Old Feb 1st 2018, 3:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Karma

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What does sheep poo taste like?
Swiss Bisto.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Swiss Bisto.
There are enough circular arguments in the Post EU thread in TIO thank you very much
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
There are enough circular arguments in the Post EU thread in TIO thank you very much
There's an old android saying that goes "If you don't gosub a program loop, you'll never get a subroutine".

/Kryten
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:12 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

What does sheep poo taste like?
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Swiss Bisto.
It's like rabbit poo, with slightly more attitude.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You said you preferred it with "just onions", but then described cooking livers dredged in flour, with onions, beef broth, and then stirring to get "the bits off the bottom"; presumably a little of the flour also gets into the mix. .... So I suspect that the "liver and onions in gravy" is similar to the "liver with just onions" that you described - not the same, but more similar than you appeared to realize.

I only used "disparage" as a paraphrase of you saying that you preferred something else, something else which is actually fairly similar.
For ourselves, I would add additional flour to the drippings after the onions were cooked and then add beef broth and make a thick gravy. And yes, the bits and pieces is the flour stuck to the bottom of the pan and is used to thicken the broth. Addition of more flour before adding the broth will make thicker gravy which is a must have for the mashed potatoes.

I just do not like bacon with my liver. I only eat bacon with breakfast or on a BLT or on a spinach salad. I don't use bacon in any recipe for dinner.

TRUCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
For ourselves, I would add additional flour to the drippings after the onions were cooked and then add beef broth and make a thick gravy. And yes, the bits and pieces is the flour stuck to the bottom of the pan and is used to thicken the broth. Addition of more flour before adding the broth will make thicker gravy which is a must have for the mashed potatoes. ....
So that really is the same as the liver and onions in gravy described above, ... except for the bacon.
.... TRUCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wasn't fighting.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2018 at 7:02 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I just do not like bacon with my liver.
It makes perfect sense that you could fry your bacon and reserve it for a sandwich and still have the fat to cook the liver and onions in. It's all a matter of taste, like the gravy thing.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:51 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I lucked out on the liver hunt - left it too late, the market closes early on Saturday.

But that got me thinking about boudin. I suppose this would translate as black pudding, but these things are poles apart (ha ha). Can't really even compare them to German blood sausages. Boiled boudin (they can be roasted, but this opens up a Blur/Oasis style debate), mashed potatoes, served with apple sauce/compote is absolutely yummy. No bacon in sight.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 9:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In America boudin is Cajun sausage.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 10:22 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by caretaker
Didn't know that, thanks.

Is it generally available and is it generally accepted in USA?
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
More specifically Cajun Boudin — there are other Cajun sausages, such as Andouille.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:13 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
More specifically Cajun Boudin — there are other Cajun sausages, such as Andouille.
That'll be the cousin of the French thing then? Packed with offal?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
That'll be the cousin of the French thing then? Packed with offal?
Ssshhhh. We don't talk about that. To ridiculously picky child on holiday it is just sausages. You like sausages .
Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:06 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Ssshhhh. We don't talk about that. To ridiculously picky child on holiday it is just sausages. You like sausages .
Oops, right, mum's the word.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 3:15 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
I lucked out on the liver hunt - left it too late, the market closes early on Saturday.
I just lucked in on the liver hunt, yay!

Now to find a good recipe to start me off, I'm looking at the Hairy Bikers as maybe a base, although...

For ourselves, I would add additional flour to the drippings after the onions were cooked and then add beef broth and make a thick gravy. And yes, the bits and pieces is the flour stuck to the bottom of the pan and is used to thicken the broth. Addition of more flour before adding the broth will make thicker gravy which is a must have for the mashed potatoes.

I just do not like bacon with my liver. I only eat bacon with breakfast or on a BLT or on a spinach salad. I don't use bacon in any recipe for dinner.
... apart from the non bacon bit. What's drawing me in here is the thick gravy to complement the mash. Agreed, must have.

Bacon here - lard, en francais - would be like 'bacon lite', very different to UK bacon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.