Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How often do you visit the U.K

How often do you visit the U.K

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How often do you visit the U.K

I'm flying back tomorrow and I'm already planning my next trip, if finances allow...

Twice a year at the minimum would be ideal for me, but I've had a 3 year period of no visits due to babies and being broke. I only stay for a week or 10 days due to my job as a teacher. Summers are usually too pricey.

Curious to know what other folks do...
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you visit the U.K

Been here 23 years, probably averaged about one trip per year. Used to be mostly one week trips with the occasional fortnight. About four years ago, when I switched to an eleven month contract, i.e. I got about two months holiday a year, we started taking three week trips to England. Now I'm retired and will be going there for three months, next week.

I used to go on my own or with one or both of the children, as my wife only joined me on the trips once in a great while. Since she can buy Sam Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout in the US, she doesn't really miss the UK that badly ...

Price wise, my first round trip to the US in 1973 cost me 90 pounds. And, it was an open ticket, youth fare. In the early 1990s, I remember flying to England with both children for a long weekend because Virgin had a promotional fare of $99 round trip. Now, the only time the total fare is less than $1,000 is low season. I think this trip, Jan - March, I paid $960.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
..... Curious to know what other folks do...
Pretty much the same as you, I go when I can afford to, but family and other expenses have been known to get in the way of plans.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Been here 23 years, probably averaged about one trip per year. Used to be mostly one week trips with the occasional fortnight. About four years ago, when I switched to an eleven month contract, i.e. I got about two months holiday a year, we started taking three week trips to England. Now I'm retired and will be going there for three months, next week.

I used to go on my own or with one or both of the children, as my wife only joined me on the trips once in a great while. Since she can buy Sam Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout in the US, she doesn't really miss the UK that badly ...

Price wise, my first round trip to the US in 1973 cost me 90 pounds. And, it was an open ticket, youth fare. In the early 1990s, I remember flying to England with both children for a long weekend because Virgin had a promotional fare of $99 round trip. Now, the only time the total fare is less than $1,000 is low season. I think this trip, Jan - March, I paid $960.
My goodness, I like the sound of that $99 fare! Back in the early 90's I recall paying $200 or so. I miss those fares. I usually travel alone or pick one of the children to accompany me also. We were left a little cash so all five of us are here now, that will most likely never happen again.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I do not anticipate returning for at least 5 years - now that my wife and I are finally together we have things to do and places we want to see.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:51 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

For me, a couple times a year for work, for a week or two each time on average, and once a year on my own dime since I met my husband. We haven't been back since he got his green card 5 months ago, but we have vague plans to do so sometime around second quarter 2014, money and work schedules permitting.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Over 23 years it varied a lot, depending on my financial circumstances. I think the longest period without a visit was probably close to 5 years, when I was a student.

Even when I had the money, I'd never go more than once a year. I figured if I was going to fork out all that money for a flight, I should spend at least a couple of weeks over there - and early on, some of my trips were more like a month. To be brutally honest, some of the trips ended up being a bit of a chore - people at home can be very enthusiastic until you turn up on the doorstep, and the expectation was that I'd hare around the country visiting people.

Almost all my trips were in the summer - like you, it was the only convenient time (as a teacher) - but as you said, it s more expensive in the summer.

Now I'm over in the UK and the US is my "other home" (not literally, but figuratively) I'm fortunate to get over there usually twice a year, for conferences. That's convenient because I can claim the flight expenses (but I obviously pay for additional expenses for the extra days I take as vacation).

I currently have almost 150,000 FF miles and I'm considering using them for a big US trip in a year or two. They're with USAir, so I think I would probably have to use them for trips that include the US, but if anyone knows different (e.g., could I use them for a flight from UK to somewhere in the east, using one of the Star Alliance carriers?).

Sorry, slightly off-topic. I should probably start a separate thread.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, with the merger of US Airways and AA, by the time you get to using them they will likely be OneWorld miles (assuming they are transferable) so you could certainly use them on BA, JAL, Cathy Pacific, Malaysia, Qantas, Qatar and a few others.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:07 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I do roughly 4-5 trips per year, each lasting about 7-10 days - all for work (but get chance to see mates etc. at the same time).
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fortunate that I work for the same company I was with in the UK, and they send me over to London for business about once a year on average, and UK colleagues come here too. Reportedly our new overall boss wants us to increase the frequency which would be excellent.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to be able to go over about once a year, but lack of finances and lack of a decent amount of vacation time have made it more like once every 2-3 years. We did go over for Christmas 2012 for a week.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the typical vacation allowance in the US, I'd be surprised if more than just a few people returned to the UK each year. I felt very fortunate to have the flexibility that came with a job in higher education.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to go twice a year, but there's no way it's financially possible, especially with a growing family. Having been here for 7 years I have visited just once, I wish it was much much more.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over end of 2006 and went back for the first time last year. We will probably go back again in 2015. However most years family prefer to come visit us.

When we lived in the UK we visited family in the US once or twice a year, but they never came to visit us at all.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
I would love to go twice a year, but there's no way it's financially possible, especially with a growing family. Having been here for 7 years I have visited just once, I wish it was much much more.
I understand that feeling, it's difficult isn't it? Maybe you could start a little fund with spare change, it soon adds up.

In my experience a week is too short, flies by and by the time you've got very your jet lag it's time to head home. More than two weeks can be tricky also, you start to wear out the welcome mat and run out of cash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.