Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have a NAS mirrored to a second NAS , which then automatically uploads to crashplan. Then I have my USB drives , plus dropbox.
Originally Posted by mproudfoot
That's dedication!

I have a QNAP NAS set up with remote replication to another QNAP back in my UK home (which my stepdaughter & family are now living in) plus a 4TB drive that gets stored in a fire/flood resistant safe box between backups. nearly 8 years of RAW images and I'm around 1.5TB in so far.
I'm in the market for a NAS solution, and want to do site-to-site replication. I have no interest in media serving, iTunes, DLNA, etc - I just want a fast NAS that can do SMB with replication features. Is QNAP the best choice? I have supported a Netgear NAS in the past and hated it (constant problems), and I'm currently working with a client's Buffalo NAS, and it's limited in features.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The Boys Are Back!!

Yes, the Grand Tour is awesome, but no, it's not perfection. However, they show had to reinvent itself and while most of it worked, some parts didn't quite hit the sweet spot.

Quite simply, the film sequences and any other part where the guys interact with each other were great, but some parts like the edited fight and the dying celebs didn't quite work, IMHO. I'm sure if they were limited to making a show that needs to fit into an hour's TV slot, those scenes would have been shorter or even cut completely.

Having said that, it really does prove that Top Gear really was Clarkson, Hammond and May (as anyone who tried to watch TG:USA already knew!).

Long live the Grand Tour and roll on next Thursday at 7pm!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm in the market for a NAS solution, and want to do site-to-site replication. I have no interest in media serving, iTunes, DLNA, etc - I just want a fast NAS that can do SMB with replication features. Is QNAP the best choice? I have supported a Netgear NAS in the past and hated it (constant problems), and I'm currently working with a client's Buffalo NAS, and it's limited in features.
Buffalo NAS is easy to setup for site to site replication, it's a standard feature. There are no subscription costs. My WD NAS allows me to run crashplan on the NAS box. Both are 1 GB ethernet. The Buffalo was easier to setup for jumbo frames.

I don't have any experience with QNAS
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The Boys Are Back!!

Yes, the Grand Tour is awesome, but no, it's not perfection. However, they show had to reinvent itself and while most of it worked, some parts didn't quite hit the sweet spot.

Quite simply, the film sequences and any other part where the guys interact with each other were great, but some parts like the edited fight and the dying celebs didn't quite work, IMHO. I'm sure if they were limited to making a show that needs to fit into an hour's TV slot, those scenes would have been shorter or even cut completely.

Having said that, it really does prove that Top Gear really was Clarkson, Hammond and May (as anyone who tried to watch TG:USA already knew!).

Long live the Grand Tour and roll on next Thursday at 7pm!
Just signing up to Prime again. Couldn't resist the offer for $80 a year.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Just signing up to Prime again. Couldn't resist the offer for $80 a year.
I was just about to post in here for anyone interested that I got an Amazon update saying Prime is on offer for $79.00 right now.

Was that fortuitous timing for them, or what ...

But anyway, I'm so The Grand Tour is the show I always knew it would be. If anyone needs proof that post-2001 Top Gear was these three, they need look no further.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I was just about to post in here for anyone interested that I got an Amazon update saying Prime is on offer for $79.00 right now.

Was that fortuitous timing for them, or what ...

But anyway, I'm so pleased (?)The Grand Tour is the show I always knew it would be. If anyone needs proof that post-2001 Top Gear was these three, they need look no further.
Plus Wilman, and by all accounts a horde of other people who left the Beeb to join them.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 18th 2016 at 4:31 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Plus Wilman, and by all accounts a hord of other people who left the Beeb to join them.
Where did you find my word? I was looking all over for that.

Thanks for misspelling 'horde' in your own post to make me feel better, too.

But yes, I was remiss in forgetting Wilman and the rest of the team. A most welcome return to TV either way.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you find my word? I was looking all over for that. .....
It was under the table, covered in fluff.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:34 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't know how I managed to do that, usually I read my posts before submitting
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Those dust bunnies get everywhere
Old Nov 19th 2016, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Buffalo NAS is easy to setup for site to site replication, it's a standard feature. There are no subscription costs. My WD NAS allows me to run crashplan on the NAS box. Both are 1 GB ethernet. The Buffalo was easier to setup for jumbo frames.

I don't have any experience with QNAS
I bought a couple of Buffalo NAS devices already to get started, but the cheaper 'Linkstation' line does not support replication; you have to get their more expensive 'Terrastation' line. I may return the current items and get the Terrastations, but I figured I may try something else. The Terrastations also, supposedly, support encryption of data at rest.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:08 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

But anyway, I'm so The Grand Tour is the show I always knew it would be. If anyone needs proof that post-2001 Top Gear was these three, they need look no further.
I liked it apart from the bit in the tent, which all felt a bit forced and American_Talk_Show (all of which I hate).

The 3 guys are still great together, as I knew they would be.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
I liked it apart from the bit in the tent, which all felt a bit forced and American_Talk_Show (all of which I hate).

Yeah, the bit in the tent was a bit lame, and was a poor attempt to hide the fact that they hadn't been able to find a celebrity to interview.

BTW has anybody checked on the current condition of Clarkson's house? I thought his "you can demolish my house" quip was a bit odd. Well it turns out he did in fact demolish his house, last September. I presume at some point we will see it being blown up on The Grand Tour.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 21st 2016 at 12:23 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek

That'll tighten up as they get used to the new format.

The three of them hamming it up in a tent is much better than them not having a show at all

BTW has anybody checked on the current condition of Clarkson's house? I thought his "you can demolish my house" quip was a bit odd. Well it turns out he did in fact demolish his house, last September. I presume at some point we will see it being blown up on The Grand Tour.
From what I can tell, he was going to do it anyway but they added it into the new show as a bet, presumably so they can do a different joke than the 'call me Jennifer' one that would be associated with old, but not as old as really old, Top Gear.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping they introduce Sacked Stig as a regular

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.