Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Bob
No, she was driving by, on the road. Nothing complicated about this. Other person just drove straight out into the road without looking and hit her. ....
I'm sorry, I still don't see how anyone driving at "normal speed" could be hit by a car backing out of a driveway. Either the car was backed out at very high speed, or the car in the road was driving slowly (and the driver was oblivious), or the road was extremely narrow with poor lines of sight for both drivers, little more than an alley with high fences.

I pass houses every day with cars backing out, or preparing to back out, and I doubt they could hit me no matter how careless they were, unless it was one of those crazy "stand on the gas and panic" incidents, so very high speed.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 2:08 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sorry, I still don't see how anyone driving at "normal speed" could be hit by a car backing out of a driveway. Either the car was backed out at very high speed, or the car in the road was driving slowly (and the driver was oblivious), or the road was extremely narrow with poor lines of sight for both drivers, little more than an alley with high fences.

I pass houses every day with cars backing out, or preparing to back out, and I doubt they could hit me no matter how careless they were, unless it was one of those crazy "stand on the gas and panic" incidents, so very high speed.
Yeah, even on my street, which has a huge hill and dip that blocks the line of sight for a few driveways, you'd have to be trying really hard to be hit by a car backing out.

I mean, there have been a few oblivious drivers I've seen backing out but that usually provokes a "this idiot isn't going to stop, so I will" response.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You guys need to stream the two seasons of Canada's Worst Driver on Netflix. Trust me, it'll give you a whole new perspective of what's actually out there and behind the wheel!
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Almost as laughable as my wife deciding to take my truck out for a drive and managing to curb one of the wheels somehow?!?!

They've got the biggest profile of tyre (Tire?!) I've ever seen yet she's somehow managed to absolutely bollocks one of the alloys up.

She can stick to her Civic Hybrid! Haha
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Almost as laughable as my wife deciding to take my truck out for a drive and managing to curb one of the wheels somehow?!?!

They've got the biggest profile of tyre (Tire?!) I've ever seen yet she's somehow managed to absolutely bollocks one of the alloys up.

She can stick to her Civic Hybrid! Haha
You allowed your wife to drive your truck?
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

You allowed your wife to drive your truck?
I think it was more the fact her car was out of gas and mine had a full tank, and I would've ended up being the one to go out in the cold to fill it up anyway!! 😂
Old Feb 9th 2017, 6:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't there...but my guess is, judging by where she was hit, that the person just pulled out as she was driving past.

It is very possible to get hit by shit drivers, because they're shit drivers.

It's not like there's much room to swerve around someone in a side street block here and there's no reason to even swerve around someone if they're still in the drive as you go past as you aren't expecting them to not stop and not gun it hard at the end of the drive to get over the snow bank without at least first looking.

I almost got hit on the walk home yesterday by someone who just gunned it out of their drive to avoid getting stuck on the bank and they weren't even backing out.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to someone who after 2 years of driving, just figured out how to use his headlights

These are the people who are out there...
Old Feb 13th 2017, 10:01 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen Diesel has now gone back to VW. We are now the proud owners of a
. In our desire for a reliable station wagon type vehicle, we now own a certified [recently off lease] Toyota RAV4 Limited. Doesn't have diesel mileage, but not bad.

The car has the warning for lane change and backing up for approaching cars.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Some nob has already opened a car door into the side of my shiny car.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by tom169
Sorry to hear that.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that.
Oh it's fine. It was bound to happen at some point.

In other news, the DMV didn't wait a second to send me a property tax bill - along with an extra $30 for being in Charlotte.

I wish the USCIS had the same go-quick ethos.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:39 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Always park in the spaces farther from the door. The kind of person who is willing to walk the extra distance to get into the shop is not the kind of peasant who swings open their doors with reckless abandon
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Always park in the spaces farther from the door. The kind of person who is willing to walk the extra distance to get into the shop is not the kind of peasant who swings open their doors with reckless abandon
Agreed. I usually look for a space that is one of at least two adjacent unoccupied spaces - then park within the space but offset to the open side.

It is more of a problem with my truck which is much wider than a car and also longer than pretty much any car, SUV, or minivan, so backing into a space and overhanging the landscaping is often my approach.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:49 am
I have a comma problem

Agreed. I usually look for a space that is one of at least two adjacent unoccupied spaces - then park within the space but offset to the open side.

It is more of a problem with my truck which is much wider than a car and also longer than pretty much any car, SUV, or minivan, so backing into a space and overhanging the landscaping is often my approach.
I do it because my fat arse needs to walk more, but not being around potential causes of damage is a nice bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.