Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to America despite hating it

Moving to America despite hating it

Old Aug 30th 2014, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America despite hating it

Professional employee or not there are few companies that will give you three weeks holidays in the first year. Very few.

10 days if you're lucky, and I've worked many professional jobs.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Sally: You been shopping in Tesco's?
Old Aug 30th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

[QUOTE=TMR;11384795]Hi everyone. I'm new and wondered if anybody has some guidance re my situation..

My wife is a USC and we met in London. She was here on a Highly Skilled Migrant visa working for an investment bank. Previously she worked for banks in NYC and Chicago. She now wishes to progress her career back in NYC.

The question you should be asking yourself is, "How much do I love my wife?". All other doubts, queries, fears and hopes lead to that one question. But I'm just a silly romantic xxx
Old Aug 30th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lola-Monmouth;11387273]
Originally Posted by TMR
The question you should be asking yourself is, "How much do I love my wife?". All other doubts, queries, fears and hopes lead to that one question. But I'm just a silly romantic xxx
Surely, and in a spirit of sex equality, shouldn't the question of how much she loves him also apply
Old Aug 30th 2014, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Naturally, goes without saying. But it does rather depend on how much he values a peaceful life. Seriously in all coupleships (is that a word?) there are times when one person needs/wants to move in another direction and the other must decide whether to follow or not. The overridding reason for following your partner should be a regard for their happiness and wellbeing above your own. I suppose you can argue she should stay in the UK because he "hates" various American mores. The ramifications are numerous and I'm not in the mood for intellectual masturbation around the idea of sex equality. Does he love her enough to take the plunge is still the one question he has to answer.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's understandable, but I did get fed up with it. It always underlines the fact that you're an outsider. .....
It's funny how two different people can interpret the same phenomenon. You hated living in the US and saw having people comment on the accent as an irritation, marking you as an outsider. Conversely, I love living here in the US, and see comments on my accent as showing interest and a positive thing. With only one isolated exception every comment or my accent and national origin has been delivered with a smile. .... I suppose you're going go tell me the smile and interest is "superficial"?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 30th 2014 at 7:03 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Professional employee or not there are few companies that will give you three weeks holidays in the first year. Very few.

10 days if you're lucky, and I've worked many professional jobs.
Two jobs in 10 years time and they both (one being a huge American corporation) give out 3 weeks vacation time sounds either extremely lucky (your words) or pretty close to the norm for the profession my husband is in.

Maybe you're in the wrong profession?
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's funny how two different people can interpret the same phenomenon. You hated living in the US and saw having people comment on the accent as an irritation, marking you as an outsider. Conversely, I love living here in the US, and see comments on my accent as showing interest and a positive thing. With only one isolated exception every comment or my accent and national origin has been delivered with a smile. .... I suppose you're going go tell me the smile and interest is superficial?
I don't mind people commenting on my accent...because I'm proud to be British.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't mind people commenting on my accent...because I'm proud to be British.
I would think it's a nice way to open a discussion with people you don't know. A positive rather than a negative. I suppose it's which way you take it.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I would think it's a nice way to open a discussion with people you don't know. A positive rather than a negative. I suppose it's which way you take it.
That's certainly how I find it. If I'd known how it was going to be I'd have found a way to be here, or at least be vacationing here, years before I met Mrs P.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe you're in the wrong profession?
My point is that in general long vacations are not the norm for an employee in the US. That is undeniable.

As to being in the wrong profession?

I own my own high tech company. It's brilliant

(I sell scientific research instrumentation to Universities and National Labs across the US and Canada.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Aug 30th 2014 at 7:21 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hotscot
My point is that in general long vacations are not the norm for an employee in the US. That is undeniable.

As to being in the wrong profession?

I own my own high tech company. It's brilliant

(I sell scientific research instrumentation to Universities and National Labs across the US and Canada.)

Then you must have wonderful vacation time!
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

It true that standard vacation time over here sucks compared to the UK.
But i have a heard of people getting weeks off every so many years to take a Sabbatical. I'm not sure if that was paid time off though.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
It true that standard vacation time over here sucks compared to the UK.
But i have a heard of people getting weeks off every so many years to take a Sabbatical. I'm not sure if that was paid time off though.
When I used to work for Adobe, (One of the companies with generous leave), we got a month paid leave after 5 years.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Then you must have wonderful vacation time!
I get to lie in till 6.30 am some mornings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.