Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Originally Posted by Thydney
Is anyone else disapointed that its been 30 years since Chernobyl and still we've not got any superheroes
We have you and Ray!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:28 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thydney
Is anyone else disapointed that its been 30 years since Chernobyl and still we've not got any superheroes
Now that's a very good point!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Feargal is an unknown quantity at this point

No end to the ash in sight - the volcano is still spewing:

Main hope has to be the test flights continue to go well and permission is granted for flights to return to normal...

Last edited by meauxna; Apr 20th 2010 at 4:29 am. Reason: bit of early days to promote your site; please review the site rules
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't seem to be much progress today.

'Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Newcastle are due to stay open until 7pm tonight but Glasgow and Belfast have closed again after being open for a short time this morning.' All the other UK airports are closed.

BA have cancelled all their short haul flights today.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:20 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Morning breaks in London with a strange, exhilarating silence: Gone is the constant low hum of two dozen jetliners overhead, the scores of vapour trails etched in the sky.

Gone, too, are couriers, tourists, fresh fruit. The silent city sounds and feels like a village, bathed in sunlight and frozen in stillness. The air tastes sweet, and the sky is perfectly clear and crystalline for the first time in a decade.

You realize, as never before, that you live on an island.

full article
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC is reporting that all UK airports can reopen from 2200 BST today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8633597.stm

Hopefully, people can start to get to where they need to be - good luck, everyone

My husband is currently in Dorset and is due to fly back here on Friday, so we'll see how things pan out
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I want this to stop now. I'm due to go to the US between now and Christmas!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs

Hopefully, people can start to get to where they need to be - good luck, everyone

My husband is currently in Dorset and is due to fly back here on Friday, so we'll see how things pan out
I hope he gets home on time for you!

I wonder if any airline experts can comment, If all the flights are up and running as normal within the next couple of days are those passengers already booked (liked Rebs hubby on Friday) going to be able to fly on the flights they are booked on, or will the stranded people be given priority and others forced to wait?

Ok, that was as clear as mud
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I hope he gets home on time for you!

I wonder if any airline experts can comment, If all the flights are up and running as normal within the next couple of days are those passengers already booked (liked Rebs hubby on Friday) going to be able to fly on the flights they are booked on, or will the stranded people be given priority and others forced to wait?

Ok, that was as clear as mud
Hmmm, good question... I thought I read somewhere (can't find it now though, or I could be wrong ..) that if you've got a confirmed flight and the flight goes ahead you should be ok.

Once your flight is cancelled your in the queue to get on another flight (using up spaces, I guess). However, I think your place in the queue is based on a combination of the fare code for your ticket and your status with the airlines frequent flyer program - so top status and fully flexible first class ticket is going to get you ahead of a restricted economy ticket with no status.

That's how I understand it, but I'm sure an expert will be along soon!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, rebs you're right at least that is what US Airways told me today. I have a flight out of London on Thursday but it will be dependant on getting the plane and crew in the right place.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Yes, rebs you're right at least that is what US Airways told me today. I have a flight out of London on Thursday but it will be dependant on getting the plane and crew in the right place.
it all goes to plan...
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I hope everyone can get where they're going - but I don't want my husband to get his flight to Prague and get stuck over there
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Just listening to NPR, their airline guy said,
" Those who are booked for say, Thursday, will most likely be able to fly as they had planned. Those whose flights were cancelled will have to wait in line"

Or something like that.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I hope everyone can get where they're going - but I don't want my husband to get his flight to Prague and get stuck over there
Oooh, it is a worry isn't it? I was going to say 'can he delay', but really, what would you delay until? I guess this could happen at any time...

I'm hoping my husband doesn't have any more trips back to the UK at least until the volcano has stopped erupted this time - at least that would be something...
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, it is a worry isn't it? I was going to say 'can he delay', but really, what would you delay until? I guess this could happen at any time...

I'm hoping my husband doesn't have any more trips back to the UK at least until the volcano has stopped erupted this time - at least that would be something...
He is going to an international meeting which is sure to be disrupted anyway - but now I'm wondering if he doesn't go he'll still have to pay for the ticket.

I hope yours doesn't have to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.