Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How often do you visit the U.K

How often do you visit the U.K

Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:53 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you visit the U.K

I've been back once in just over eight years. In 2007. It used to bother me a lot more than it does now. I'm sure the cost (given we spent less than $1,200.00 for three people to fly over then compared to about $900.00 per person now ) has something to do with it but I don't seem to worry that much about it.

I see my parents and my sister quite often, they've been out in some combination or other about 5 times since we moved so that's that part taken care of. Plus the longer it goes between trips the more I realise I probably don't want to go back as it'll just set the seal on the fact that it isn't the UK/NI of 2004 that I remember it as, but some newer and slightly more banal and shite version thereof.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been back since moving here eight and half years ago. We just haven't been able to afford it, my husband and I may go this year in June for my nephews wedding, keep your fingers crossed for us. Ideally I would like to go back every other year for a week or two.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've been back once in just over eight years. In 2007. It used to bother me a lot more than it does now. I'm sure the cost (given we spent less than $1,200.00 for three people to fly over then compared to about $900.00 per person now ) has something to do with it but I don't seem to worry that much about it.

I see my parents and my sister quite often, they've been out in some combination or other about 5 times since we moved so that's that part taken care of. Plus the longer it goes between trips the more I realise I probably don't want to go back as it'll just set the seal on the fact that it isn't the UK/NI of 2004 that I remember it as, but some newer and slightly more banal and shite version thereof.
I had a break of about three and a half years of no visits and thought I was quite content. When I did visit I was totally unprepared for the feeling of 'rightness' about the place and how much I missed it. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Sometimes it's better not to open that can of worms...
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I had a break of about three and a half years of no visits and thought I was quite content. When I did visit I was totally unprepared for the feeling of 'rightness' about the place and how much I missed it. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Sometimes it's better not to open that can of worms...
Yep - the feeling of 'rightness' is what I get, too.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Montfan72;11065667 When I did visit I was totally unprepared for the feeling of 'rightness' about the place .[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean...I left almost 20 years ago, and despite what lots of folk post about the changes etc, I still feel comfortable and at ease, relaxed, when I'm there. More so than I do here, even though I am happy here, settled, and am happy to be here for the foreseeable future
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yep - the feeling of 'rightness' is what I get, too.
Indeed, it's a gut feeling and one you can trust hopefully. I've been back here for two days and trying to get adjusted to the snow and general isolation is challenging. Back there, the world is still green and alive feeling. So many birds chirping away and people all over. I don't see the 'changes' people mention much when I go back. Outside of London it's still 'Merry Old England' and London has always been a melting pot and what you'd expect in a huge city.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I know what you mean...I left almost 20 years ago, and despite what lots of folk post about the changes etc, I still feel comfortable and at ease, relaxed, when I'm there. More so than I do here, even though I am happy here, settled, and am happy to be here for the foreseeable future
That's good you're at peace with where you live. For me it's the opposite, the more I visit the more I want to move back. Maybe I should stop! It's like I'm missing out on something. There's such a vibrancy there with all the hustle and bustle. People are so friendly and sweet in a quiet way. Ok I'll stop now lol!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Indeed, it's a gut feeling and one you can trust hopefully. I've been back here for two days and trying to get adjusted to the snow and general isolation is challenging. Back there, the world is still green and alive feeling. So many birds chirping away and people all over. I don't see the 'changes' people mention much when I go back. Outside of London it's still 'Merry Old England' and London has always been a melting pot and what you'd expect in a huge city.
It just feels right, no need to argue the toss on BE when I'm there!

It hasn't 'changed'.

Going to make the final move back this year.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:47 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

It just feels right, no need to argue the toss on BE when I'm there!

It hasn't 'changed'.

Going to make the final move back this year.
That's great news! Am I just behind or this new?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
That's great news! Am I just behind or this new?
It's new, it's just that I've been talking about doing it in general terms for so long, I thought I'd better keep quiet this time
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's new, it's just that I've been talking about doing it in general terms for so long, I thought I'd better keep quiet this time
What about your son and daughter Sally?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What about your son and daughter Sally?
Daughter will come with us, son will stay here. That's the hardest bit.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter will come with us, son will stay here. That's the hardest bit.
At least one is going back with you. Better than waiting a few more years and them both wanting to stay. Good luck with your plans.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
At least one is going back with you. Better than waiting a few more years and them both wanting to stay. Good luck with your plans.
That's what we thought, and she seems happy to move. Thanks!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

We've been back once in the 4 years we have been here. Forgetting the fact we cannot afford it at the moment, I am in no rush to go back to the UK any time soon. Even if we could afford it I think I would want to see more of the US before going to the UK. My family rarely visited my when I lived in England so I see them about as much now I am in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.