Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Netflix Documentaries

Netflix Documentaries

Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix Documentaries

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Nothing better than a good real life murder mayhem crazy series on Netflix if you have cabin fever.
The Tiger King has it all and more.
It really is a WTF moment over and over again. And just as you think there can't be an more to the story another weird and crazy character pops up.

Please watch it. It will take your mind off the other real craziness out there!
EXCELLENT advice!!!!!! I watched it last night - first two episodes. It completely absorbed me and made me forget about the world - just what I needed!

I very nearly did my usual and just watch and watch, the way Netflix encourages you to do, but I managed to stop it at the start of E3 and save for another day. When I started watching, I assumed it was a single show but ... oh my ... it has something like 8 episodes! This really does give some insight into the workings of the 'less advanced' states in the US (trying not to sound too arrogant / superior here, but WTF - I never, ever, ever dreamed this sort of thing could happen in the US but here it is - going on in places like Arkansas, Oklahoma, backwoods of Florida, etc!). True fact (according to this documentary) - there are more tigers in captivity in the US than exist in the entire world in the wild! Holy Crap! And how do these people own so much land?!?!? Living in CA, where land is expensive, it boggles the mind that people can even conceive of owning the amount of land that seems to be in play. That guy with all the 'wives' .... looks like his compound includes a street with a house for each lady ... Mind blowing ...

And I like the overall tone - so far at least, it's verging on a comedy show, which is not bad right now given my state of mind. One could present this as an absolute travesty and really rile you up over the animals, but it somehow avoids that (others may disagree).
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
EXCELLENT advice!!!!!! I watched it last night - first two episodes. It completely absorbed me and made me forget about the world - just what I needed!

I very nearly did my usual and just watch and watch, the way Netflix encourages you to do, but I managed to stop it at the start of E3 and save for another day. When I started watching, I assumed it was a single show but ... oh my ... it has something like 8 episodes! This really does give some insight into the workings of the 'less advanced' states in the US (trying not to sound too arrogant / superior here, but WTF - I never, ever, ever dreamed this sort of thing could happen in the US but here it is - going on in places like Arkansas, Oklahoma, backwoods of Florida, etc!). True fact (according to this documentary) - there are more tigers in captivity in the US than exist in the entire world in the wild! Holy Crap! And how do these people own so much land?!?!? Living in CA, where land is expensive, it boggles the mind that people can even conceive of owning the amount of land that seems to be in play. That guy with all the 'wives' .... looks like his compound includes a street with a house for each lady ... Mind blowing ...

And I like the overall tone - so far at least, it's verging on a comedy show, which is not bad right now given my state of mind. One could present this as an absolute travesty and really rile you up over the animals, but it somehow avoids that (others may disagree).

And they all think in their own way that the care of the animals is most important! Yeah, right

It certainly is entertaining and we tried not to binge watch as well but did one episode a day . I couldn't sleep on Friday night and by 2.30am Saturday we were both wide awake so we watched the last 2 episodes very very early Saturday morning! An interesting way to start the weekend.

Oops..forgot . What's a weekend? Makes no difference nowadays,right?
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing better than a good real life murder mayhem crazy series on Netflix if you have cabin fever.
The Tiger King has it all and more.
It really is a WTF moment over and over again. And just as you think there can't be an more to the story another weird and crazy character pops up.

Please watch it. It will take your mind off the other real craziness out there!
My friends have watched it and raved about it.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

And they all think in their own way that the care of the animals is most important! Yeah, right

It certainly is entertaining and we tried not to binge watch as well but did one episode a day . I couldn't sleep on Friday night and by 2.30am Saturday we were both wide awake so we watched the last 2 episodes very very early Saturday morning! An interesting way to start the weekend.

Oops..forgot . What's a weekend? Makes no difference nowadays,right?
Nope! Especially since you and I both are retired now anyway !!!! In fact, the weekend now means - remember to avoid shopping because that's when all the 'other' people are out there! But also good for long drives, I guess, as there are fewer trucks on the road.

It absolutely never occurred to me for one minute that such places could be legal ...
Old Mar 29th 2020, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope! Especially since you and I both are retired now anyway !!!! In fact, the weekend now means - remember to avoid shopping because that's when all the 'other' people are out there! But also good for long drives, I guess, as there are fewer trucks on the road.

It absolutely never occurred to me for one minute that such places could be legal ...
Apparently there are more tigers in captivity than in the wild. If that is true that is so sad.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking of Tigers, came across this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9438451.html

Nobody is talking about the misogyny of Tiger King so I will?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Talking of Tigers, came across this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9438451.html

Nobody is talking about the misogyny of Tiger King so I will?
To others - be aware, the above link contains spoilers if you haven't yet seen, or finished, the documentary (I haven't finished it yet).

The article is certainly not wrong. But part of the appeal of the documentary is it takes a rather off-beat view of the whole situation. The fact this (the raising of tiger cubs) is even marginally legal is my biggest takeaway. The whole lot of them should be shut down in some ways. The lady in question certainly doesn't get a good 'look' in this, and that's unfortunate. But if nothing else, more people will now know that this sort of weird stuff is going on, and maybe something will be done about it.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on episode 3 of this Tiger King, almost hard to believe these are real people. Guess real life is more interesting than fiction.

That lady in Florida odd one, and her husband who vanished, interesting.

I will continue watching.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 31st 2020 at 8:05 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

To others - be aware, the above link contains spoilers if you haven't yet seen, or finished, the documentary (I haven't finished it yet).

The article is certainly not wrong. But part of the appeal of the documentary is it takes a rather off-beat view of the whole situation. The fact this (the raising of tiger cubs) is even marginally legal is my biggest takeaway. The whole lot of them should be shut down in some ways. The lady in question certainly doesn't get a good 'look' in this, and that's unfortunate. But if nothing else, more people will now know that this sort of weird stuff is going on, and maybe something will be done about it.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am on episode 3 of this Tiger King, almost hard to believe these are real people. Guess real life is more interesting than fiction.

That lady in Florida odd one, and her husband who vanished, interesting.

I will continue watching.

Also the fact that she thinks she is saving the animals while still exploiting them and making lots of money.

They are all as bad as each other.

As for her previous husband. Look under the septic system
Old Apr 4th 2020, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Also the fact that she thinks she is saving the animals while still exploiting them and making lots of money.

That's my exact thoughts on the documentary. That women telling everyone she's 'rescuing' the tigers is just false, she's exploiting them just as bad as the others.
Also her husband (the non vanished one) is such a little bitch. if you notice every time he talks she's looking at him intently, making sure he says the right words.
It gets to a certain point into the documentary where it's not about the tigers anymore and more about pitting a couple of sociopaths against each other to see who will win.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check receipts for Sardines.....
Old Apr 4th 2020, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cheradenine
That's my exact thoughts on the documentary. That women telling everyone she's 'rescuing' the tigers is just false, she's exploiting them just as bad as the others.
Also her husband (the non vanished one) is such a little bitch. if you notice every time he talks she's looking at him intently, making sure he says the right words.
It gets to a certain point into the documentary where it's not about the tigers anymore and more about pitting a couple of sociopaths against each other to see who will win.
I'd say it got to that point fairly and squarely by about Episode 3! The tigers hardly featured after that. The fact that these kinds of people exist at all just blows my mind.

I'm glad I watched the whole thing, but I think it could have been edited down to about half the length and would have been a better show as a result.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone watch How to fix a drug scandal? It's only 4 episodes, but man I have lost trust in any state crime lab after starting this one.

"unrelated mistakes of two strangers and a double-sided scandal that rocked the entire Massachusetts legal system."

https://www.newsweek.com/crazy-drug-...u-need-1495601

As for the tigers, the federal government should ban ownership of them unless an accredited zoological facility.

Old Apr 5th 2020, 12:55 am
Account Closed

We now know where 39 tigers from the Tiger King's facility went, they found new home in Colorado.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6772912/t...uX_pTw-4i3RVk0

Looking at the facilities website, looks like these cats will have a much nicer life there.

https://www.wildanimalsanctuary.org/
Old Apr 5th 2020, 2:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Anyone watch How to fix a drug scandal? It's only 4 episodes, but man I have lost trust in any state crime lab after starting this one.

"unrelated mistakes of two strangers and a double-sided scandal that rocked the entire Massachusetts legal system."

https://www.newsweek.com/crazy-drug-...u-need-1495601

As for the tigers, the federal government should ban ownership of them unless an accredited zoological facility.
You should also watch The Pharmacist. Trying to stop the opioid addiction. It is well worth watching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.