Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to America despite hating it

Moving to America despite hating it

Old Aug 31st 2014, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America despite hating it

Tell her you will compromise by taking a job in a country near the USA. I recommend Cuba.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

First of all TMR:

Whew!...... because:

1) Relieved you took what I offered in the spirit it was intended. People can often be hyper-touchy if one ventures into the realm of the personal.
2) You had the grace to reply. I never cease being dismayed at how many people come to post here seeking help and then never even bother to return to acknowledge the replies they receive, or the time and effort it has taken to try to help them.
So a big thanks TMR, for your thanks!

With regard to what you say…..

Originally Posted by TMR
MMcD, I appreciate your insight. You articulated much of what has been going through my mind and our marriage is something I have to consider.
More than “something”…it’s probably the most important thing, isn't it?
It’s WHY you’d be making this move in the first place.
But then, what does “considering” your marriage really entail?
Seems to me it should involve considering yourself and your wife as both separate entities, as well as… as a couple.
And then a consideration of equities and trade-offs……

Originally Posted by TMR
Fact is she has lived here for me without argument, not wishing to reciprocate when she would like to return bothers me.
But should “reciprocating” require divesting yourself of your profession?
I find that troubling.
Would you even be dreaming of turning your back on something to which you've been committed for the last 15 (?) years (practically 1/2 your lifetime) were you not in this marriage? That’s not to imply you’re bonded to this profession. But to have to turn your back on it? Your wife wasn’t required to give her profession up in Britain, was she? In fact, it was her very profession which brought her to the UK in the first place.

And does "reciprocating" involve your wife's relinquishment of the time she's amassed toward being able to obtain British citizenship - thereby complicating a future return to Great Britain?

Originally Posted by TMR
Career-wise I'm willing to test the job market there, fortunately she earns a good enough wage that we could survive on until I'm in work. I'm 34 and 8 years' qualified as a solicitor.
That sounds a sensible plan.

Or maybe this (?)……
Taking the New York Bar as a Foreign Lawyer | Study Law in the US

THE NYS BAR EXAM

Just a thought for the “back burner” if the job market “test” result turns out not to be as positive as you’d like.

Originally Posted by TMR
She works for a US investment bank (senior financial analyst) and has an opportunity to move up in her career back in NYC. She also misses the city and her friends.
….which gives me an opportunity to end on a positive note
Wonderful people (and your wife is obviously wonderful for you) have wonderful people as friends. Like minded, great people with similar outlooks. And so you should find yourself readily embraced by a community in which you’ll feel comfortable and “at home” - even tho it’s in maybe-not-so-bad-after-all America.

So.....C'mon in......the waters fine
Old Aug 31st 2014, 10:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, I know, but from what said both he (Bob) in the tech industry, and Mrs Bob, in banking, are both reporting $4!tty holiday allowances, hence my suggestion that it might be regional, rather than industry specific.
The missus said it did used to be very good, but where she is, they changed it up a few years ago and reduced it right down, but grandfathered it in for everyone that had worked more than a year at the place.

She's got more than 28 days....but it's all meaningless as she can only bank a small amount and it's use or lose and she's never able to use the whole amount due to staffing issues.

Me, I get as much time off as I want, but then it's not paid.

As for the regional comment, yes, it is regional. My friends out in CA area get much better benefits and allowances than friends in and around the north east, for the tech/science industry. Pay too....but it's balanced out by much higher cost of living out there for a family home, so a lot of young folks like heading there for the money, but a lot of the more senior folks seem to like moving back for family reasons.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 31st 2014 at 10:16 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
I just come with extra baggage of not liking the destination all that much. In my student days I dismissed America as a warmongering, greedy country full of stupidity, and never thought to challenge those preconceptions since. ...
As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I was a die-hard liberal back in my student days in London, and really disliked US foreign policy, and was generally pre-disposed to 'hate' the place. But then I went to San Francisco on vacation, and that changed everything. I found San Francisco to be a hotbed of anti-establishment feeling, which made me feel very comfortable there. I believe that politically, New York City has somewhat similar leanings (look at who they just voted in as mayor). Even back in the 70s, San Francisco residents were engaged in recycling, 'natural' foods were available, there were 'head' shops selling drug paraphernalia ... and then I discovered that 'Silicon Valley' was just a heartbeat away, 50 miles to the south ... so I was sold.

For you, the career issue could be a big challenge ... for me, the job was almost everything.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've worked in the tech industry in the US for over 23 years, as have multiple friends of mine. Most of us have job hopped over the years, but I'd say the average vacation allowance is probably 15 days a year (plus holidays). A few people I know get 20, a few 10.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Was thinking of moving to the East Coast to be closer to the UK and Europe. And to get away from the crazy CA gubmint.

(After we spend two years by the beach in Orange County first.)

Would you recommend Maine?
Sorry - only just come back to this thread. I would say basically everything Bob said already :-)

I think Portland is a fabulous little city. If you like big cities then Maine is not for you. Also you must be able to cope with a lot of snow and cold (we cope by skiing and snowshoeing at weekends). The summers make up for it IMO...
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 12:16 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We're not talking about banks, we're talking about the tech industry. Have no idea about banks.
The (v large) bank I work for give 20 days from the get go, with 12 sick days and 2 personal days, and 8 bank holidays. It doesn't rise above the 20 days until many years service (think 15 to 20 can't remember).

My husband works for a an IT company (service supplier and hardware manufacturer) and gets similar.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
The (v large) bank I work for give 20 days from the get go, with 12 sick days and 2 personal days, and 8 bank holidays. It doesn't rise above the 20 days until many years service (think 15 to 20 can't remember).

My husband works for a an IT company (service supplier and hardware manufacturer) and gets similar.
I would think most professionals get similar.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui

Are you sure you guys don't work for Myth Busters? It's simply not allowed to dispel the stereotype of crap vacation allowance in the US!
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I would think most professionals get similar.
Suppose it depends on how professional is defined as well. In the US just way to many variables involved when it comes to time off to really get an accurate estimate.

For every person who gets 10-15 days off, there is another who gets none or very little. Great for those who manage to get time off, not so great for those who don't.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

In my last job I started on 23 days PTO, then went up to 28. If I'd stayed 10 years I'd have got 33 days. I've had two previous jobs in the US (Seattle, high tech) and had 25 days PTO in both.

OTOH I recently turned down an interview with another similar local company because they were only offering 15 days.

Husband started on 20 days and now gets 25.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Working in the UK office of a medium sized silicon valley company I get 20 days PTO + 1day per year for first 10 years. Which is pretty poor by Brit standards, but when I queried it during the job offer stage was told that it was a common benefits package worldwide.

Its a globalized economy..
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

In general vacation entitlement is relatively low.
There are many professionals who work in small to mid range high tech companies all across the US who start on a 10 days a year. And I'm talking about employees who are required to have advanced technical degrees, who work in leading edge companies and can't afford to have their most competent employees take too much time off as many projects are time critical.

In fact I'd estimate that that is the norm.

And I have experience with many high tech professional companies.

(Larger companies and/or certain sectors may differ but those are not the norm.)

This article lays it out fairly well.

https://suite.io/elaine-mink/4n1b2r0

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 2nd 2014 at 4:11 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 12:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
The problem is, I can't stand America. The politics are messed up, even pre-9/11 (I remember when NYC renamed a street corner after a convicted IRA killer) and the lack of universal healthcare and gun control sickens me. I love Europe's rich history. The idea of spending my reduced vacation allowance in eg Florida rather than France or Italy holds no appeal.
You appear to have a complete misunderstanding of America, I have to say. New York had restrictive gun laws before the UK did. The State gun laws in New York are very strict and the city laws are even stricter. In many ways more restrictive than British laws. And in any event, not as big of a deal as you might think from watching the BBC in the UK.

Healthcare is a bit more of an issue but this depends on how ill you are, from the sounds of it your wife will have a top rate employer paid for plan so I wouldn't worry about it.

America has a rich history too although I agree there aren't castles everywhere. And nothing is stopping you from visiting Europe. Plenty of places to visit pretty close to NYC as well that are decent, e.g. Montréal is not that far away. Québec City, Niagara Falls and so on.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 12:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
I'm 34 and 8 years' qualified as a solicitor.
That's your actual problem right there, because British legal qualifications aren't worth anything in the US as the legal system is considerably different. Unless you can find a company that does a lot of business in the UK or Bermuda or something like that. There is a transition course you can do for Canada, ask Almost Canadian, he's the expert on that subject, but once again, you'd need a job dealing with Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.