Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How often do you visit the U.K

How often do you visit the U.K

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:32 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you visit the U.K

I go once a year with the family and normally make it back over another 1-2 times on my own for business.

I used to combine business with my family trip so my flight was paid for but this time around I'm not doing that as I end up working more than I'm meant to. This year we're going for 19 days - fed up of always being rushed and not having anytime to relax. All my friends/family want to see us, which is great, but it ends up being our main vacation for the year more frequently than not and we've found we don't really get any downtime as a result of trying to cram everyone in, hence the longer trip this time.

Flights have gotten expensive though. When I first started flying to Houston from London circa 2005 it was circa 300 quid or so. These days I can't get a ticket <$1k and frequently it's more than $1,100. Then with the family I've found I need to hire a car these days which isn't cheap and it all starts to add up quickly.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go back several times per year but since my parents died I've only been back for family reasons ie wedding, illness etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We average about once every two years. But the first trip didn't happen until we had been here 4 years. I hope to go every year (maybe next year lol) but as our daughter gets older, she doesn't want to spend as much time as we did last summer, 5 weeks. She might be missing something at home.

We like to go, but we also feel like when we go we aren't really getting a vacation (holiday) because it's a non-stop relative journey. Would be nice to get more people over here.... but with exception to MIL (who now has a new destination since SIL and husband moved to Australia) we don't see anyone else, except my older daughter and that's not an easy journey with three kids!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends. When I was on the east coast I flew back once a year, mostly in the winter when flights were cheaper and i didnt have kids. I think I flew home on BA for $400 - $500 all in once around the year 2000.

Fast forward to now and its around $7,000 to fly a family of four back now from Arizona. So we go every 2-3 years but go in the summer because we don't want to buy a kids a whole set of winter clothing that would never use again.

I generally dislike going back to the UK now. Food and seeing friends is good but I'm done after 2 weeks. Having to do what my parents expect and my wife parents expect on my vacation really bugs me, along with so called family that can never be bothered to drive a few miles to see us when we've traveled thousands of miles to get there. When i leave the UK I'm always glad I i left. Both my wife and I are now really glad to get home and always feel that we could have spent the $8,000 on something much more enjoyable. Especially seeing as both our parents make an annual trip to see us anyway and its always for 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jan 3rd 2014 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I'm flying back tomorrow and I'm already planning my next trip, if finances allow...

Twice a year at the minimum would be ideal for me, but I've had a 3 year period of no visits due to babies and being broke. I only stay for a week or 10 days due to my job as a teacher. Summers are usually too pricey.

Curious to know what other folks do...
Hopefully you will be able to fly tomorrow and the flights not cancelled. Are you flying out of Logan? I see the BA flight to london is still on for today.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going back just after Easter for 10 days. I plan to try and get back once a year.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The world is a big place and there's lots to see ... spending valuable resources (time and money) going back to a place I spent 23 years of my life isn't my idea of getting the most out of life.

I fly my mother, my brother, and my nieces over on a regular basis (mother every year, brother/nieces every few years) to visit me and they love it; that takes care of 'family obligations', and lets them stay longer since I can go to work while they are here and traveling about.

I've visited Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria and other European destinations since coming over here, which I think is more fun. I've also met my mother at Rome airport a couple of times, and done tours of Italy with her - again, this lets me see my mother while at the same time, lets me explore something new. Now that my mother is losing her mobility (at 84, she can still walk but only just), I'm probably going to have to start going back to see her.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The world is a big place and there's lots to see ... spending valuable resources (time and money) going back to a place I spent 23 years of my life isn't my idea of getting the most out of life.
I can definitely understand this approach and I think I felt this way when I was younger. There are so many places to see, and limited time. Now that I'm in my sixties, I feel differently about it, though. I've never been to Africa, Asia, or South America, and I'm not that upset that I probably never will. (Well, except that I've been to Israel and the Israeli-occupied Sinai Peninsula, which would count as Asia and Africa, I believe!)

I remember when I used to feel that I've been to the Louvre, or York Minster, or MoMA, or Alnwick Castle (just to name four cultural/tourist destinations totally at random.). So I can check them off, no need to go again! Now, however, I feel that it might be more interesting and rewarding to keep going back to a place I've been before, to see different details or indeed see the same old thing with different eyes.

In this respect, I'd be content to move to England and live the rest of my life there, not just to vegetate in some Waitrose-induced nostalgic stupor, but recognizing that actually one could spend twenty lifetimes visiting places in England, either new places or return trips. Or just go out for a country walk and not go more than a mile or two from home.

Having said that, I'd like to return to some favorite places a bit further afield on a regular basis, Amsterdam and New York City just to name two, and visit some new places too. Oh, and take side trips to Scotland, Wales & Ireland too!
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Not only is there the cost factor but also the time. It took me 5 years to earn 3 weeks vacation. So i had 5 years of just 2 weeks vacation which pretty much had to be in the UK every year, one week with my folks and one with the mother in law. All very rushed and not at all relaxing not to mention it completely starved us of any time doing anything else with our family over here (long weekend trips etc). But apparently its all my fault for moving to America.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jan 3rd 2014 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

We're averaging once every 5 years at the moment. Unless something changes drastically though, we'll be heading home in 2014.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Hopefully you will be able to fly tomorrow and the flights not cancelled. Are you flying out of Logan? I see the BA flight to london is still on for today.
We're flying into Logan from Heathrow tomorrow, big gales here and snow there I hear. Fingers crossed we'll get home ok.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Havn't been to the UK since I moved here 2 and a half years ago.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I go back every 2 - 3 years. I used to go every year when my parents were alive (think I only missed one year). The longest I have stayed away was 6 years (not by choice, divorce, lack of money, started new job here with very little vacation time). I would actually move back if I didn't have children and grand-children here - I think about it a lot.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:59 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Before MBTTUK in June, I used to come back once a year - sometimes twice if there was something going on. Now I'm here, I'm looking forward to going on vacation to somewhere other than my mum's. Could be my son's in CO now.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:55 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you visit the UK

We have always done alternate Christmases in the UK. We also tend to have a UK visit alternate summers, so if it goes according to plan, we would have a 6 month gap then an 18 month gap between visits, but sometimes "reasons" come up that break the cycle. A few years back, we had 4 consecutive Christmases there, because the US family decided they wanted to go away somewhere else on the years we were supposed to be here, so rather than "wasting" a year with no family around (family get together is the big thing for me at Christmas), we went to the UK. This year I had an extra trip for my sisters wedding in February. So in theory I think we go twice every three years, but in practice it is more often. I'm not sure how that will be affected when we no longer have a grandparent over there to go see....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.