Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Netflix Documentaries

Netflix Documentaries

Old Apr 8th 2020, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix Documentaries

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You should also watch The Pharmacist. Trying to stop the opioid addiction. It is well worth watching.
I just finished it last night. Thanks for the suggestion, was he ever persistent, keeping the cops on their toes. I do think that doctor got off way too easily, accident or not, she should have gone to prison for at least a few years and she seems to have no remorse at all.

I had no idea such pill mill doctors actually existed, always thought it was largely a TV and movie idea, crazy how easy it was, and that drug company executive towards the end lying through his teeth, pure greed.

Old Apr 9th 2020, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just finished it last night. Thanks for the suggestion, was he ever persistent, keeping the cops on their toes. I do think that doctor got off way too easily, accident or not, she should have gone to prison for at least a few years and she seems to have no remorse at all.

I had no idea such pill mill doctors actually existed, always thought it was largely a TV and movie idea, crazy how easy it was, and that drug company executive towards the end lying through his teeth, pure greed.

It really was an eyeopener and yes he certainly was persistent. It just made me mad that it took so long for them to arrest her and close her down. It was so obvious what she was doing!
Old Apr 20th 2020, 2:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix has added an 8th episode of Tiger King, a follow up episode with some of the people involved, seems to have been made recently based on the host speaking about being in the middle of a pandemic.
Old Apr 20th 2020, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Netflix has added an 8th episode of Tiger King, a follow up episode with some of the people involved, seems to have been made recently based on the host speaking about being in the middle of a pandemic.
That reminds me. Have you seen the documentary called Pandemic on Netflix. It was made before the situation going on now but it is very interesting and answers a lot of questions!
Old May 13th 2020, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I just got Netflix back after moving to area without WiFi. We just got WiFi service last week. This is probably old news but I just watched Dead to Me and thought it was good. Hopefully they will continue with a third season.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

Tiger King Saga

This from June,

A federal judge gave Carole Baskin control over Joe's old zoo, and ordered Jeff Lowe and his animals to be off the property within 120 days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52888484

This from today.

The zoo is closing permanently, and Jeff Lowe has voluntarily forfeited his United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) exhibitor's license - which allowed him to buy and sell animals - due to the park's permanent closure.

And the family of Baskin's ex-husband has filed a lawsuit against her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53742563

"A lawyer for the family has filed the lawsuit in an attempt to force Baskin to give evidence on the record."

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 19th 2020 at 5:14 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Not Netflix, but an HBO documentary -

https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/nxivm-documentary

Only 1 episode so far, but I found it extremely interesting. Can't wait for the next one!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/a...vow-nxivm.html

As dangerous conspiracy theories rise to shocking prominence in American life, “The Vow” examines why people are so primed to fall for the kind of tempting but perilous psychological traps that skilled manipulators use to lure and catch their idealistic prey.

“The Vow” illustrates how seemingly bright, capable people ended up enmeshed in the organization. As Mark Vicente, one of many appealing, complicated Nxivm refugees who appear in the series, put it: “We’re not [expletive], strange monsters that made bad choices our whole life. We didn’t join a cult. Nobody joins a cult! Nobody. They join a good thing — and then they realize they were [expletive].”
Old Aug 27th 2020, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt a lot about US history from watching 13th https://www.netflix.com/title/80091741 . I am always a bit skeptical about these types of documentaries, but before this I had no idea who Jim Crow was and how the system works in the US. I totally understand a lot of the white privilege thing now
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 7:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Rising Phoenix. A "Netflix Original" documentary telling the story of the Paralympic Games movement through the eyes of athletes, officials, and the daughter of Dr Ludwig Guttman, who started the whole thing at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in the late 1940s. Even Prince Harry (speaking with his Invictus Games hat on) manages to sound mostly sensible. Some very moving stories, some frustration - especially with the mess that almost resulted in the Rio games being cancelled - and a whole load of hope.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Rising Phoenix. A "Netflix Original" documentary telling the story of the Paralympic Games movement through the eyes of athletes, officials, and the daughter of Dr Ludwig Guttman, who started the whole thing at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in the late 1940s. Even Prince Harry (speaking with his Invictus Games hat on) manages to sound mostly sensible. Some very moving stories, some frustration - especially with the mess that almost resulted in the Rio games being cancelled - and a whole load of hope.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will put it on the list!
Old Sep 18th 2020, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I'm in heaven! Last night I stumbled upon 'Challenger', a Netfix documentary about NASA's shuttle program and specifically the Challenger disaster, which killed the crew and the first-ever "civilian passenger" (Christa McAuliffe, the school-teacher). As a space-geek, I would watch virtually anything about space programs, but this one blew me away (I stopped after 2 episodes, just to spread out the joy ... I could have easily stayed up till 4am and finished it off in one sitting!).

With public interest in the staggeringly expensive program fading, the idea of sending up a civilian teacher was immensely successful in re-engaging the public. But technical challenges with one of the key components - the solid booster rockets - threatened to delay the program. But having committed to the schedule for the special mission, the pressure was on to keep to schedule so concerns about the booster rockets were minimized. We learn about the excitement generated by McAuliffe, the fears of the Morton Thiokol engineers responsible for the booster rockets, and gain insight into how NASA projects are run (complex public-private ventures). With so many documentaries these days stretching things out unnecessarily, it was a joy to watch something so fully engaging!

As an engineer, I'm always fascinated by stories of mega-projects ... so immensely complicated that no one human being can really grasp all the elements. But what I wasn't ready for was the human side of this story.

As an aside ... what a choice Christa McAuliffe was! She was charming, positive, optimistic, energetic ... the 'perfect' ambassador for teachers. It really was a tragedy that it ended the way it did.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

We watched that on Tuesday while sheltering from Hurricane Sally. Watched the whole thing in one sitting.

I had seen programmes before about this so knew a lot of the background but this did go deeper with more personal stories.

It got me that the guy most directly responsible said he had no guilt and would make the same decisions again.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 2:18 am
Account Closed

First episode of the Great British Bake Off is on Netflix.

Love it!
Old Sep 26th 2020, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chawkins99
We watched that on Tuesday while sheltering from Hurricane Sally. Watched the whole thing in one sitting.

I had seen programmes before about this so knew a lot of the background but this did go deeper with more personal stories.

It got me that the guy most directly responsible said he had no guilt and would make the same decisions again.
I really hope they do another similar-quality documentary on the second space shuttle tragedy, where the shuttle Columbia broke up on re-entry in 2003 (17 years after the Challenger disaster). Apparently similar issues - well known problems, pressure to keep going.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Murder Mountain. California Marijuana farming, illegal and legal. It's an interesting series.
Better late than never - just over a year since you posted this, I started "Murder Mountain" last night - absolutely fascinating! And what scenery! I've spent a small amount of time in Mendocino and Humboldt counties on 'long weekend getaways' and it is beautiful up there. Now I"m glad I didn't drive off on too many 'back roads'! I'm only part-way into it but it's fascinating to see how legalization of marijuana completely messed up the growers. Highly recommended, with a good dose of 'unintended consequences'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.