Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

I hope that rumour isn't true...

Anyway, I'm about to call Virgin and see if they're willing to postpone my flight by a few days. Fortunately the people at the company I'm supposed to interview at are very understanding and would be able to postpone the interview by a week.

The nasty part about all of this is that I absolutely have to get to the US before May 15th as that's when my IR-1 expires...

Stressed? Moi?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The following is a map of the closed airports and airline traffic over Europe Friday night. Blue are the closed airports and yellow are the aircraft that was in the air Friday night.

Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:13 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know how long we're going to stand for this! Those damn Icelanders with their geysers and their Bjork - and now this! It's enough to make you spit! :curse:

They've got it coming,. that's all I can say....
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

They might have it coming but they know we can't come over until someone puts a cork into that Volcano .
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

No one has yet explained to me why the flights cannot be rerouted through Irish airspace routes because they could have done that on Thursday.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

That'll be the Irish airspace that's also closed?

Pretty much all of Northern Europe is closed, you have to go pretty far South to find an open airport.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
That'll be the Irish airspace that's also closed?

Pretty much all of Northern Europe is closed, you have to go pretty far South to find an open airport.
I guess my point was on Thursday and Friday it wasnt...
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:53 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Oddly enough I'm watching (British) Sky News and they have a reporter and cameraman in Iceland giving updates and latest pictures of the volcano. He flew in from the USA....the main airport is open to planes flying eastbound as the ash is blowing in another direction.

I might be stuck here in Singapore for an extra day or so as my flight back to JFK on Monday night (12 hrs ahead of ET) transits in Frankfurt. Spouse flies to Zurich 2 hours later but that airport is also currently closed. I'm just going to relax, lah!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
No one has yet explained to me why the flights cannot be rerouted through Irish airspace routes because they could have done that on Thursday.
According to a news report I saw on thursday Irish airspace was closed also.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Got a mate who was supposed to be getting married tomorrow...in Iceland....wonder if it'll go a head as planned...
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

UK airspace now just officially closed until 7 AM Sunday. Thats a pushback now from 1 AM.

My Tuesday flight still not looking good.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Got a mate who was supposed to be getting married tomorrow...in Iceland....wonder if it'll go a head as planned...
Flights in and out of Iceland from the US are fine, the volcano is on the east coast and blowing east.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oddly enough I'm watching (British) Sky News and they have a reporter and cameraman in Iceland giving updates and latest pictures of the volcano. He flew in from the USA....the main airport is open to planes flying eastbound as the ash is blowing in another direction.

I might be stuck here in Singapore for an extra day or so as my flight back to JFK on Monday night (12 hrs ahead of ET) transits in Frankfurt. Spouse flies to Zurich 2 hours later but that airport is also currently closed. I'm just going to relax, lah!
You might want to look into flying the other way round if this persists.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cruise to Iceland and then fly?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rowing boat to Iceland .

I'm actually looking into the possibility to take the Transsiberian Railroad to Beijing if there is no other way; There are direct flights from Beijing to SFO but that might require additional visas and there might not be enough time to get them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.