Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Originally Posted by kimilseung
On a side note, went to see Robin Hood at a Children's Theater, a couple of weeks ago, it was very good, they tied it in to the Occupy Movement, one of the reasons it is a good theater, they treat the kids as if they have a brain. Funny listening to some adult critiques though, they did not seem to get the relevance.
Funny how peoples' minds narrow as their arses widen.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cindyabs
D I have seen the Errol Flynn version many times. Did you know Basil Rathbone was reaaly quite the accomplished swordsman ut of course had to let Errol Flynn win. Also used to watch the TV series with Richard Greene as a youngster. I liked the movie with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn too,

I'd say a fair few Americans know who Robin Hood is. Don't believe everything you read,

Also I'm not in my 60s yet Lisa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd read/heard that before! I also doubt that business about a lot of USC's not knowing about Robin Hood. And I can go you one better - I saw Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood" at the movie theatre when it first came out - in the cinema that had the sign hanging outside that said "Cool Inside" and where they popped their own popcorn!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
lol, sorry Cindy. I'm a fan of old movies, for sure (I was raised by my grandparents - grandmother is 96!) But the movie was released in 1938, so not typically a movie everyone would have seen (yes I know its been on tv! lol)
1938??? Guess I didn't see the first run, then!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My son wanted to go as well and he had a broken ankle at the time. It wouldn't have been cricket (HA!) to have left him with her ...

The Cubs lost though, so I could at least secretly laugh at all the sad ****ers who yelled in my ear for three hours constantly.
There are some in that area among whom rooting for the "Cubbies" is practically a religion!. At least it was when I lived up there.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 11:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I'd read/heard that before! I also doubt that business about a lot of USC's not knowing about Robin Hood. And I can go you one better - I saw Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood" at the movie theatre when it first came out - in the cinema that had the sign hanging outside that said "Cool Inside" and where they popped their own popcorn!
My name being Robin, I can confirm that most Americans seem to be familiar with R. Hood, since every time I've been introduced to anyone they usually come out with some corny RH-related joke. They all seem to think that Nottingham is some stretch of bucolic forest, rather than a bustling modern metropolis..
Old Dec 27th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
My name being Robin, I can confirm that most Americans seem to be familiar with R. Hood, since every time I've been introduced to anyone they usually come out with some corny RH-related joke. They all seem to think that Nottingham is some stretch of bucolic forest, rather than a bustling modern metropolis..
Yeah, I was one of 'em who thought Nottingham was as portrayed in the film and TV versions of Robin Hood's exploits.....until my OH took me there! HAH! Boy, did I feel silly. Same thing with the "New" Forest. Considering Hollywood's presentation of things "olde English", is it any wonder Americans have such an unrealistic mental image of England? Having learned as much about your little island as I have by being given Cook's tour by my own private tour guide, now I try to translate my visions to people who've never been there - impossible, I've found.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 3:03 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was one of 'em who thought Nottingham was as portrayed in the film and TV versions of Robin Hood's exploits.....until my OH took me there! HAH! Boy, did I feel silly. Same thing with the "New" Forest. Considering Hollywood's presentation of things "olde English", is it any wonder Americans have such an unrealistic mental image of England? Having learned as much about your little island as I have by being given Cook's tour by my own private tour guide, now I try to translate my visions to people who've never been there - impossible, I've found.
Of course thanks to hollywood, you probably also know that we're all evil, just because of our accents.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Of course thanks to hollywood, you probably also know that we're all evil, just because of our accents.
Well, ideas about accents must've changed over the years - for me, English accents always denoted singular wisdom, heroism, honesty and propriety (not necessarily in that order). It was the guys with the Russian or German accents who were wearing black hats - the Brits were the good guys! Don't really know just how I got those impressions, but they've stuck - I even think my OH qualifies for 2 or 3 of those traits!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 3:20 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Well, ideas about accents must've changed over the years - for me, English accents always denoted singular wisdom, heroism, honesty and propriety (not necessarily in that order). It was the guys with the Russian or German accents who were wearing black hats - the Brits were the good guys! Don't really know just how I got those impressions, but they've stuck - I even think my OH qualifies for 2 or 3 of those traits!
We're all of the above, and the bad guys too. Sometimes even I'm amazed at our multitude of wonderful characteristics.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're all of the above, and the bad guys too. Sometimes even I'm amazed at our multitude of wonderful characteristics.
Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back! I do appreciate the attempt at humility though, albeit somewhat braggardly!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 4:00 pm

Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back! I do appreciate the attempt at humility though, albeit somewhat braggardly!
You're obviously getting me mixed up with someone else, back-patting oneself is an American trait.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're obviously getting me mixed up with someone else, back-patting oneself is an American trait.
Yeah, but - we learned it from you. You just got bored with it and stopped being so obvious with it. We liked it so we but we made it part of being American!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 5:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but - we learned it from you. You just got bored with it and stopped being so obvious with it. We liked it so we but we made it part of being American!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 6:22 pm
***** regular

Yorkshire Loiner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Old Dec 27th 2011, 6:41 pm

You can now go and pat yourself on the back for being correct.. this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.