Fish!

Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:40 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish!

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I miss the vacuum packed smoked haddock that they had in the supermarkets in the UK. Not sure if it was artificially flavored but it was artificially colored a bright yellow.
I used to love this.

I don't think I've seen canned pilchards over here, used to have them all the time on toast in the UK.
And this.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mrs P suggested that sushi is the fish equivalent of an iPhone - it seems to attract a strangely obsessive/defensive following!
There is a lot of bad sushi about so unfortunately lots of people have a bad first experience. You need to find one that Japanese eat at. Skip anything with a conveyor or the words "all you can eat" or that plays loud music or has rolls with beef in them.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:28 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
a conveyor or the words "all you can eat"
This sounds like a dream I sometimes have.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Sausage looks good, and the chips look like proper fish shop chips, but is that the "fish bits" rather than a full fillet? Looks a lot closer to the real thing than most of the stuff we get around here. Its getting me in the mood - 11.30 (UK) Saturday 25th I'll be sitting down to the real deal from Priory Fish shop in Guisborough.....can't wait!
I was a bit disappointed with the haddock, it was very dry. I think I'll go back to the cod which is a single fillet. The chips were spot on though as was the sausage. That was an expensive lunch $7.50 for the haddock, $3.50 for chips and $3.50 for the sausage.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of bad sushi about so unfortunately lots of people have a bad first experience. You need to find one that Japanese eat at. Skip anything with a conveyor or the words "all you can eat" or that plays loud music or has rolls with beef in them.
I worked for a Japanese company and they said not to eat too much sushi since you can get very sick. Their assumption is that it is the quantity that makes you sick but in my opinion, the more you eat creates a greater chance of getting a bad piece.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of you know exactly what scampi is? Not American shrimp scampi but the scampi they sell in the UK? typically it was the most expensive item on the chip shop menu when i was a kid.

I was chatting to the British chip shop owner here and asked if he had scampi and he said no. Like me he could remember it being sold in chip shops but had no idea what it actually was, so i had to bing it.

Nephrops norvegicus, who would have known
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of you know exactly what scampi is? Not American shrimp scampi but the scampi they sell in the UK? typically it was the most expensive item on the chip shop menu when i was a kid.

I was chatting to the British chip shop owner here and asked if he had scampi and he said no. Like me he could remember it being sold in chip shops but had no idea what it actually was, so i had to bing it.

Nephrops norvegicus, who would have known
I always knew it as deep fried prawns, but never knew the variety.

I'd kill for some scampi and chips right now.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I always knew it as deep fried prawns, but never knew the variety.

I'd kill for some scampi and chips right now.
I keep scrolling back to the sausage pic.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I keep scrolling back to the sausage pic.
It did look rather good.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
That's fhe cloest my tongue has been to my ipad, look at those chips mmm...

Were you at The Codfather? or is Phoenix blessed with more than one decent Fish n Chip place?
Yep the codfather, the only decent place I've found here and if were closer to my work I would be in serious trouble
There are cheap fish fries that try to pass themselves off as British fish and chips but the codfather is the real deal. Although some of the pies and pasties are a bit dodgy.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... You need to find one that Japanese eat at. Skip anything with a conveyor...
Having said that, "Wasabi", in our local mall is surprisingly decent, but they don't have that much on the belt so it's a bit slow at times.

But yes, it's usually a good idea to avoid.

Quite a lot of decent places locally though, which probably helps keep the quality up.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh and those bags of claims, up in Maine, they're about a buck and some odd change for a pound bag off the coast, same bag is about $8 down my way.
I pay $9.99 a lb for little neck clams here then go on vacation to North Carolina and my brothers friend goes out on his boat and picks them up for free.

The cheapest way to get fish here is to fish for it yourself. The rec centers have man made lakes that they stock with fish, trout i think. You only pay something silly like $5 a year to be able to fish. Trouble is i can't fish to save my life. i spent an hour at a lake with the kids and caught absolutely bugger all and came back with all the line tangled around the reels

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Oct 16th 2014 at 5:26 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Kulu Kulu on Brewer Street in Soho was/is a kaiten (conveyor-belt) place that did good sushi, and it did often have Japanese people eating there, so it's not *always* a bad sign.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I worked for a Japanese company and they said not to eat too much sushi since you can get very sick. Their assumption is that it is the quantity that makes you sick but in my opinion, the more you eat creates a greater chance of getting a bad piece.
I wonder if their thinking was to do with the amount of mercury that's present in fish/sea-food these days. I understand some doctors now recommend that pregnant women should severely limit the amount of fish they eat for that reason.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the codfather, the only decent place I've found here and if were closer to my work I would be in serious trouble
There are cheap fish fries that try to pass themselves off as British fish and chips but the codfather is the real deal. Although some of the pies and pasties are a bit dodgy.
Best Fish n Chips I have had since moving to US and we found them on our road trip last year in Phoenix. It's only about 17 hours door to door, wonder if hubby would take me tonight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.