Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How often do you visit the U.K

How often do you visit the U.K

Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you visit the U.K

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Free cup of coffee? Is this something new? I don't remember this happening at our local Waitrose, and we left England just two years ago.
I suppose it's as new as the "my Waitrose" card has been in existence..

http://www.waitrose.com/home/mywaitr...or_coffee.html

Before that I have no idea what happened.....I have only been shopping at Waitrose since I moved down to this area as Waitrose stores appear to be more common down here in southern England than they are back home in Scotland which is a pity as most Scots would love a free tea or coffee as you can imagine....a free anything in fact.

But before you can have that free hot drink you have to produce that card to the assistant in the store restaurant.

The weather here is still absolutely crappy - still gloomy and very, very soggy underfoot and very damp elsewhere but on top of that it is getting colder as well.

Don't bother to come "home" until the weather gets better..if it ever does.....there is now talk of snow and icy roads on the distant horizon.....now it's twenty past three on a Sunday afternoon and the sky is the colour of lead and all the lights are on all around. But it isn't deterring the local Morris dancers with blackened faces and bells on their socks and flowers in their top hats braving the conditions outside one of the pubs in a local village as tomorrow, 06 January, is Plough Monday, whatever that is.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

We're getting a Waitrose this year, just a couple of miles from me ...
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

The weather here is still absolutely crappy - still gloomy and very, very soggy underfoot and very damp elsewhere but on top of that it is getting colder as well.

Don't bother to come "home" until the weather gets better..if it ever does.....there is now talk of snow and icy roads on the distant horizon.....now it's twenty past three on a Sunday afternoon and the sky is the colour of lead and all the lights are on all around. But it isn't deterring the local Morris dancers with blackened faces and bells on their socks and flowers in their top hats braving the conditions outside one of the pubs in a local village as tomorrow, 06 January, is Plough Monday, whatever that is.
I'll be coming over later this week, got a short term rental in Norfolk for three months. I'm looking forward to the weather actually. It'll probably be 30 or 40 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it is over here in the US northeast, and less precipitation. Last but not least, you have a reasonably reliable electrical supply setup in the UK. Lengthy power outages when the temperature is fifty or sixty degrees below freezing are no fun.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it's as new as the "my Waitrose" card has been in existence..

http://www.waitrose.com/home/mywaitr...or_coffee.html

Before that I have no idea what happened.....I have only been shopping at Waitrose since I moved down to this area as Waitrose stores appear to be more common down here in southern England than they are back home in Scotland which is a pity as most Scots would love a free tea or coffee as you can imagine....a free anything in fact.

But before you can have that free hot drink you have to produce that card to the assistant in the store restaurant.

So when are you actually going to get around to emigrating?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If the Scots vote "yes" for independence, technically he will then retrospectively have emigrated to the UK.

And I will have retrospectively emigrated to Scotland.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If the Scots vote "yes" for independence, technically he will then retrospectively have emigrated to the UK.

Didn't think of that
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they could set up an exchange for the two of you? Kind of like The Spy Who Came In From The Cold except you both survive?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Wow! This is Exactly the kind of info I needed to read I was beginning to think the the UK was filled with blue skies and sunshine according to some posts I've read on the UK Forum
Old Jan 5th 2014, 10:01 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother to come "home" until the weather gets better..if it ever does.....there is now talk of snow and icy roads on the distant horizon.....
Ah well, we've already got that here in my part of the USA. Around a foot of snow fell the day before yesterday, with 50 MPH winds and temp of 7C. So your weather back home sounds nice by comparison.

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'll be coming over later this week, got a short term rental in Norfolk for three months. I'm looking forward to the weather actually. It'll probably be 30 or 40 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it is over here in the US northeast, and less precipitation. Last but not least, you have a reasonably reliable electrical supply setup in the UK. Lengthy power outages when the temperature is fifty or sixty degrees below freezing are no fun.
This was my worry when the wind was moaning through the nearby treetops, but thank goodness our town didn't lose power in this particular storm. Many UK power cables are underground, IIRC. Very, very sensible!
Old Jan 5th 2014, 10:29 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Brigette
Wow! This is Exactly the kind of info I needed to read I was beginning to think the the UK was filled with blue skies and sunshine according to some posts I've read on the UK Forum
You obviously missed the "UK is full of immigrants" thread.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
As has already been stated in another posting in this thread - I already have emigrated and I think that Cheltenham is a really lovely town, the local people are nice (for the most part) and and the surrounding Cotswolds/Malvern Hills/Vale of Evesham countryside is straight out of a perfect picture postcard in a very English way, the people here are nice (for the most part) and the local beer is nae sae bad either...I have jumped the gun of what might happen back home in Scotland come September and I will probably apply for English citizenship anyway..if they will have me that is.

Anyway, my civil partner is English (from Norfolk).
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a lifeboat heading towards an iceberg.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Nope I didn't. I actually meant it literally..
Old Jan 6th 2014, 3:46 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I will probably apply for English citizenship anyway..if they will have me that is.

If the scots decide they want to stay in the UK, that will be the next referendum.....should we let them
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:30 am
Ping-ponger

As has already been stated in another posting in this thread - I already have emigrated and I think that Cheltenham is a really lovely town, the local people are nice (for the most part) and and the surrounding Cotswolds/Malvern Hills/Vale of Evesham countryside is straight out of a perfect picture postcard in a very English way, the people here are nice (for the most part) and the local beer is nae sae bad either...I have jumped the gun of what might happen back home in Scotland come September and I will probably apply for English citizenship anyway..if they will have me that is.

Anyway, my civil partner is English (from Norfolk).
I can't remember from that part of the white paper, but would you be able to claim dual citizenship (Scottish by birth, UK by residence)? I think I will qualify for Scottish citizenship by residence.

Sorry, taking the thread off-topic a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.