Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Texas and soon back to normality in the UK!!!!Yeh!!!!!
dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice
Default Re: Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I hope he gets home on time for you!

I wonder if any airline experts can comment, If all the flights are up and running as normal within the next couple of days are those passengers already booked (liked Rebs hubby on Friday) going to be able to fly on the flights they are booked on, or will the stranded people be given priority and others forced to wait?

Ok, that was as clear as mud

I'm due to fly out on Friday, and rang US Airways to see, who told me that if the airports were to open everyone would go on their scheduled flights.

I wonder how much airfares will increase by after this......
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dottypotty
I wonder how much airfares will increase by after this......
The sky is the limit......oops! sorry, but couldn't resist
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:45 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I think it's an insurance fiddle, first they go bankrupt then they set fire to the place
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice

Changing the subject entirely.....Really love the name, reminds of home
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:03 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see some responsible journalism about the whole thing...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ll-daily-star#
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, it was actually given to me by an American friend!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Thydney
I think it's an insurance fiddle, first they go bankrupt then they set fire to the place
A lot of it about!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:24 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

I was due to fly back to New York (JFK) on Monday night (Singapore Airlines from Singapore via Frankfurt) but my flight was cancelled. My husband was due to fly 2 hours later from SIN to Zurich and that was also cancelled.

He is a very frequent flyer and therefore has elite status with SIA, so they sent him a text to say his flight was cancelled. I heard nothing, only the info from their website. He was able to get through to a rep fairly quickly and they could only waitlist him to fly to Zurich on Saturday 24th....had no information for me lol!

I resigned myself to staying on in Singapore until the end of the week, so on Monday morning trotted off to meet the other expat wives for a coffee morning and lunch, then decided to stroll down to the airline office as I knew I'd be in there all afternoon. On the way there I fished out my phone from the bottom of my bag - it had 7 messages on it from my spouse....he'd persuaded Singapore Airlines to fly me back to NY via the Pacific and I was flying that evening... Unfortunately it wasn't on their business-class only flight direct to Newark (15 mins from my house!) as I only travel in cattle class, but they'd endorsed my ticket to fly on their new A380 to Narita, Tokyo and then changing airlines to ANA from Tokyo to JFK.

I arrived at Terminal 7 at JFK which is owned by British Airways...one of their planes was parked at the gate and there were still no flights to/from NY yesterday and the terminal was very quiet.

My Aussie friends in New Jersey have had English visitors on a very extended stay....they should originally flown back to London last Saturday and have only just been confirmed to fly there a full week later! My husband also now has a confirmed seat to fly to Zurich on Saturday.....but still can't get a confirmed seat for when he needs to fly to London a few days later.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Nice to see some responsible journalism about the whole thing...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ll-daily-star#
Rather sensational but I have some concerns myself about the safey of these flights. The Star is a rubbish newspaper but is it right for the airports to ban it?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:29 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I hope he gets home on time for you!

I wonder if any airline experts can comment, If all the flights are up and running as normal within the next couple of days are those passengers already booked (liked Rebs hubby on Friday) going to be able to fly on the flights they are booked on, or will the stranded people be given priority and others forced to wait?

Ok, that was as clear as mud
Well, this airline won't accept new bookings for travel to Europe, but it seems that stranded passengers are given priority for any spare seats:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/index.jsp
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:28 am
Just Joined

MJO61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my British friends lucked out. Their flight from Savannah, Ga to Gatwick today, via Atlanta is going out on time. If the flight had been delayed one more day, they would have had to go on stand bye.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of a girl I once knew.

Back on thread, sister in law flying back to LHR today on AA78. First flight of AA78 for 5 days.

Last edited by Zonie; Apr 21st 2010 at 9:42 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Zonie;8512835]Reminds me of a girl I once knew.QUOTE]

Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zonie
Reminds me of a girl I once knew.

Back on thread, sister in law flying back to LHR today on AA78. First flight of AA78 for 5 days.
Just the one girl???!!!!

I'm due to fly out on Friday, paniking now with packing as I was convinced I wouldn't be leaving and relaxed a little over the weekend.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MJO61
Well my British friends lucked out. Their flight from Savannah, Ga to Gatwick today, via Atlanta is going out on time. If the flight had been delayed one more day, they would have had to go on stand bye.
We SHOULD have been the same. Supposed to be flying Houston-London yesterday afternoon, I left it as long as possible before I decided to pop down to the airport on Tuesday afternoon to rearrange our trip to May 2nd.

Got back home to see that the UK had decided to reopen all its airports. The flight departed and arrived on time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.