Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Old Aug 25th 2015, 1:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Originally Posted by mrken30
Why do you have to buy a washer and dryer in a set? Why not get the best washer and best dryer?
You don't have to, but stores tend to give better pricing when bought in sets, but other folks just replace each one when needed.

My dad has a 25 year old washer but a brand new dryer, until that washer breaks, they won't go replacing it...lol

I use a locally made soap to wash the clothes in, works well and I find it works better then most of the mainstream detergents do. Also has no dyes or scents so I don't break out, even Tide Free and Clear and others cause skin issues, so I can't use them, and never fabric softener.

Clothes don't smell, they look clean, so I am happy.

I wash all the towels in bleach as they are white, not concerned about softness, and bleach + laundry soap works well.

I can't say I have ever had issues with washing clothes, they always come out clean.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 7:53 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is that only for whites or can it be used with coloureds?.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I have never heard that one before. Is that as well as your normal powder?
I add a single dishwasher tablet along with the regular amount of detergent.

It works with colors or whites, but I wouldn't use it with delicates.

I suspect the brand doesn't matter (although gel or liquid tabs may not be as effective if it is the abrasive quality that helps gets stains out). I'm using a single Finish Powerball Tab with all my whites, and when washing colors that have grass stains or oil/grease stains from working in the shop. It does a good job of getting blood out of scrubs too.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 10:48 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 26th 2015, 7:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My dad has a 25 year old washer but a brand new dryer, until that washer breaks, they won't go replacing it...lol
Interesting. Usually dryers have a longer life span than the washers inasmuch as they are mechanically a lot simpler and there is much less to break.

We have a Frigidaire front loading pair. Look up Frigidaire/Kenmore spider arm and you will see a problem in the longevity of front loaders. We replaced the drum and still using the two machines 15 years later.