bed warmers too and much better than hot water bottles.
I have one and I love it! It's on my feet right now
Old Feb 1st 2023, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Why better than hot water bottles (other than the obvious convenience of being heated in the microwave)? I have several hot water bottles and swear by them (here in chilly California ).
Old Feb 1st 2023, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
The problem I have with heat pumps is, the outside 'condenser' unit has to be running during heating mode, as opposed to just cooling mode. While I can tolerate the noise of the condenser during a hot summer's day, I don't like hearing that same noise during the dead of night.
Old Feb 1st 2023, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Why better than hot water bottles (other than the obvious convenience of being heated in the microwave)? I have several hot water bottles and swear by them (here in chilly California ).
The obvious downside to a bottle is they can leak!

I bought my grandkids animal heat bags. One is a hedgehog and one a dragon. There are very cute. I might treat myself to one. I quite fancy a sloth

I think we will sleep in the living room tonight. Our bedroom has two large windows and with no heat in there for two days now it is really chilly.
We could stay at our daughter's but we both have bad colds and coughs ( which we probably got from the grandkids) and we would rather not keep spreading it back and forth.

Did I really leave the gulf coast for this...
Old Feb 1st 2023, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The obvious downside to a bottle is they can leak!

I bought my grandkids animal heat bags. One is a hedgehog and one a dragon. There are very cute. I might treat myself to one. I quite fancy a sloth

I think we will sleep in the living room tonight. Our bedroom has two large windows and with no heat in there for two days now it is really chilly.
We could stay at our daughter's but we both have bad colds and coughs ( which we probably got from the grandkids) and we would rather not keep spreading it back and forth.

Did I really leave the gulf coast for this...
Winter sucks! I'm miserable in California, which means I'm just soft!

Do you have dual-pane windows?

Old Feb 1st 2023, 4:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have one and I love it! It's on my feet right now
What is this magic thing? How long does it last?

We have hot water bottles and blankies .
Old Feb 1st 2023, 2:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason is I think they hold the heat for longer and when they do eventually lose it they actually stay warmish to the touch whereas water gone cold makes the bottle feel cold. I've woken up many a time by touching the cold bottle.

There's always the fear of a leak too.

Where the bottle does have an advantage is a sudden power outage where you can at least fill it quickly from the hot tap and stick it in your bed so it may be ready for you.
(just don't roll on it later )
Old Feb 1st 2023, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

The problem I have with heat pumps is, the outside 'condenser' unit has to be running during heating mode, as opposed to just cooling mode. While I can tolerate the noise of the condenser during a hot summer's day, I don't like hearing that same noise during the dead of night.
Ours is nice and quiet. I posted a pic when you asked.

Originally Posted by BEVS
What is this magic thing? How long does it last?

We have hot water bottles and blankies .
They come in different shapes and sizes. They have things like flax seeds in them. Heat them in the microwave - 30 second bursts, then move them around a bit to avoid a hot bit burning the cover and making a hole. But you can stitch them up if needed, they don't need to look nice.

Mine is hand size and I get it hot, put it in bed while I do my teeth and stuff. It's still warm 4 hours later and by then you're all snug anyway. As an old geezer I need to get up in the night anyway and I give it another burst so it remains lovely and warm to wake up to and luxuriate before actually getting up.

You can also get them for around shoulders or big square ones. They also work for a cold compress too.

This one could actually be separated into 2 or 3 and restitched.

They look expensive sometimes but I have found as well as being better than a hot water bottle they last longer if you don't mind the odd stitch. And if you buy a long one that splits into 2 or 3 they work out cheaper.

But the price variation is such that it's worth shopping around. I just bought three more, free delivery for $5 more than one cost with a delivery charge....but Canada obviously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.