Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:44 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If you make me do that, I'm almost guaranteed to moan about it ...
Which, as a Brit, should make you happy.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Which, as a Brit, should make you happy.
Of course. I'd never moan about having something to moan about ...
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing more tiresome than a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans is a bunch of Americans moaning about a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans.

FFS.
Joining the moaning queue, dear?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is starting to sound like an episode of 'Allo 'Allo
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:22 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing more tiresome than a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans is a bunch of Americans moaning about a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans.

FFS.
How do I say I agree.. oh yeah...
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:24 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is starting to sound like an episode of 'Allo 'Allo
And we all know what happened to that... after 15 years or so.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung
As a Scousistan citizen, I got used to saying i was from Liverpool and most people knowing where the city was. Mostly the soccer connection is what clued people in. In America it is different, few know soccer, but surprisingly many do not know where the Beatles are from. It is largely age driven. On 'American Idol', when they had a 'Beatles songs' week, a few of the contestants did not really know who the Beatles were.
Just catching up with this thread but I wanted to point out that this probably was much more to do with age than them being American. On Dancing On Ice a couple of years ago they had a guy in his early twenties, if that, who they gave a punk number to skate to, and he had never heard of punk, even though he was a Brit and punk started in the UK! Hard for those of us in our 40s to believe really!
Old Dec 30th 2011, 10:34 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

If you make me do that, I'm almost guaranteed to moan about it ...
My DH is King of the Spread Sheets and would get a charge out of plotting the statistics.

Me, not so much.

It's that left brain, right brain thing.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 3:23 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My DH is King of the Spread Sheets and would get a charge out of plotting the statistics.

Me, not so much.

It's that left brain, right brain thing.
I don't mind spreadsheets and stats and that. Flowcharts just smack of that godawful business-speak buzzwordy jargon shite that middle managers get such a hard-on over to me, though.

I'm a dichotomy though, since I have all the logical-OCD-left brain manner of thinking but I'm also into the creative, arty right brain stuff too.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Squirrel
even though he was a Brit and punk started in the UK! Hard for those of us in our 40s to believe really!
Not strictly true. New York's punk scene was at its height with bands like The Ramones, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers and early Blondie and Talking Heads, while the UK scene was still in its infancy. However, punk fashion as we know it has its roots in the UK with a certain "entrepreneur" Malcolm McClaren pretty much inventing the look as a way to shift clothing from his shop.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fromthemanorborn
Not strictly true. New York's punk scene was at its height with bands like The Ramones, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers and early Blondie and Talking Heads, while the UK scene was still in its infancy. However, punk fashion as we know it has its roots in the UK with a certain "entrepreneur" Malcolm McClaren pretty much inventing the look as a way to shift clothing from his shop.
Once again the male gets the credit for what the female did.
Vivienne Westwood me thinks
Old Dec 30th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Once again the male gets the credit for what the female did.
Vivienne Westwood me thinks
I think it was pretty much a joint effort. She was the creator from his ideas.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:38 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
punk started in the UK!
Ah, this old debate. The Sonics's debut came out in 1965. The Stooges' and MC5's respective debut came out in 1969. The New York Dolls and Death arrived in 1971. By about 1974 there were protopunk scenes in most major American cities with bands like Rocket from the Tombs and Modern Lovers starting to produce stuff. The Ramone's debut dropped in 1976.

...on the other hand, I'd ague that 1964's "You Really Got Me Now" by the Kinks is a definitive bit of punk. Also, Hawkwind was dangerously close to punk when Lemmy took control in the mid seventies "Silver Machine" is definitely punk.

...on the other hand, you could argue that the "golden period" late seventies/early eighties punk was derived from early rock and rockabilly. The sneering attitude, the stripped down rhythm guitars and 4/4 beat. In that case, I nominate Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent and The Burnette brothers as the first true punks. You can't deny that there's more than a little Gene Vincent and Johnny Burnette in Johnny Rotten's shtick. Early Carl Perkins and, of course, Elvis were critical to this sound as well. You could even throw Ike Turner in there for "Rocket 88". Why stop there... Chuck Berry?

...of course, they derived their sound from people like Bob Wills and Bo Diddley.

...in the final analysis, it all goes back to Robert Johnson.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Also, Hawkwind was dangerously close to punk when Lemmy took control in the mid seventies "Silver Machine" is definitely punk.
No way!!! I've been a fan of Hawkwind since the 70s and if a Punk Rocker would have shown up at any Hawkwind Concert, they would have been ripped apart.

Psychodelic Rock/Space Rock whatever. Punk Rock definately not. Dave Brock, Huw Lloyd Langton and Ginger Baker would definately not classify themselves as Punk.

Jim.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:10 am
Brit+ American couple :)

Tindsay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by augigi
I'm an Aussie in Pittsburgh. I don't actually find that much of a "Pittsburgh accent" except for on a few notable words (dahn-tahn instead downtown, Stillers instead of Steelers, etc), but they do have a lot of strange words and sentence structure (yinz, nebby, redd up, leaving out the "to be" in sentences etc)

I occasionally am asked if aussie but 99% of the time people ask if I'm from England. I say yes, the very southern island. If outside Pgh and someone asks where I'm from, I say "Pittsburgh" and that really confuses them. After 4 years here, I do have a tinge of american accent just because I am honestly not understood on the phone etc unless I tweak how I say some words.

It still BAFFLES me that many, many americans literally cannot understand what word or sentence I am saying, when I speak excellent english. I mean, I understand thick accents, but I don't have one, and also it is ENGLISH just like they talk. Heh
My fiancé is from England but everyone here always thinks he's Australian! We live in Pittsburgh too... But this happens everywhere. Lol! I mean, I lived in England for a year and I'm still not really sure what country the Geiko gecko is from...... ? maybe it's genetic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.