Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How often do you visit the U.K

How often do you visit the U.K

Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you visit the U.K

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It just feels right, no need to argue the toss on BE when I'm there!

It hasn't 'changed'.

Going to make the final move back this year.
Wow, that's great news? Any idea where you're headed?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It just feels right, no need to argue the toss on BE when I'm there!

It hasn't 'changed'.

Going to make the final move back this year.
WHAT? You're going to drop BE just because you won't be a BE??
Good luck with the move!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter will come with us, son will stay here. That's the hardest bit.
That plan works well for us, one child in each country. When we retired our daughter (who has a good job, owns a house, and has a partner) pouted and complained: "so now I suppose you'll go off to England and ABANDON me here!"
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I had a break of about three and a half years of no visits and thought I was quite content. When I did visit I was totally unprepared for the feeling of 'rightness' about the place and how much I missed it. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Sometimes it's better not to open that can of worms...
I honestly think I'm over it now. I got that the last trip back but I think things (at least in my neck of the woods) have changed to the point now where I don't think I'd fit in anymore.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's great news? Any idea where you're headed?
Birmingham area. We're not natives but lived there before we moved here.
Originally Posted by robin1234
WHAT? You're going to drop BE just because you won't be a BE??
Good luck with the move!
Probably not Thanks.
That plan works well for us, one child in each country. When we retired our daughter (who has a good job, owns a house, and has a partner) pouted and complained: "so now I suppose you'll go off to England and ABANDON me here!"
I think son does feel abandoned too but hasn't directly accused us - just referred to it as 'a pain in the arse.'

Sorry for diverting the thread.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I honestly think I'm over it now. I got that the last trip back but I think things (at least in my neck of the woods) have changed to the point now where I don't think I'd fit in anymore.
That's how I felt until I went back for a quick visit... Threw me for six how I reacted emotionally.

Last edited by Karrie72; Jan 7th 2014 at 12:30 am. Reason: Silly spell check
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's how I felt until I went back for a quick visit... Through me for six how I reacted emotionally.
It's all academic anyway, since we have no plans to go back until at least next year.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

In the last 12 months I went back three times. Once to see family. Once to say goodbye to my grandmother who had terminal cancer. Once for her funeral.

Usually though it would be once every couple of years. We try to take the children over every year or two to see family and remind them where they're partly from.

I do sort of like going. I can go round Tesco and shop without even thinking about it. But the traffic, teeny overpriced houses, sullen service, weather and cost of everything make me glad to leave.

I'm thinking of going this year but instead of visiting family I would like to go to visit old haunts in and around Bath, and have family come and visit me there.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:24 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter will come with us, son will stay here. That's the hardest bit.
BTDT, and yes, not easy at all. But once kids hit a certain age or stage they make up their own minds. With one in each country, you'll be no stranger to airlines, and it will work out.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:43 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm feeling particularly cut off from family right now and if I could get two weeks off work I think I'd go be a burden on them for a bit I can't though.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by WEBlue
BTDT, and yes, not easy at all. But once kids hit a certain age or stage they make up their own minds. With one in each country, you'll be no stranger to airlines, and it will work out.
With one child living four hundred miles away (Cape Cod) and the other 3,500 miles away (Cambridge, England) I don't think we feel much difference in the proximity/remoteness of either. Possibly would have been different back in the 1970s or earlier, when transatlantic phone calls were an expensive and rare occurrence. With him coming to the US at least once a year, and us going over there, not much difference in annual number of visits or time together between the two children.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

With one child living four hundred miles away (Cape Cod) and the other 3,500 miles away (Cambridge, England) I don't think we feel much difference in the proximity/remoteness of either. Possibly would have been different back in the 1970s or earlier, when transatlantic phone calls were an expensive and rare occurrence. With him coming to the US at least once a year, and us going over there, not much difference in annual number of visits or time together between the two children.
My mum visits me every year for 6 weeks, during which we spend about 4 hours a day together actually 'interacting' - 6 x 7 x 4 = 168 hours per year. My brother, who lives in the UK, visits my mum every 2 weeks for an afternoon - about 5 hours. 26 x 5 = 130 hours per year. Once I figured that out, I felt a lot less guilty about living over here
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:00 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this becomes very true as time goes on with the older children who develop their own adult lives and their own support systems with friends or partners. But it can be a wrench for both sides when the parents first move country and leave a younger adult behind. The child who could (and did) come back to the family home easily enough no longer can do that without significant planning and expense.

It's not a tragedy, and can be a positive part of growing up for the child and an equally positive lesson in letting go for the parent... Nonetheless, it's a wrench at first.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:11 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My mum visits me every year for 6 weeks, during which we spend about 4 hours a day together actually 'interacting' - 6 x 7 x 4 = 168 hours per year. My brother, who lives in the UK, visits my mum every 2 weeks for an afternoon - about 5 hours. 26 x 5 = 130 hours per year. Once I figured that out, I felt a lot less guilty about living over here
My mam does similar math with her friends when they say it must be hard not seeing much of us. Unfortunately there comes a point where a) they can't travel so easily (we passed that point last year) and b) they need more short but frequent interaction/assistance than is possible for us to give from here. Not sure where go for here...we are toying with a few years back in the UK, which has certain attractions, but the main downside is the potential disruption to the kids education. I know a lot of folk do it, and they will do fine, but it's the main hurdle we keep coming back to...
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Short but frequent interaction is also a lot easier on all parties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.