New adventures

Old Jan 5th 2023, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventures

Originally Posted by lizzyq
What do you cook your stir fries in? And for how many people?
I have this wok https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Seasoned-.../dp/B084DQYNNM
Which works fine for fried rice and other wokked things for 2 people, 4 portions at a pinch.
It is very well balanced and easy to keep seasoned. Does not come with a lid but the glass one for my 10" lodge skillet is OK when I need one.
It's a non-stick wok, TBH, I'm planning to bin it when we move. It's rather knackered now. We had a gas hob in the UK which was great for stir-frying but have a ceramic hob in NZ. I wouldn't have one in the future, it marks really easily and isn't very controllable.
There's just the two of us but I sometimes cook for four.
I do like to have a lid on my wok as I make paella in it !! The Spanish would be horrified .
I have to consider the weight of pans, as my wrist gives way these days.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 3:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
..... We had a gas hob in the UK which was great for stir-frying but have a ceramic hob in NZ. I wouldn't have one in the future, it marks really easily and isn't very controllable. ....
By "marks easily", do you mean scratches from the pans, or food spills burned-on and/or from cleaning the spills?

If it's the latter, then you would definitely benefit from an induction hob - food does not burn on to an induction hob because the heat isn't coming through the cooking surface - the surface can never get hotter than the bottom of a pan, which even when searing is still nowhere near the temperature of a ceramic hob. This means that if there is a spill or splash while cooking on an induction hob, you can literally just pick up the pan and wipe the surface with a damp cloth, so the spill doesn't even dry, much less burn onto the surface. .... And induction hobs are as controllable as gas .... a kettle with a whistle will go from full boil to silent in literally two seconds after turning the power off, and a pan boiling over will stop even quicker. This would also benefit your wrist as you would never need to snatch a pan off the cooker to stop it boiling over.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 5th 2023 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I've had more than one thing go to Hawaii by mistake en route from Chicago to places all over the US (but not anywhere near Hawaii).
It was actually going to be delivered to our previous address in Texas. For some unknown reason Home Depot seem to not be able to clear our old address from their system.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
By "marks easily", do you mean scratches from the pans, or food spills burned-on and/or from cleaning the spills?

If it's the latter, then you would definitely benefit from an induction hob - food does not burn on to an induction hob because the heat isn't coming through the cooking surface - the surface can never get hotter than the bottom of a pan, which even when searing is still nowhere near the temperature of a ceramic hob. This means that if there is a spill or splash while cooking on an induction hob, you can literally just pick up the pan and wipe the surface with a damp cloth, so the spill doesn't even dry, much less burn onto the surface. .... And induction hobs are as controllable as gas .... a kettle with a whistle will go from full boil to silent in literally two seconds after turning the power off, and a pan boiling over will stop even quicker. This would also benefit your wrist as you would never need to snatch a pan off the cooker to stop it boiling over.
It's a mixture of both. Water boiling over doesn't tend to be an issue to clean up but any food or sauces can be. There's an area about 7.5mm away from the edge of the rings that tends to be difficult to clean and forms a halo effect around parts of the rings. Tried all different cleaners and elbow grease to clean it off, with very limited success.

A friend of mine has an induction hob that she swears by. I've used it a few times when we've been there for a party or Christmas and I find it painfully slow for making sauces. It has a finger-touch pad for controlling the temperature. I have difficulty operating anything that requires a touch pad. I don't know why. My previous phone used a fingerprint touch pad to unlock it, I could never get into it .
I'm prepared to give one a go when we get back home. Though I'll stick to a kettle for boiling water .
Old Jan 5th 2023, 9:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's a mixture of both. Water boiling over doesn't tend to be an issue to clean up but any food or sauces can be. There's an area about 7.5mm away from the edge of the rings that tends to be difficult to clean and forms a halo effect around parts of the rings. ....
Yeah, I have experienced those burn-ring halos on traditional ceramic sealed-surface cookers/hobs, and in one case I even used an old chisel to remove what appeared to be at least 1mm of burned-on carbon build-up.

Our induction stoves have never had any such build-up after 10-13 years. One has a few light scratches, and the other has lost the shine over one "ring", but they definitely look better than a ceramic hob would after maybe just 1 year.

I am not sure why an induction hob would be slow for making sauces, unless you're not using it at the correct temperature?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 5th 2023 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's a mixture of both. Water boiling over doesn't tend to be an issue to clean up but any food or sauces can be. There's an area about 7.5mm away from the edge of the rings that tends to be difficult to clean and forms a halo effect around parts of the rings. Tried all different cleaners and elbow grease to clean it off, with very limited success.
Try a razor-blade - the type you can buy at Home Depot or Ace Hardware. If you splurge and get the $5 holder, it's even easier to use, but not necessary.

Or, if you have a box-cutter, remove the blade and use it.

Hold it at a very shallow angle, and you'll find the stuff comes off really well. Brand new blades make all the difference and avoids any possibility of scratching. When we moved into our new place, the stove-top had those 'baked on' rings and nothing seemed to work, until I tried the razor blades. I've also used razor blades on glass shower enclosures to get rid of hard-water stains.

Old Jan 6th 2023, 1:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Try a razor-blade - the type you can buy at Home Depot or Ace Hardware. If you splurge and get the $5 holder, it's even easier to use, but not necessary.

Or, if you have a box-cutter, remove the blade and use it.

Hold it at a very shallow angle, and you'll find the stuff comes off really well. Brand new blades make all the difference and avoids any possibility of scratching. When we moved into our new place, the stove-top had those 'baked on' rings and nothing seemed to work, until I tried the razor blades. I've also used razor blades on glass shower enclosures to get rid of hard-water stains.
Agreed. I use a purpose-made Werxrite RetraGuard Safety Razor Scraper for Induction and Glass Cooktops from Amazon (lots of other brands there, too), along with Weiman Stove Top Cleaner; my 20+ year old ceramic top looks brand new. I always clean before re-use when there's a spill, not because I'm worried about it baking on, but because otherwise it stains the bottom of my stainless steel pans and they're more of a pain to clean than the cooktop.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Backsplash tiles in place!

Last edited by Jolly Good; Jan 7th 2023 at 3:14 am.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 3:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good

Backslash tiles in place!

All finished - looks fantastic!
Old Jan 7th 2023, 3:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Backslash tiles in place!
Really beautiful JG, great colours and design.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

All finished - looks fantastic!
Thanks. My job was to wipe down after the grout was applied. I guess some places need a bit more wiping. I can see some smears on the tiles
Old Jan 7th 2023, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Really beautiful JG, great colours and design.
Thanks. Now for the next project

Our neighbors are convinced we are flipping the house and will be selling it soon. We like to keep them guessing.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Tiles look great. Very fast install did you rent a tile saw? I did my house tile floors using a $40 Harbor freight wet saw. A better saw would have made the job a lot easier.
Old Jan 9th 2023, 8:26 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Backsplash tiles in place!

Very smart and sophisticated

Old Jan 9th 2023, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Tiles look great. Very fast install did you rent a tile saw? I did my house tile floors using a $40 Harbor freight wet saw. A better saw would have made the job a lot easier.
We already had a tile saw from when we tiled our bathrooms in our house in Texas. 6x3 ceramic tiles are easy to cut. Floor tiles are a different story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.