Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to America despite hating it

Moving to America despite hating it

Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America despite hating it

Originally Posted by TMR
Excellent point about her UK citizenship but I doubt she's willing to wait that long. We don't have kids yet.
When is she eligible to apply? It's worth doing, because it's much harder to import a spouse to the UK these days, has been for a couple of years now.

Also, regarding work, I think NY is one of a couple states that will allow you to take the bar exam without having had to study here. Wouldn't be easy, obviously, but there is potential if you had niche skills/knowledge to get in on a large firm who might have UK dealings. Just something to consider.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Your mind sounds pretty made up based on very little evidence of what life is actually like here, and as someone else already said you're probably not going to enjoy the US if you have a closed mind.

Plenty of people on here who love the US also love Europe, and feel very European. It's possible to do both, but I think you've already decided it isn't.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

And BTW I love living in the US (well, the bit I live in) and I loathe Disney.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking of moving to the East Coast to be closer to the UK and Europe. And to get away from the crazy CA gubmint.

(After we spend two years by the beach in Orange County first.)

Would you recommend Maine?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:19 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
You talked about Newtown, and it's since then that I've wanted to leave the US. Why? Because of the reaction of so many Americans to the shooting of so many small children. The reaction wasn't "this is terrible, we need less guns here in the US", it was "the Government is going to take away my right to own an assault rifle so I need to go out and buy one now while I can".
This is a ridiculous and even offensive thing to say. A small (very small) minority of gun nuts may had had this reaction but the overwhelming response was one of shock, horror, grief and seeking to help. If you couldn't see that, I suggest that you're blinded by your own prejudice.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP ..... I think if you come with an open mind and ready to give life in the US a go, you may well find that it's not too bad after all. In my opinion it's people that make a country. You obviously don't have a problem getting along with Americans as you've married one. Me, I've been here 14 years, came over full of hope and excitement looking forward to enjoying all that the US had to offer, only to find that I couldn't get along with the people. Try as I might to fit in I just couldn't, so now I can't wait to move back to the UK and back to the many friends I left behind. Good luck to you
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:50 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on several of those things, and I've been living here 15 years or so. I'd like to move back to the UK for a few reasons, two of which are the health care/insurance system here and also the gun culture. With regard to guns, it's not that I'm afraid of people shooting me - I never see guns being carried around and have only witnessed one shooting incident (although that's too much) despite being in a State that is very conservative and gun loving. You talked about Newtown, and it's since then that I've wanted to leave the US. Why? Because of the reaction of so many Americans to the shooting of so many small children. The reaction wasn't "this is terrible, we need less guns here in the US", it was "the Government is going to take away my right to own an assault rifle so I need to go out and buy one now while I can". So while I'm not exposed to guns on a daily basis, I don't like the idea of living in a country where that attitude exists.

The health care issue is a complicated one. Basically, if you're earning enough to afford great health insurance, or are given it by your employer, then its no big deal and you'll get great service from the medical professions. But if you have no insurance or even average insurance, you can expect to be out of pocket by thousands of dollars even for minor medical issues.

Having said that, if you do come to the US, I would just treat it as a big adventure. So many Europeans say that the US has no culture or history, which is complete BS. Firstly, it ignores thousands of years of Native American culture and history. Secondly, the contribution to the world by the US in terms of music, art, film, writing and so on is immense. And NYC would be about the best place in America to immerse yourself in those things. If you end up living here, just make sure you find some nice liberal friends that you can have some good moans to about the crazy right wing regressives. I was doing it this morning (in relation to the 9 year old and the uzi incident), and its good to blow off some steam. And with regard to travelling, there are some spectacular places to see in this country, and you're much closer to Central and South America and the Caribbean.
Idaho's murder rate by gun or any means is one of the lowest in the US.

Lower than very blue Oregon or Washington.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes, but you have to prove that you make a certain amount of money. If you don't have a job you're going to, this all involves time.

Just a lot more complicated now and much easier if she has her UK citizenship, should they ever want to go back.
Gotcha, I was slightly confused is all.....

Sounds like Canada is pretty easy to get a spouse into compared to the US and UK....
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Gotcha, I was slightly confused is all.....

Sounds like Canada is pretty easy to get a spouse into compared to the US and UK....
The UK used to be very easy until they tightened things up.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of interesting responses for the OP to consider.

I lived in London for 6 years before coming here, and adored it. I was then (and still am now) a liberal, and disliked US politics and - especially - US foreign policy. Reagan was president when I arrived - not someone I admired. I don't like guns and don't like the US attitude towards them. I don't like the healthcare system here (although I've always had fantastic coverage through work, and I strongly welcome 'Obamacare' and think it is a huge step in the right direction).

But I love it here and have recently passed the 30 year mark. Wild horses would not drag me back. I think I've been to Disneyland once, when family from UK visited with kids - an ok event but not exactly a highlight of living here.

You can jump on a plane and go to Europe cheaply and quickly, if you so desire - especially from NYC. But that's not where I would put my energies. This is a vast continent with many attractions. I'm west-coast-centric, and can't talk to the east-coast attractions specifically, but out west you have Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and more beautiful national parks in Utah alone than I can count. The US has had more history in the past few hundred years than Europe - man on the moon; exploration and development of the west; the gold rush; Martin Luther King; etc. And then there is technology ... is there a UK version of Google? eBay? Intel? Apple? Amazon? Tesla? Cisco? Oracle?

Most significantly, though, it comes down to the people and the work environments (for me). I have found the people here to be simply more enjoyable, and the work environments to be more challenging. Your enjoyment will come down to whether you enjoy the people or not. Hopefully your wife is a good start

Perhaps even more significantly, I wanted to come here, and it was my choice; I got a job offer in Silicon Valley and it was a dream come true. If you are a reluctant, drag-along spouse, the cards are stacked against you big time.

Interesting times ahead for you ...
Old Aug 29th 2014, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is a ridiculous and even offensive thing to say. A small (very small) minority of gun nuts may had had this reaction but the overwhelming response was one of shock, horror, grief and seeking to help. If you couldn't see that, I suggest that you're blinded by your own prejudice.
How come the gun nuts are dictating policy then if no-one else agrees with them?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:11 am
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How come the gun nuts are dictating policy then if no-one else agrees with them?
Exactly. The size of the NRA lobby has real impact, just as the Irish-American lobby encouraged the US to grant political asylum to murderers during the Troubles.

What surprises me more is that the debate about a total ban just never seems to come up. Nutmegger mentioned Dunblane - just look at how the UK reacted to that with widespread public support. Would something that sane ever happen in the US?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
Exactly. The size of the NRA lobby has real impact, just as the Irish-American lobby encouraged the US to grant political asylum to murderers during the Troubles.

What surprises me more is that the debate about a total ban just never seems to come up. Nutmegger mentioned Dunblane - just look at how the UK reacted to that with widespread public support. Would something that sane ever happen in the US?
There seems to be very little desire to address any social problems.Personally I found that frustrating, but you have to get into the 'it is what it is' mindset if you're going to make it over there.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:20 am
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

And with regard to travelling, there are some spectacular places to see in this country, and you're much closer to Central and South America and the Caribbean.
True and I spent an enjoyable gap year backpacking around that region. Never been to the Caribbean except Cuba. Speaking of which.. how dumb is it that America effectively bans its own citizens from travelling there? That and the gun issue give further evidence of the sclerotic nature of US politics, ridiculously beholden to large lobbying groups.

I wonder how most of you put up with so much stupid.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TMR
True and I spent an enjoyable gap year backpacking around that region. Never been to the Caribbean except Cuba. Speaking of which.. how dumb is it that America effectively bans its own citizens from travelling there? That and the gun issue give further evidence of the sclerotic nature of US politics, ridiculously beholden to large lobbying groups.

I wonder how most of you put up with so much stupid.
Cuba and Israel - pathetic kow-towing to lobbies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.