Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Originally Posted by quiltman
If our top loader lasts 10 years I'll be extremely pleased!
Generally, modern appliances do not last and are not easily repairable economically
In part, this is why I've kept this machine as long as I did. My mother in the UK seems to replace her front loader every 5-7 years. I didn't want to get on to some white goods buying treadmill. When I bought this house I inherited this washer and dryer set and had it in mind that they were the first things I'd have replace. Then all that happened is they worked fine and didn't seem to need replacing. The washer still has done three loads of laundry today. It's just beginning to make a noise. The first time it did it I thought one of our cats was puking in the basement so it's not a very loud sound.

I don't remember using stain sticks when I had a front loader in the UK, and my main reason for thinking of having one is possibly only nostalgic. All in all its only some machine in a room you hardly use and don't have to sit looking at. So long as the darn thing washes clothes, I suppose it's not a big deal.

Thanks so much to those who have given input. It was important because I did want to ask a group of people who had grown up with the small UK front loaders and then moved over to the U.S. A lot of the reviews on sites I was looking at had Americans giving views of the first generation front loaders and saying never again. I'm either going to go with an LG top loader or front loader and that will be between me and the American other half.

I'm terribly sorry for those who might be bored with the thread. For what it's worth, I either don't click on or stop scrolling down on threads that bore me on BE.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:37 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm terribly sorry for those who might be bored with the thread. For what it's worth, I either don't click on or stop scrolling down on threads that bore me on BE.
Are you kidding? I've been F5ing this thing all day in anticipation of hungryhorace's next post.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
Thanks so much to those who have given input. I'm either going to go with an LG top loader or front loader.
But will they give you the bang for your buck of a free loader?

Epilogue
It all comes out in the rinse

stay tuned......
Old Apr 21st 2015, 5:04 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
It did, because electronics were very unreliable, which of course isn't the case anymore. Repairmen often had their own rental businesses too, and I know a couple that became seriously wealthy.
I remember my dad taking tubes from the TV to the drugstore to be checked on a machine in front. New tubes were available (that is if a good pounding on the side of the set didn't fix it).
Old Apr 21st 2015, 11:30 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't you mean you love yet another thread on this subject?
Well...
Old Apr 21st 2015, 11:40 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Are you kidding? I've been F5ing this thing all day in anticipation of hungryhorace's next post.

I enjoy these threads too.

The LG front loaders are fine. (That's why we just purchased a new set, having left our previous ones in the house we moved out from).

Never had any issues with them at all. I would suspect the Samsung's are pretty much the same.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm either going to go with an LG top loader or front loader and that will be between me and the American other half.
I bought my LG (top loader!) washer and dryer a couple of years ago when they were rated a Consumer Reports best buy. I have had no problems, other than the washer seems glacially slow in comparison to the antique it replaced. I should say that there are just two of us, and I don't do a vast amount of laundry, so it doesn't get a workout day after day.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

The LG front loaders are fine. (That's why we just purchased a new set, having left our previous ones in the house we moved out from).

Never had any issues with them at all. I would suspect the Samsung's are pretty much the same.
We bought a Kitchenaid (I think) top loader when we first arrived, mainly because it looked huge compared to the UK sized front loader we had in Singapore* - it was pretty useless - used a lot of water and was very slow, so, after about 4 or 5 years, when a hose let go, even though it was easily repairable, I used that as an argument for a new washer and we went for the front loading LG Tromm Steamwasher thingy which was a CR Best Buy at the time. Had it 8(?) years now and no problems. Big capacity, low water use, washes well, not a single maintenance issue (yet), can do long wash, speedwash, hot wash, cold wash, pre wash, whatever - I can't imagine what other "flexibilty" we would need. Apparently we can do a steam wash as well, according to the title, but the manual is so crap I don't actually know what that means

*to be fair, the washer in Singapore never got used, cos our washing was done by Alimah, who insisted on hand-washing and ironing everything. Even the smalls. Boy, I miss that lady......
Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:17 pm

It's easier to use a top loader as a hot tub.

If that is a consideration.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This makes me very nostalgic. We've not had a washing machine thread in the Aus boards in years.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This makes me very nostalgic. We've not had a washing machine thread in the Aus boards in years.
Do Australian expats favor top loaders or front loaders?
Old Apr 21st 2015, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do Australian expats favor top loaders or front loaders? ....
Front-loaders, duh! ..... If you used a top-loader in Australia all the water would run out!
Old Apr 21st 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Front-loaders, duh! ..... If you used a top-loader in Australia all the water would run out!
That's where the magnets come into play.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It'll all come out in the wash.

..errrr, what?
Old Apr 21st 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf
It'll all come out in the wash.

..errrr, what?
It's certainly nothing to get steamed up about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.