New adventures

Old Dec 26th 2022, 11:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New adventures

I have the same gas stove but mine is Aurora Gas Range by GE. I find that I never use the middle burner even though I opted for both the grill and the plate attachment. I don't like cooking with electric so since we already had a gas line into the house we converted from electric to gas. We heat with gas, thank goodness.
Old Dec 27th 2022, 4:50 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
The kitchen

All cabinets are now fitted. Quartz people arrived on the 20th as promised.
Sink and dishwasher hooked up. I finally have a working kitchen and we had a Christmas dinner!

One more thing to do. We have to tile a back splash and of course the tiles I wanted had to be ordered. Fingers crossed they will arrive on the 30th. So it might be complete by the end of the year!

( excuse the dirty floor. TheQuartz fitters had just left. They had snowy slushy boots on!)

Looking very good. You have a very good kitchen in the making.
Old Dec 27th 2022, 9:41 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The kitchen

Sink and dishwasher hooked up. I finally have a working kitchen and we had a Christmas dinner!

One more thing to do. We have to tile a back splash and of course the tiles I wanted had to be ordered. Fingers crossed they will arrive on the 30th. So it might be complete by the end of the year!

( excuse the dirty floor. TheQuartz fitters had just left. They had snowy slushy boots on!)

Very nice, well done. Slightly relieved to read about the fitters - for a minute there I thought you had Mr. Jolly Good installing the kitchen on Christmas Day.
Old Dec 27th 2022, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Very nice, well done. Slightly relieved to read about the fitters - for a minute there I thought you had Mr. Jolly Good installing the kitchen on Christmas Day.
If we had been able to get the tiles in time he probably would have been tiling on Christmas day
Old Dec 27th 2022, 9:44 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

If we had been able to get the tiles in time he probably would have been tiling on Christmas day
It looks similar to the last one we did. We went with someone that did semi custom with IKEA cabinets. it was mostly Brooklyn inspired… everyone out here gets what I call “Westport white”, because they all do white cabinets… and wolf and subzero…. But I would not put that much money in to that house… would become a jumbo from a conforming and limit the buyer pool…

The LG appliances suck… microwave had to be repaired… I had to replace the igniter in the gas oven myself (could not find anyone to do it). And the fridge had to have both the compressor and ice maker replaced and then then something went again and a new compressor later it still would not keep cool… so we went with a “poor man’s” subzero… a Bosch with a dual compressor…

Old Dec 28th 2022, 5:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
.... The LG appliances suck…
A good friend of mine worked as a lead design engineer for a Korean company, running their UK design and engineering centre, and he warned me more than 25 years ago to avoid Korean appliances. To this day, I have yet to hear anyone say anything good about their Korean appliances, though I have heard many complaints, and needless to say have never purchased any myself. ... That said, the Koreans appear to have figured out how to make world-beating phones and TVs.

On an unrelated noted, if anyone is looking to remodel their kitchen or upgrade their appliances, especially if they are considering switch to gas, I recommend looking for an induction stove - you get a sealed-surface glass top that is even easier to keep clean than a traditional electric stove, and controlability comparable to a gas stove.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 28th 2022 at 6:01 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2022, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A good friend of mine worked as a lead design engineer for a Korean company, running their UK design and engineering centre, and he warned me more than 25 years ago to avoid Korean appliances. To this day, I have yet to hear anyone say anything good about their Korean appliances, though I have heard many complaints, and needless to say have never purchased any myself. ... That said, the Koreans appear to have figured out how to make world-beating phones and TVs.
Our fancy Samsung fridge (inherited when we bought the place) needed an expensive repair soon after we moved in - the entire inside back was icing up all the time. Since it was repaired, it's been great - so far!

On an unrelated noted, if anyone is looking to remodel their kitchen or upgrade their appliances, especially if they are considering switch to gas, I recommend looking for an induction stove - you get a sealed-surface glass top that is even easier to keep clean than a traditional electric stove, and controlability comparable to a gas stove.
... and the pleasure of buying a whole new set of pans (potentially)!

I was at a friend's house where they had a fancy induction stove; there was a surprising 'hum' to the device, which cycled on and off in a distracting manner (as the energy source cycled on/off to maintain a temperature). Probably wouldn't bother me too much but I hate noises that cycle. I love gas; you can just look at the flame and know how to adjust. Sadly our current place doesn't have gas in the kitchen.
Old Dec 28th 2022, 9:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
... and the pleasure of buying a whole new set of pans (potentially)! ....
Mrs P already had several fancy stainless steel Allclad pans before we got our first induction stove c2009, but she was more than happy to go on a spree acquiring more after we had to retire our remaining aluminium pans.
.... I was at a friend's house where they had a fancy induction stove; there was a surprising 'hum' to the device, which cycled on and off in a distracting manner ....
Yes, all induction stoves have some tendency to make a humming noise, though it varies from brand to brand, and my limited experience of owning two induction stoves, is that, perhaps unsurprisingly, the cheaper stove has the more intrusive hum.

FWIW I find that I notice that the more expensive one has stopped humming, when I turn it off, more than I notice the humming while I am cooking, perhaps because bubbling pans and sizzling meat, together with any noises I am making, such as chopping or beating, not to mention talking and/or listening to music or YT videos, more than drowns out any humming sound.

One other thing: I think, as a 12+ year owner/user of induction stoves, is that one of the biggest pluses to using an induction stove, especially in the summer, is that all of the heat is generated in the pan, so very little goes to making the kitchen, and the cook, hotter. And anyone who bemoans the availability and quality of kettles in the US will definitely enjoy using a stove-top kettle on an induction stove as it will beat any plug-in kettle for speed, and can safely boil water for a single cup of tea.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 28th 2022 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 5:48 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I have to second this recommendation of induction stoves/cook tops. We got rid of our old electric range and replaced with an induction range/convection oven 6 years ago and I have not looked back. We did consider gas but would have had to get the gas line extended into the kitchen and as I prefer baking in a convection oven to a gas oven, and dual fuel (gas hob and electric oven) ranges were truly exorbitant induction was the way to go. Most of the pans I had brought over from the UK were suitable for induction and it works a treat with cast iron. I have also added to my cast iron cookware when Aldi have good deals on fully glazed/enamelled items - much cheaper than the big names and seem to be durable enough for us. The cleaning is very easy and although I hear the "hum" when I am close to the range it is not audible over other household background noise from further away. The only thing that is not as good as on gas is a wok, but I sourced a good quality one recommended for induction and it is acceptable, especially when only cooking for two people most of the time.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 5:52 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

The kitchen

<Pictures snipped>

That looks great! And I am so glad you had it sufficiently complete to cook Christmas dinner. Look forward to seeing it all tiled up soon

One day over here I will have a kitchen to my specification and I even have my sink already - I bought the last European style one with an integrated drainer and the extra half bowl from an Ikea when they were being discontinued and heavily discounted.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
That looks great! And I am so glad you had it sufficiently complete to cook Christmas dinner. Look forward to seeing it all tiled up soon
About the tiles. I tracked the deliver on the 29th to make sure they were still arriving on the 30th and low and behold they were on their way to Texas even though the delivery address was Pittsburgh. I called and for some reason somewhere and somehow our old address was still in Home Depot system. I even watched the order being put in the system with the correct address and it was on my printed receipt and the online tracking receipt. Nobody could explain why. So needless to say they didn't show up until today. I did get the sum of $53.01 taken off the order for inconvenience.

Still shaking my head.
Old Jan 3rd 2023, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

My wife ordered something the other day and followed the tracking until it was in Chattanooga one stop away from us (US Mail) then the next update was it had arrived in Honolulu. We got it several days later.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 8:15 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

About the tiles. I tracked the deliver on the 29th to make sure they were still arriving on the 30th and low and behold they were on their way to Texas even though the delivery address was Pittsburgh. I called and for some reason somewhere and somehow our old address was still in Home Depot system. I even watched the order being put in the system with the correct address and it was on my printed receipt and the online tracking receipt. Nobody could explain why. So needless to say they didn't show up until today. I did get the sum of $53.01 taken off the order for inconvenience.

Still shaking my head.
Originally Posted by ddsrph
My wife ordered something the other day and followed the tracking until it was in Chattanooga one stop away from us (US Mail) then the next update was it had arrived in Honolulu. We got it several days later.

I've had more than one thing go to Hawaii by mistake en route from Chicago to places all over the US (but not anywhere near Hawaii).
Old Jan 4th 2023, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

The kitchen

It looks great. Can't wait for us to be able to move and be able to have my dream kitchen, so I'm green with envy at yours, in the nicest possible way .

Induction hob question....any good for stir fries? It's what I cook mostly and so far nothing is as good as gas.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 6:00 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
It looks great. Can't wait for us to be able to move and be able to have my dream kitchen, so I'm green with envy at yours, in the nicest possible way .

Induction hob question....any good for stir fries? It's what I cook mostly and so far nothing is as good as gas.
What do you cook your stir fries in? And for how many people?
I have this wok https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Seasoned-.../dp/B084DQYNNM
Which works fine for fried rice and other wokked things for 2 people, 4 portions at a pinch.
It is very well balanced and easy to keep seasoned. Does not come with a lid but the glass one for my 10" lodge skillet is OK when I need one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.