Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Netflix Documentaries

Netflix Documentaries

Old May 21st 2018, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Netflix Documentaries

Evil Genius: Really well made series that we binge watched last weekend
I am your Father: All about David Prowse and his Darth Vader experience ( and his Green Cross Code days!)
Wild wild Country: Wow, I knew some of this story but not much. Really interesting, just a bit slow to get going. It was today's binge watch!

if your looking for something to watch check them out.
Old May 21st 2018, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix Documentaries

Yes..Evil Genius is freaky and Wild Wild Country is facinating.
Old May 21st 2018, 11:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Yes..Evil Genius is freaky and Wild Wild Country is facinating.

Certainly are! When you remember the story but don't know the whole outcome or all the characters involved they were both fascinating, surprising and totally freaky!
Old May 21st 2018, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree on Evil Genius + Wild WIld Country - had no clue of the entire story of either and mind boggling what actually happened in Oregon...! Good binge watches
Old May 21st 2018, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Just caught the first episode of Evil Genius last night - really really good, definitely up there with Making a Murderer in terms of production and how gripping it is.

Haven't watched or even heard of Wild Wild Country?
Old May 21st 2018, 6:09 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

We lived on the same street as David Prowse. My sister and his daughter were friends. She went to his house and came back with one of those things that has two photos - one of the actor, one of the character.
It was signed to my sister and says "Dave Prowse is Darth Vader". I was so jealous. He did come to our school as the Green Cross Code man though.
I never met Tufty the Squirrel, though.
Old May 21st 2018, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BenK91
Just caught the first episode of Evil Genius last night - really really good, definitely up there with Making a Murderer in terms of production and how gripping it is.

Haven't watched or even heard of Wild Wild Country?

You need to watch. The first episode is a little slow to get into it but half way through episode 2 we were hooked!
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:01 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Wild Wild Country is really good. The story begins in a strange manner and keeps getting more insane as it progresses. The people involved have amazing personalities. Also, it effectively captured certain aspects of America in the early eighties when cultish groups were popular, reactions against Reagan were as strong as reactions against Trump and the dream of the sixties was transforming into something a bit weirder. As someone who grew up in a very left wing / ex-hippie part of the country during that time, it brought me right back. I knew lots of people just like the Rajneeshi, minus the automatic weapons and salmonella.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 2:45 am
Account Closed

The staircase. Just started this one we are 4 episodes in and it is very intriguing!
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
The staircase. Just started this one we are 4 episodes in and it is very intriguing!
I'm loving 'Wild, Wild Country' - thanks for the pointer. I came to the US in the early 80s, and I remember these events quite well, but didn't know all the details. Coming not long after the mass suicides of 'Jonestown' (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8232856.html), and with the 'Moonies' in the public eye (mass marriages at Madison Square Garden - https://www.tparents.org/Library/Uni...rs/40-4-10.htm ), this cult got a good deal of media attention at the time, but then gradually drifted from public view.

This documentary gives a whole lot of details. I love the fact that they got "Sheela" to play a central role in the show - like her or not, she was a woman with a purpose, and it's great to get the story directly from her - and they have a ton of archival footage from the time. There are a few negatives for me - I believe they tried to make the old footage look way more scratchy/distorted/wobbly than it really was (to the point of looking amateurish and distracting), and they don't ever seem to try - despite 6 hours of coverage - to answer the question of 'why' so many people followed the guru. They also don't seem to give much insight into the financing, and logistics, of the operation.

But the negatives are minor and the subject matter is definitely in the 'stranger than fiction / you couldn't make this shit up' category. It has everything - voter fraud, salmonella poisoning, bombings, bigotry, group sex, semi-automatic weapons, religious rights, land use, immigration fraud, and a bunch of naked bodies. ETA: I forgot to mention the 93 Rolls Royces!

What I'm currently fascinated by, and trying to read more about, is just how they built a big town (complete with airstrip) in the middle of the wild country ... they put in power generation, sewage handling, water systems, dams, the lot.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 2nd 2018 at 8:37 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm loving 'Wild, Wild Country' - thanks for the pointer. I came to the US in the early 80s, and I remember these events quite well, but didn't know all the details. Coming not long after the mass suicides of 'Jonestown' (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8232856.html), and with the 'Moonies' in the public eye (mass marriages at Madison Square Garden - https://www.tparents.org/Library/Uni...rs/40-4-10.htm ), this cult got a good deal of media attention at the time, but then gradually drifted from public view.

This documentary gives a whole lot of details. I love the fact that they got "Sheela" to play a central role in the show - like her or not, she was a woman with a purpose, and it's great to get the story directly from her - and they have a ton of archival footage from the time. There are a few negatives for me - I believe they tried to make the old footage look way more scratchy/distorted/wobbly than it really was (to the point of looking amateurish and distracting), and they don't ever seem to try - despite 6 hours of coverage - to answer the question of 'why' so many people followed the guru. They also don't seem to give much insight into the financing, and logistics, of the operation.

But the negatives are minor and the subject matter is definitely in the 'stranger than fiction / you couldn't make this shit up' category. It has everything - voter fraud, salmonella poisoning, bombings, bigotry, group sex, semi-automatic weapons, religious rights, land use, immigration fraud, and a bunch of naked bodies. ETA: I forgot to mention the 93 Rolls Royces!

What I'm currently fascinated by, and trying to read more about, is just how they built a big town (complete with airstrip) in the middle of the wild country ... they put in power generation, sewage handling, water systems, dams, the lot.

Glad you enjoyed it. And yes I read everything I could find about it as well.it was amazing as well as scary to think how easy people can be led!
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Glad you enjoyed it. And yes I read everything I could find about it as well.it was amazing as well as scary to think how easy people can be led!
Or more to the point, 'want to be led'!
I found this great article from the time. Clive James ... now he was worth listening to! The Bagwash speaks | clivejames.com
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Or more to the point, 'want to be led'!
I found this great article from the time. Clive James ... now he was worth listening to! The Bagwash speaks clivejames.com
As I search for more related info online, I came across this fairly low-key article, which has many links and references for further reading - https://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/0...n_rajnees.html .

And here's more stuff I found ...
. badly edited, including several minutes of 'nothing' at the beginning, but about 5 minutes in, you see (who I think is) the lawyer 'Niren' who features heavily in the documentary (and very eloquent), and then starting at about 10 minutes in, you see an interview with Baghwan himself ... hard to watch due to his stop/start style of speaking ... and then a real fun interview with the lady who I think took over from Sheela ... very open and charming.

And here's a 'where are they now ...' page: http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/wild-...-they-now.html
and more ... https://www.refinery29.com/2018/03/1...ding-episode-6

I've also ordered this book from Amazon - "My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the Guru": https://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Orange-Growing-Guru-ebook/dp/B01BL4HHEU

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 3rd 2018 at 6:35 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

As I search for more related info online, I came across this fairly low-key article, which has many links and references for further reading - https://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/0...n_rajnees.html .

And here's more stuff I found ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDMjBdHjLBo . badly edited, including several minutes of 'nothing' at the beginning, but about 5 minutes in, you see (who I think is) the lawyer 'Niren' who features heavily in the documentary (and very eloquent), and then starting at about 10 minutes in, you see an interview with Baghwan himself ... hard to watch due to his stop/start style of speaking ... and then a real fun interview with the lady who I think took over from Sheela ... very open and charming.

And here's a 'where are they now ...' page: http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/wild-...-they-now.html
and more ... https://www.refinery29.com/2018/03/1...ding-episode-6

I've also ordered this book from Amazon - "My Life in Orange: Growing Up with the Guru": https://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Orang.../dp/B01BL4HHEU

Interesting! I might order that book as well.

All the documentaries we watch I always search to find out what has gone on afterwards, it makes it even more interesting!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Not a documentary this time but a movie based on a true story.

The Seige of Jadotville. When you start reading about the events that happened at this time and how the Irish contingent of UN Forces were treated so badly it is amazing WW3 didnt break out.

I have read a lot about this since watching this movie. It really was kept very quiet. I'm glad they finally got the recognition they deserved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.