Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:40 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front loader or top loader washing machine?

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
One basic reason that front loaders are more prone to vibration issues is that they spin at a higher RPM.

If this fact induces trauma amongst some of you, then you might require some repairs of a psychological nature. Otherwise, it might help to install the machine on a platform that will supplement the shock absorbers that are included with the machine, and to otherwise make sure that the machine is set up properly.
Most front loaders I have ever installed come with the ability to level the feet to ensure the vibration when spinning is kept to a minimal. Oh, and remove the transport bolts. The guys in our apartment block didn't realise these needed removing. My washing machine started moving across our floor as a result !

FWIW, the top loader I suffered with for 3 weeks in our apartment was unbelievably loud. Not just spinning but just in general operation. How Americans put up with such substandard washing machines is beyond me.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Apr 20th 2015 at 7:45 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I've got a big "smart" samsung toploader. No agitator in the middle and after 18 months of using this I won't go back to using a front loader until all the kids have left home. I can get 3 loads of washing done and dried easily in a day, so I'm not having to put a load in every single day and I don't usually have to do more than maybe another load that week.

Clothes don't seem to be damaged, or maybe that's because the kids will wreck them before any washer can! Washes just as well as my AEG did in Europe but takes a fraction of the time.

The toploaders are cheaper to buy than the frontloaders and they do use more water but for me...4 washes a week in a huge toploader is probably less water than a frontloader used more frequently.
Thanks

Do you have to mess about with stain removers for grass or erm, biological stains?
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

This was one of the front loaders I had my eye on.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
Thanks

Do you have to mess about with stain removers for grass or erm, biological stains?
yes. Just like I did in Europe...

The best thing is that I can get my washable sofa cover in it and with a pre-soak option it comes out just great. And it's a white cover!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:16 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Does your washing machine offer any stain removal as part of the wash? Mine does; from blood, oil, sweat, etc, it has a pretty sizeable list. The key is the cold pre-wash. I don't usually bother to use a stain remover as the appropriate stain removal cycle clears it.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Does your washing machine offer any stain removal as part of the wash? Mine does; from blood, oil, sweat, etc, it has a pretty sizeable list. The key is the cold pre-wash. I don't usually bother to use a stain remover as the appropriate stain removal cycle clears it.
ahem. I said the washer was from 1978.

Here is a picture of my control panel. This thread really wasn't a piss take. I really do need a new washing machine.
Attached Thumbnails Front loader or top loader washing machine?-image.jpg  
Old Apr 20th 2015, 8:55 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a picture of my control panel. This thread really wasn't a piss take. I really do need a new washing machine.
You could donate it to a history museum.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:06 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Or to a modern day washing machine manufacturer so they can reverse engineer it to discover how they used to build things to last more than half a dogs watch
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Or to a modern day washing machine manufacturer so they can reverse engineer it to discover how they used to build things to last more than half a dogs watch. .....
Why would they want to manufacture machines that last 35+ years when they can charge more for machines that only last one third as long, and therefore sell three times as many machines?
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

?!?!? My washing machine is almost silent -
top of the line front loaders are whisper silent.
Unlike some of their owners

......together with this thread
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Our washer has simple controls as in this picture
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:33 pm
Banned

You should be a comedian MMcD. I could stand at the back and throw stuff at you
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:44 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why would they want to manufacture machines that last 35+ years when they can charge more for machines that only last one third as long, and therefore sell three times as many machines?
True - the manufacturers are the only consistent winners in our modern throw away society....
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:56 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

You should be a comedian MMcD. I could stand at the back and throw stuff at you
And then use the stain removal program on your washing machine to bet her clothes clean again.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
True - the manufacturers are the only consistent winners in our modern throw away society....
Thankfully Miele doesn't subscribe to this ethos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.