Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I confess that I have mistaken Australian, Kiwi, South Africa and English. In my defense, I don't speak to people from those countries on a daily basis (aside from the computer). I can tell the difference when they are spoken one after the other, but not otherwise.

I can tell Scottish and Irish for some reason, however.
Well I have to confess ... at work, we recently hired a new guy. He rattled on in some familiar accent, and I said 'are you from Australia?'. 'No, London' he said. Now, he did fess up that he'd lived in Aussie for some time, but on further listening, I could catch the solid cockney accent.

I'm somewhat convinced there is some similarity between Cockney and Aussie!

As others have said ... I can't see why it's a source of annoyance ...
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well I have to confess ... at work, we recently hired a new guy. He rattled on in some familiar accent, and I said 'are you from Australia?'. 'No, London' he said. Now, he did fess up that he'd lived in Aussie for some time, but on further listening, I could catch the solid cockney accent.

I'm somewhat convinced there is some similarity between Cockney and Aussie!

Tell you what - go find a yank and ask them what part of Canada they are from, see what kind of reaction you get.

Just as bad as the dumb ****s who think I'm Irish
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:12 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Tell you what - go find a yank and ask them what part of Canada they are from, see what kind of reaction you get.

why not? I get asked if I'm from here by my fellow Yanks? I'll cut the "furriners" some slack since we often all sound the same to many of them, but really, Joe Blow from East Cupcake, do I sound like a southern belle?!!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:34 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I usually ask people where they're from, rather than just assuming.. I just wish that the ones that want to assume, would do me the same courtesy.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:35 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
why not? I get asked if I'm from here by my fellow Yanks? I'll cut the "furriners" some slack since we often all sound the same to many of them, but really, Joe Blow from East Cupcake, do I sound like a southern belle?!!
Too many years of picking peaches, peanuts and cotton, Cindy, They look at your hands before they hear your voice.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
I usually ask people where they're from, rather than just assuming.. I just wish that the ones that want to assume, would do me the same courtesy.
Why? Then you wouldn't have anything to moan about.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 11:00 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Too many years of picking peaches, peanuts and cotton, Cindy, They look at your hands before they hear your voice.
well there is that...........
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Why? Then you wouldn't have anything to moan about.
Good shot!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
well there is that...........
You could try wearing gloves, they'll pay more attention to your voice.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Matter of context probably.

Where we were living, there were so many Brits that it's hard not to have not heard the accents, they were everywhere.

Where I am now, less common, so probably a good chance of being a novelty, so I'd not be as annoyed by it here.

Does get a little annoying when so far out, fair enough if you ask them to guess, but I'd much rather they just asked than go on about how much like a Aussie you sound like

Though I did get some stick a while back about thinking a Aussie sounding like a Canadian, but to be fair, she had lived in Canada for 18 years and had only been in the US for the last year or so

I got a Saffa wrong too, but then he'd also lived in Australia and England for many years prior to coming to the US.

I'm getting really shit with accents these days, but more often than not, I'm at least able to get the country right though
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Good shot!
More of a distant miss, than anything deserving of a good ole USA back patting.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing more tiresome than a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans is a bunch of Americans moaning about a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans.

FFS.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
The only thing more tiresome than a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans is a bunch of Americans moaning about a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans.

FFS.
It's hard to know where to draw the line though. One American moaning about a bunch of Americans moaning about a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans gets quite confusing
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:41 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to know where to draw the line though. One American moaning about a bunch of Americans moaning about a bunch of Brits moaning about Americans gets quite confusing
This may require a flow chart.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Leslie
This may require a flow chart.
If you make me do that, I'm almost guaranteed to moan about it ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.